How hard did we try to get Martin O'Neill ?

Jimbo

Martin O'Neill has revealed he would have accepted the England manager's job had the FA offered it to him.

The Northern Irishman - who topped a BBC ICM poll about who should succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson - was overlooked after being interviewed for the job.

He told Five Live Sport: "It is one of the great jobs in football. Had it been offered, then I would have been absolutely foolish to turn it down.

"But I didn't get the job. I have no recriminations and it's over."

Steve McClaren eventually took the job after Luis Felipe Scolari rejected it.

The former Middlesbrough manager, who is assistant coach to Eriksson at this summer's World Cup, will take on the role full-time after the finals in Germany.

I'm not sure whether I ever considered myself right in the frame

Martin O'Neill

Ex-Celtic and Leicester boss O'Neill believes McClaren was always a front-runner because of him being on Eriksson's staff.

The 54-year-old Northern Irishman met FA officials to discuss the job and said: "I think the interview went fine.

"Whether people on the other side of the table were impressed, unimpressed, had their own particular agenda, eventually you can come up with all sorts of reasons, the fact is when the dust settled I wasn't the England manager."

Even when Scolari pulled out of the running, O'Neill had resigned himself to the fact that he would not get the job.

"I didn't think I was back in the frame. I'm not so sure whether I ever considered myself right in the frame.

"I did the interview and some time later another manager was appointed."

However, he remains open to the possibility of returning to football in the near future, despite apparently turning down the chance to succeed McClaren at Middlesbrough.

"I think my wife would want me to get back to football because I'm an absolute nuisance about the place at the moment," he said.

Doesn't he not want to move so far away from his family home though?

145860[/snapback]

Where does he live ?

Can't see too many managers living by that set of criteria, somewhat limits the potential of finding success.

145860[/snapback]

Where does he live ?

Can't see too many managers living by that set of criteria, somewhat limits the potential of finding success.

145864[/snapback]

I think he lives down Wycombe kind of area IIRC.

We've missed a huge opportunity imo and will live to regret it.

Shepherd can no longer attract top-class managers for whatever reason - the employment of Souness and now Roeder bare testament to this.

How many other chairmen think its a good idea when trying to appoint a manager, to stipulate that they have to work with the chairmans chosen backroom staff?

He'll be buying his own players next!

How many other chairmen think its a good idea when trying to appoint a manager, to stipulate that they have to work with the chairmans chosen backroom staff?

145928[/snapback]

He's already done that with Butt, Kluivert and Luque :lol:

145928[/snapback]

He's already done that with Butt, Kluivert and Luque :lol:

145967[/snapback]

Niva, really?

My impression form the interview on 5 Live this morning was that Martin O'Neill would have come to Newcastle if Shepherd had been prepared to wait a bit longer as the position regarding his wife's health has recently impoved. The full interview is on at 7pm tonight.

As far as the signing of Luque goes that was definately down to Souness although I think Shepherd (&Shearer) signed Owen.

As far as the signing of Luque goes that was definately down to Souness although I think Shepherd (&Shearer) signed Owen.

145997[/snapback]

I agree about Owen but the within newspaper circles it's apparently the worst kept secret that Freddie and his son Kenneth signed Luque. Something to do with a certain Agency and the fact they'd become pally with the Depor lot during the Intertwobob.

I'd also add Kluivert as a Fat Fred signing. Yes Leazes, I know chairman aren't suppose to buy players, that's my point.

145860[/snapback]

Where does he live ?

145864[/snapback]

I think he lives down Wycombe kind of area IIRC.

145881[/snapback]

You're right, he lives in Bucks

I think O'Neill rightly saw what level of interference he'd have to put up with from Shepherd at Newcastle and wisely decided to give the place a swerve. And that's even before Alan Shearer was officially confirmed in the background lurking role.

I think O'Neill would have been a good appointment, so bad news for supporters, but he'll be better off personally away from Gallowgate.

I think O'Neill rightly saw what level of interference he'd have to put up with from Shepherd at Newcastle and wisely decided to give the place a swerve. And that's even before Alan Shearer was officially confirmed in the background lurking role.

I think O'Neill would have been a good appointment, so bad news for supporters, but he'll be better off personally away from Gallowgate.

146013[/snapback]

:lol:

It's funny cos it's true, tbh!

Wouldn't make his mind up - wanted to run at the Engalnd job so wouldn't call FFS - now condemned to wait for Mad Sir Alex to be finally sent to the funny farm.....................

Guest Sima
Wouldn't make his mind up - wanted to run at the Engalnd job so wouldn't call FFS - now condemned to wait for Mad Sir Alex to be finally sent to the funny farm.....................

146049[/snapback]

No chance, if any British manager gets the Man Utd job it'll be Mark Hughes