On this day 1997

MattM4

9 years ago already :lol: I was there, made the long trip from Bordeaux to Montpellier with me dad. Brilliant day out, we were sitting amongst loads of French fans, and went completely wild when Shearer fumbled in the winner.

From NUFC.com:

1997 28,000 fans were in the Stade de La Mosson, Montpellier as England defeated hosts France 1-0 thanks to a Shearer goal in Le Tournoi.

Our man was first to react when Barthez spilled a Sheringham effort in the final minutes of the game.

This was a dry run for the World Cup held the following summer and also involved Brazil and Italy.

England ultimately won the football-shaped Tournoi trophy, which remains their only senior tournament success achieved on foreign soil.

al971ti.jpg

Had we done as well a year later, I would probably have been set for life in terms of footballing joy.

Matt, are you not French?  Or have I got this horribly wrong? :blink:

145750[/snapback]

i have dual nationality as I was born in France (and lived here most of my life) but both my parents are English.

(very much a Brit at heart though)

:lol:

Don't think English and French are that compatible though. When France beat Brazil in the 98 final it classes as one of the worst days of my life.

When they were not only poor, but embarrasingly so, in 2002 it was a dream come true.

I'm half Swiss and I guess I want them to do well, but England will always come first. The main reason why I like Rooney is because of Euro 2004 and England's 3-0 win over Switzerland.

Guest alex

Robert Lee played in it iirc, plus Batty and Shearer (all toon at the time). Clark would have been at the Mackems then (in 1997). Memory's a bit hazy like. My main recollection is that free-kick by Roberto Carlos against France.

I'm sure Anal Oliver would have mentioned it in his wank bank Clark articles as of late, never seen Anal refer to him as an 'ex-Enlgand star' or owt. He would be currently milking it if he'd ever got a full cap.

He was a late call up I think, but I'm fully prepared to be proved wrong as I'm not sure myself.

Mind just because the fact isn't in possession of Alan Oliver it doesn't mean it's not true!

He was a late call up I think, but I'm fully prepared to be proved wrong as I'm not sure myself.

Mind just because the fact isn't in possession of Alan Oliver it doesn't mean it's not true!

145987[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure Clark never played in Le Tournoui, if ever for England.

Guest alex
Clark was in the squad but didn't appear.

146218[/snapback]

Was he still a toon player and subsequently bought before the new season started by Peytar Reid?