Strange goings on in Heaton

peasepud

Shieldfield is getting worse, and it's not getting any help from the local authority or government either. Cynics would say it's prime land for the Ouseburn - Jesmond cultural gateway and if everyone just gets fed up and moves then the council could sell the land for a pretty penny. Not me though.

Thats what I was getting at - its sort of in a time warp

13555[/snapback]

I'd thought that myself - all those council houses right by the town centre, just up from the Quay and art galleries and restaurants starting to open there...

Yup, move the inhabitants to new builds on some "brownfield" site, sell the land for up market flats, a big supermarket, and a new smart cultural area

Thats what I was getting at - its sort of in a time warp

13555[/snapback]

I'd thought that myself - all those council houses right by the town centre, just up from the Quay and art galleries and restaurants starting to open there...

Yup, move the inhabitants to new builds on some "brownfield" site, sell the land for up market flats, a big supermarket, and a new smart cultural area

13568[/snapback]

Shhhhhhh.... :D

I've always wondered why the permanently umemployed are housed in prime areas; right near the city centres, on the riverside etc. Why do they need to be near tax paying people?

Build a load of high-rises in the middle of nowhere, with an Aldi in the middle.

No need to provide public transport into where we live, because they haven't got a good reason to go there.

If they don't want to be ostracised, they can find a job.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Heaton is having a problem with arseholes digging through people's bins for identity theft, so watch your bins Tom and shred those bank statements...

13482[/snapback]

I don't throw anything out. I've still got bank statements that are years old, not that there's anything they could have anyway cos there's bugger all in there, and I do literally mean that. I might have to have a clear out like, but I've got a shredder.

Funny place I've always thought

Not the hard line poverty of Byker or the snobbery of Jesmond nor the working class of Wallsend nor the metropolitan sophistication of Sandyford & Shieldfield

A sort of snobby working class ................. Babycham country

That's probably a fair description, although I'm not sure about the Babysham country bit.

Coming from a mixed Middle/Working class family, I've never been quite sure which I am (not that it matters that much). Living in Heaton doesn't really help, because it's both. More well to do than Byker and Walkergate, but it's not quite Jesmond or Sandyford either.

I went to school at Benfield, which takes in kids from Heaton, Byker, Walker, Walkergate and Walkerville. Some of the kids from Byker and Walker thought us lot from Heaton were posh.

Me Fatha is living in Heaton at the moment, right next to Sainsburys. His estate is full of OAPs. However, they're all dying off and getting replaced by younger tennants so..

Personally, I think it's canny. Handy as fuck if I'm in town and cannit get back to Monkseatoon.

I've always thought of it as separate. High Heaton was never part of the Heaton ward of the city. But then that doesn't exist now that it's been split into North Heaton and South Heaton.

I've always thought of it as separate. High Heaton was never part of the Heaton ward of the city. But then that doesn't exist now that it's been split into North Heaton and South Heaton.

13750[/snapback]

It's just they're both called Heaton and they're right next to each other.

I've always wondered why the permanently umemployed are housed in prime areas; right near the city centres, on the riverside etc. Why do they need to be near tax paying people?

Build a load of high-rises in the middle of nowhere, with an Aldi in the middle.

No need to provide public transport into where we live, because they haven't got a good reason to go there.

13707[/snapback]

its been done -its called Liverpool

13707[/snapback]

its been done -its called Liverpool

13760[/snapback]

:D

Ridges has been the 'Meadowell' for years now...

Shields Rd now falls into South Heaton, just to confuse matters even more.

13756[/snapback]

That's Byker though :D

13761[/snapback]

I know. It's a load of bollocks isn't it. Shields Road will always be Byker.

Shields Rd now falls into South Heaton, just to confuse matters even more.

13756[/snapback]

That's Byker though :D

13761[/snapback]

I know. It's a load of bollocks isn't it. Shields Road will always be Byker.

13771[/snapback]

Strange one this because them houses at the back of the 'Heaton bingo' are classed as Heaton but imo thats byker.

I'm confused

:D

Strange to think the Emperor Hadrian turned up and said

"right lads - I want a bloody great wall right here to seperate Byker and Heaton"

you'd have thought he had more important things to do .............. must have been a micromanager

If I remember correctly, Walker means 'marsh by the wall' which always makes it sound a bit shit. However, Byker means 'by the marsh' so they're made to sound even less important. :D

Those Romans knew something methinks.

Well Hadrian actually turned up to get things underway...can you imagine the running around and screaming when they heard............................

its bad enough when its some jumped up accountant as a boss who'se coming

but a ROMAN EMPEROR.............................................

new latrines all round I'd guess