Berlin

Happy Face

Where should I go?

I'm under the impression the only music they play is either David Hasselhoff or mental Eurotrance. Anywhere with more of a worldheadquarters ambience?

One of the lads I'm going with is black too and the media seem to think we should stay away from certain areas of Berlin, but don't say which. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ta.

Are you going to that big Fanfest thing? I've got a mate going this weekend for that. There will be lots of drinking apparently.

146907[/snapback]

Never had a clue it was on, sounds canny though :lol:

was there for New Year, majority of places were rubbish, once they found out you were English the attitude was "drink your drink and fuck off" and that was if they let you in, in the first place. we weren't exactly the loud annoying sort of brits on holiday either.

we found a decent Sports Bar near hotel that was ok, the guy who owns it used to play for Germany, Hans Weiner (yes I laughed too), one of the few friendly locals we met. Spoke to some girls from outside of Berlin who said Berliners aren't exactly re-knowed for their friendliness most be same sort of thing as London.

highlight of the whole holiday was the New Year thing at their big gate thing, after midnight they showed some football thing on the screens and played Three Lions, I think there was only us 4 out of about 500,000 people singing along

so yeah, enjoy your trip

forgot to mention

the transport system seemed to work well and the beer was good

146916[/snapback]

Get a six pack and then get the train to Hamburg sounds the best bet then.

forgot to mention

the transport system seemed to work well and the beer was good

146916[/snapback]

Agreed. But the people are twats - the least friendly I have seen out of Paris (!), London, Milan, Barcelona, Cannes etc. Maybe I was unlucky but I won't be returning.

Plus, architecturally it was pretty much destroyed in the second world war. Some of the ruins they preserved are interesting though.

I imagine the areas the media were referring to in terms of potential racism would be the dodgy parts of the far east of the city, which can still be a little... backward in their mentality. Stick to the more central areas (which I expect you'll be doing anyway) and I can't imagine you'll have any problems. And if you do, just quietly remind them of who won the war, that always goes down a treat. :lol:

I imagine the areas the media were referring to in terms of potential racism would be the dodgy parts of the far east of the city, which can still be a little... backward in their mentality. Stick to the more central areas (which I expect you'll be doing anyway) and I can't imagine you'll have any problems. And if you do, just quietly remind them of who won the war, that always goes down a treat. :lol:

146929[/snapback]

We're on a stag do so I wouldn't have thought a large group of lads would get much trouble. Of course, I'll have my grandad's bayonet in case the vile hun tries anything. :unsure:

how many of there is there?

we had problems because of our massive group of 4

"what 4 guys.....no way"

146950[/snapback]

7 (I think).

We'll split into pairs for entry.

If you are for historical buildings then rather go to Potsdam which has much more to offer.

If you are going for the things like clubbing just don't go to the common tourist places like Oranienburger Straße where you only will find pricks and whores. If you are heading for smaller pubs and clubs outside these tourist magnets you won't get too many problems to get in, even as a group of people.

Finding friendly people will be very hard as even by Jorman standards Berliners are the top bollocks of grumpiness.

• 2 weeks later...

Back at work now. Had a quality time though. We were right by Alexanderplatz. Which was about 5 metro stops from Brandenburg gate and Fanfest, but also had a few squares with screens up itself

Relying on table service to get a drink in was annoying and not conducive to stag do style annihilation, but nevertheless, we managed to get reasonably hammered each night. Highlight was watching the Argentina game in the middle of fanfest in 33 degree heat followed by the biggest thunderstorm I’ve ever been caught in.

Went to Brandenburg gate to give Lee Dixon and Ian Wright some shit and cheer on Wor Al, but I don’t think they heard us.

Appeared on a German music channel request show type thing, but wasn’t really “down with the kids” asking for Johnny Cash and EPMD, got funny looks. Settled for 3 lions in the end.

The Berliners couldn't have been friendlier. The only rudeness was from the women spurning my drunken advances, but that's a worldwide phenomenon. Only in Berlin they all seemed better looking.