Best England team of recent years

Euro 96 was 3-5-2 rather than 4-4-2 wasn't it?

146577[/snapback]

RB- Neville

LB- Pearce

CB- Adams

CB- Southgate

RM- El Macca

LM- Sicknote

CM- Ince

CM- Gazza

CF- Sheeeeerar

CF- Sheringham

Even i remember that and i was only 11 at the time :lol:

146590[/snapback]

They changed the system half way through the tourney from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 IIRC.

146623[/snapback]

aren't you thinking of italia 90?

we need a soopfan smilie i reckon...

146635[/snapback]

Nope.

Southgate definitely played as 3 man defence.

Platt?

146634[/snapback]

I think that might be a good shout actually mate! Can anyone verify? Surprised me that did, looking back. I'm sure I can remember him playing now.

146637[/snapback]

He scored penalties against Spain and Germany in the shootouts IIRC.

146648[/snapback]

:lol: Reckon you're right. For some reason just seems strange to me to think he was still playing for England in 1996-just always seems synonymous with Italia '90 I spose.

146577[/snapback]

RB- Neville

LB- Pearce

CB- Adams

CB- Southgate

RM- El Macca

LM- Sicknote

CM- Ince

CM- Gazza

CF- Sheeeeerar

CF- Sheringham

146590[/snapback]

146623[/snapback]

146635[/snapback]

Nope.

146649[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure we were 4-4-2 all the way through. Platt and Jamie Repknapp came on as subs throughout the tournament but we didn't go 3-5-2 until Hoddle took over after Venables finished.

146577[/snapback]

RB- Neville

LB- Pearce

CB- Adams

CB- Southgate

RM- El Macca

LM- Sicknote

CM- Ince

CM- Gazza

CF- Sheeeeerar

CF- Sheringham

146590[/snapback]

146623[/snapback]

146635[/snapback]

Nope.

146649[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure we were 4-4-2 all the way through. Platt and Jamie Repknapp came on as subs throughout the tournament but we didn't go 3-5-2 until Hoddle took over after Venables finished.

146678[/snapback]

Redknapp was class when he came on then the poor bastard broke his ankle

:unsure:

Dont mess with McGroins footy knowledge tbh. :lol:

Linky

What formation did Terry Venables play during Euro 96, asked Kim Ulrich.

"If memory serves me correctly England began Euro '96 with a 4-4-2 (or maybe 4-4-1-1) formation with a starting line-up of: Seaman; Neville, Southgate, Adams, Pearce; Anderton, Ince, Gascoigne, McManaman; Sheringham, Shearer" says James Lowther.

"But for the match against Scotland they changed formation to 3-5-2, with Southgate starting in midfield. Then at half time Southgate dropped back to replace Pearce in defence and Redknapp came on as the extra midfielder. For the games against Holland and Spain they reverted to 4-4-2, with Platt taking Ince's place against Spain.

"In the semi-final England switched again to 3-5-2, with Ince returning to the side and Neville dropping out through suspension. Throughout the tournament McManaman and Anderton swapped wings fairly freely. The 4-3-2-1 'Christmas tree' formation was never adopted during the tournament."

Edited by Holden McGroin

Guest alex
Also, in a hilarious twist of fate, didnt Hollands consolation goal against us in the 4-1 mean that they qualified above the Socks on goal difference?! Things seem to be flooding back to me now :lol:

146644[/snapback]

I think (for some bizarre reason) goal difference was irrelevent and it was goals scored. But you're right, Kluivert's goal sent them out.

Guest alex
Dont mess with McGroins footy knowledge tbh.  :unsure:

Linky

What formation did Terry Venables play during Euro 96, asked Kim Ulrich.

"If memory serves me correctly England began Euro '96 with a 4-4-2 (or maybe 4-4-1-1) formation with a starting line-up of: Seaman; Neville, Southgate, Adams, Pearce; Anderton, Ince, Gascoigne, McManaman; Sheringham, Shearer" says James Lowther.

"But for the match against Scotland they changed formation to 3-5-2, with Southgate starting in midfield. Then at half time Southgate dropped back to replace Pearce in defence and Redknapp came on as the extra midfielder. For the games against Holland and Spain they reverted to 4-4-2, with Platt taking Ince's place against Spain.

"In the semi-final England switched again to 3-5-2, with Ince returning to the side and Neville dropping out through suspension. Throughout the tournament McManaman and Anderton swapped wings fairly freely. The 4-3-2-1 'Christmas tree' formation was never adopted during the tournament."

146692[/snapback]

Or mine :lol:

My boss made an interesting point today about our current first choice 11. All of them are world names (possibly stretching it a bit for Robinson and Joe Cole) which is not something you could probably say for all of the other teams in this seasons tournament (I know a reasonable amount about European football but I don't really know much about the Jorman team and even the Italian, Spanish, Dutch and French have a few players I know little or nothing about).

Looking at our past teams (especially 96) we definitely didn't have players with the same status.