employment law

themags

I'll try and keep this brief, anyone know where I stand on this.

I usually get a lift in to work with a lad who lives near me, failing that I get the bus in. The lad is currently off sick and last Monday public transport was on strike here. I never found out about this strike till the Sunday, I tried to find another way in to work but was unable to arrange anything at such short notice. I informed my team leader on Monday that I couldn't make it in.

Nothing was said infact he never even replied to me. Just received an email stating that since I had the day off on Monday it needs to be counted as a holiday. The general tone of the email is rather wanker like and he didn't even bother to speak to me about this, obviously I don't want to go to far with this, but can anyone advise if there's out I can do or should I just accept this as a one off?

Guest alex

You had a day off, so it's gone down as a holiday. I think they could have given you a day off at their discretion under the circumstances if they wanted to. But I don't think you have any rights to claim back the day's holiday.

I'll try and keep this brief, anyone know where I stand on this.

I usually get a lift in to work with a lad who lives near me, failing that I get the bus in.  The lad is currently off sick and last Monday public transport was on strike here.  I never found out about this strike till the Sunday, I tried to find another way in to work but was unable to arrange anything at such short notice.  I informed my team leader on Monday that I couldn't make it in.

Nothing was said infact he never even replied to me.  Just received an email stating that since I had the day off on Monday it needs to be counted as a holiday.  The general tone of the email is rather wanker like and he didn't even bother to speak to me about this, obviously I don't want to go to far with this, but can anyone advise if there's out I can do or should I just accept this as a one off?

146506[/snapback]

First port of call would be your written terms of employment. What do they say?

Guest alex
that's at home, i'll check it

i dont want to make a fuss about this so might just let it go, just feel a bit annoyed about it

146515[/snapback]

Should've phoned in sick tbh. Do it tomorrow to get back the day you feel they owe you :lol:

that's at home, i'll check it

i dont want to make a fuss about this so might just let it go, just feel a bit annoyed about it

146515[/snapback]

Without having seen anything, my instincts say if you're paid hourly then the likelihood is you'd have to take it unpaid/take a days holiday if you want the money, but if you're salaried you're probably entitled to the pay without taking it as a hol. Thats more convention tho than anything else-you'd need to look at your actual written terms.

so the next time cunt faces car breaks down and he cant make in to work, i assume he'll obviously put that day down as a holiday

146521[/snapback]

I think you should put this question to your boss. Verbatim.

Can you not just make up the hours over the week?

You still at EDS?

I'll check my Terms.

146520[/snapback]

yeah i am

146522[/snapback]

The IT/software bods? I think I'm doing a translation for their German arm at the moment. Want me to insert some random abuse? :lol:

theres another lad with the same problem, just got another mail

i'm gonna say i'll work through my lunch hour to make up the time, since i do anyway

============

We have taken on board what you said below and have reviewed the options available we can offer you a choice of 3 options

1 you make up the 7.5 hours

2 you make up 3.5 hours and use a half days holiday

3 you use a full days holiday

Can you not just make up the hours over the week?

You still at EDS?

I'll check my Terms.

146520[/snapback]

yeah i am

146522[/snapback]

compassionate/Personal Leave

Leave with pay may be granted by your manager for compassionate and other personal reasons, for example to study and sit examinations, or when faced with a sudden emergency or bereavement of a close relative

so it looks like it's up to your boss. I've booked compassionate leave for a flood and a funeral in the last few months. But I have to say your excuse sounds weak. :lol: