Same Old Sven

Papa Lazaru

We may have a squad who are definitely capable of winnign the world cup, but they're going to be up against it with Sven in charge.

How many times will we see a second half where we drop of and ask the other team to dominate, how many times will he make a complete balls up of substitutions and tactics.

Owen needs match fitness and he takes him off after 55 mins, stupid. We're playing well enough using the tactic of Crouch and OWen up front, he changes it and we fall to pieces.

He took away the main uses of crouch, left us with nothing up front inviting pressure onto us and so the midfield had no options. The man is an idiot at times.

And when he does foolishly decide to take of Owen he doesn't have the brains to bring on a striker and keep things as they are, of course part of that is his own stupidity in not bringing Defoe instead bringing another midfilder because he' such a negative bastard!

Sorry i was completely wrong, Sven just said when he took Owen off it was better and that it was to keep the ball better.

I must have imagined everything i saw, unless Sven is just talking utter bullshit of course!

He better not waste this chance we have of winning the competetion with any more crap like this.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

These tactical geniuses that call themselves managers must be on a different planet to most of us because it looked a bad move to me.

147371[/snapback]

Funny isn't it how us mere mortals can understand the problems with taking off your main striker (who needs time on the pitch) and leaving Crouch totally isolated with no use for his flick ons and can see the midfield struggling as they have no outlet and the whole team gets put under pressure, but what do we know.

These tactical geniuses that call themselves managers must be on a different planet to most of us because it looked a bad move to me.

147371[/snapback]

Funny isn't it how us mere mortals can understand the problems with taking off your main striker (who needs time on the pitch) and leaving Crouch totally isolated with no use for his flick ons and can see the midfield struggling as they have no outlet and the whole team gets put under pressure, but what do we know.

147373[/snapback]

coudlnt agree more. We were begging for some pace in the last third, and he puts Hargreaves on.

Oh well at least it hasn't cost us, but I hope Lennon or Walcott get a run out in the next game.

I'm trying to remind myself we won and thats what mattered, so why do i feel so totally and utterly dejected? Feels like we lost, what hit me most is we have at this time a team of very talented players, a real chance to actually win the world cup and it could all be spoilt by the weakness and tactical ineptness of our manager. Yes it was hot, but come on, we knew it would be, and that does not excuse Sven's decisions. This could be our time, someone said IF we win the WC it wont be because of Sven but despite him, that sums it up :blush:

WHY take Micheal Owen off if he's not going to bring his other striker on? To me that shows he hasnt the confidence in Walcott, that he doesnt think he's ready Why bring him? Its plain we are one striker short, come on ffs, we have 2 strikers not fit, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to realise we need another...what a waste when we could have Defoe or Bent. Even though Owen is not match fit, we needed him on that 2nd half and we need him to play the full 90.

And i was going to say the same as sonatine, goody goody, we have Steve McClaren to look forward to :razz:

I wish Sven would say it as it is in the post match interviews, hes a bloody dummy!!

Totally pissed right off, im not knocking the lads, but what chance have they got with Sven making decisions like this? not only today but in his selections all the way through, it seems he has no idea himself :slap:

Don't worry too much, Steve McClaren is taking over soon!  :blush:

Oh.......

147399[/snapback]

:razz:

In some column i was reading the journalist said something like: "Do other people sometimes see McClaren sat next to Sven and think, we didn't did we!!!"

You just have to hope he doesn't follow Svens views on tactics, substiuions and the belief that you don't have to do anything in the second half of matches!

I'm trying to remind myself we won and thats what mattered, so why do i feel so totally and utterly dejected?  Feels like we lost, what hit me most is we have at this time a team of very talented players, a real chance to actually win the world cup and it could all be spoilt by the weakness and tactical ineptness of our manager. Yes it was hot, but come on, we knew it would be, and that does not excuse Sven's decisions. This could be our time, someone said IF we win the WC it wont be because of Sven but despite him, that sums it up  :blush:

WHY take Micheal Owen off if he's not going to bring his other striker on? To me that shows he hasnt the confidence in Walcott, that he doesnt think he's ready  Why bring him? Its plain we are one striker short, come on ffs, we have 2 strikers not fit, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to realise we need another...what a waste when we could have Defoe or Bent. Even though Owen is not match fit, we needed him on that 2nd half and we need him to play the full 90.

And i was going to say the same as sonatine, goody goody, we have Steve McClaren to look forward to  :razz:

I wish Sven would say it as it is in the post match interviews, hes a bloody dummy!!

Totally pissed right off, im not knocking the lads, but what chance have they got with Sven making decisions like this? not only today but in his selections all the way through, it seems he has no idea himself  :slap:

147400[/snapback]

Agree completely! We've just won the first game and yet everyone will be down beat because we can see the very genuine risk that Sven will fuck up the best chance we have had of winning in god knows how long.

Even putting aside his inept tactics and ludicrous substitutions we have the ever present risk that Rooney doesn't make it, makes it but struggles or gets a kick and is out, combined with the risk of Owen getting injured at anytime and we suddenly find ourselves with Crouch and an unproven kid or playing midfielders out of position.

I actually had no problem with Wallcott going, he's an exciting talent and his pace coming off the bench could prove useful, but i would have Defoe in my squad not Jenas in which case Wallcott's inclusion is fine. But Sven being the negative manager he is brings a pointless midfielder instead of the extra striker we need.

I'm just hoping the player do it inspite of him which they could yet do. Or the less likely option he secretly admits to himself he fucked up and that he has to change his ways, but just doesn't admit it publically, but i won't hold my breath.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I'm trying to remind myself we won and thats what mattered, so why do i feel so totally and utterly dejected?  Feels like we lost, what hit me most is we have at this time a team of very talented players, a real chance to actually win the world cup and it could all be spoilt by the weakness and tactical ineptness of our manager. Yes it was hot, but come on, we knew it would be, and that does not excuse Sven's decisions. This could be our time, someone said IF we win the WC it wont be because of Sven but despite him, that sums it up  :angry:

WHY take Micheal Owen off if he's not going to bring his other striker on? To me that shows he hasnt the confidence in Walcott, that he doesnt think he's ready  Why bring him? Its plain we are one striker short, come on ffs, we have 2 strikers not fit, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to realise we need another...what a waste when we could have Defoe or Bent. Even though Owen is not match fit, we needed him on that 2nd half and we need him to play the full 90.

And i was going to say the same as sonatine, goody goody, we have Steve McClaren to look forward to  :slap:

Totally pissed right off, im not knocking the lads, but what chance have they got with Sven making decisions like this? not only today but in his selections all the way through, it seems he has no idea himself  :(

147400[/snapback]

Agree completely! We've just won the first game and yet everyone will be down beat because we can see the very genuine risk that Sven will fuck up the best chance we have had of winning in god knows how long.

Even putting aside his inept tactics and ludicrous substitutions we have the ever present risk that Rooney doesn't make it, makes it but struggles or gets a kick and is out, combined with the risk of Owen getting injured at anytime and we suddenly find ourselves with Crouch and an unproven kid or playing midfielders out of position.

I actually had no problem with Wallcott going, he's an exciting talent and his pace coming off the bench could prove useful, but i would have Defoe in my squad not Jenas in which case Wallcott's inclusion is fine. But Sven being the negative manager he is brings a pointless midfielder instead of the extra striker we need.

I'm just hoping the player do it inspite of him which they could yet do. Or the less likely option he secretly admits to himself he fucked up and that he has to change his ways, but just doesn't admit it publically, but i won't hold my breath.

147404[/snapback]

I hope you're right papa...i noticed the players reactions and faces in the post match interviews (Beckham and Lampard) they looked non plussed :blush: they just churned out exactly what Sven said....blah blah blah ;) Even Owen looked shell shocked at being taken off, can the team honestly have any confidence in Sven?

When will he learn we do not play our best football this way? we are no good at defending a 1-0 lead ffs!!! his second half subsitutions baffle me, like....oh, best do something!! :razz:

I'm trying to remind myself we won and thats what mattered, so why do i feel so totally and utterly dejected?  Feels like we lost, what hit me most is we have at this time a team of very talented players, a real chance to actually win the world cup and it could all be spoilt by the weakness and tactical ineptness of our manager. Yes it was hot, but come on, we knew it would be, and that does not excuse Sven's decisions. This could be our time, someone said IF we win the WC it wont be because of Sven but despite him, that sums it up  :blush:

And i was going to say the same as sonatine, goody goody, we have Steve McClaren to look forward to  :razz:

Totally pissed right off, im not knocking the lads, but what chance have they got with Sven making decisions like this? not only today but in his selections all the way through, it seems he has no idea himself  :slap:

147400[/snapback]

147404[/snapback]

Also baffling is the cockney press, who, when he got the job, announced that Sven was a winner, a "proper coach", and hugely more talented than the "tactically inept" Keegan. The same people who now slate him for his negative approach, which has shone right through his time as England manager.

I've avoided posting about the world cup just in case I take Rentons mantle of most miserable poster. I know the hype says we can win it and on paper you could argue we have the players but has anyone actually seen this team put in a performance that says we have a realistic chance? or is it all on faith and hope? Its been together for a long time and Ive still yet to see it.

Regardless of the players we have its the same old problems, we dont do the basics well enough. Even when we were supposedly dominant in the first half we were sloppy as hell. Even when we play the ball around a bit you just know that at some point someone is just going to hoof it upfield. Beckham still isnt getting into the positions were we can really take advantage of his crossing from open play. I dont think its purely down to the manager either.

147400[/snapback]

147404[/snapback]

Also baffling is the cockney press, who, when he got the job, announced that Sven was a winner, a "proper coach", and hugely more talented than the "tactically inept" Keegan. The same people who now slate him for his negative approach, which has shone right through his time as England manager.

147410[/snapback]

I think even Keegan would have got the substitutions right today, at least he could have motivated them ! which is something Sven has dificulty with !

Regardless of the players we have its the same old problems, we dont do the basics well enough. Even when we were supposedly dominant in the first half we were sloppy as hell. Even when we play the ball around a bit you just know that at some point someone is just going to hoof it upfield. Beckham still isnt getting into the positions were we can really take advantage of his crossing from open play. I dont think its purely down to the manager either.

147411[/snapback]

I agree but it seems hes already been made the scapegoat, regardless of how well, or badly, England do.

I watched the game last night and it was shocking. You have basically two of the worlds best central midfielders who are right in their prime, you have Beckham and Joe Cole who just keeps running and is a tricky dicky at the best of times. You have a semi solid back 4 yet you produce a dour 1-0 against Paraguay.

England never really looked like scoring, they never got into any dangerous positions where i thought Paraguay where in trouble. It was utter crap even my mate from England started chanting boring boring England.

Then Sven thinks a 5 man midfield with Cole pushing higher up to help Crouch would work.... hmmm going defensive already are we? Then some block called Hargreaves comes on a good ole holding midfielder whom i didnt see after he came on.

Utter bollocks and this is clearly England's best chance to win the World Cup yet it is going to go down the toilet with Sven at the helm. Then to add insult to injury there will be a few riots when you get kicked out having further implications. Once again England fans will be let down, again.

Watch a real team play tomorrow night :razz:

I reckon we'll grow into the tournament and be playing much better come the knockout games, but I was a bit concerned about Sven's substitutions, followed by him being adamant that we played better after he took Owen off.

Also, watching the Argentina game last night, having built England up a bit in my head, I reckon either the Argies or the Ivory Coast would give us a howking and I haven't even seen Brazil play yet.

I reckon we'll grow into the tournament and be playing much better come the knockout games, but I was a bit concerned about Sven's substitutions, followed by him being adamant that we played better after he took Owen off.

Also, watching the Argentina game last night, having built England up a bit in my head, I reckon either the Argies or the Ivory Coast would give us a howking and I haven't even seen Brazil play yet.

147532[/snapback]

Like you say we'll grow into the tournament, I don't think you'll see a worse English performance in this World Cup. We all know how effective England can be when they are firing on all cylinders and against paraguay I don't think we'd even turned the engine over...

Argies were good and if they're allowed time to pick their passes they can hurt us, but they were terrified of pace and trickery, hopefully by the time we meet, we'll have Owen, Rooney at full pace and Lennon and Walcott and Cole playing to their best.

147532[/snapback]

Like you say we'll grow into the tournament, I don't think you'll see a worse English performance in this World Cup. We all know how effective England can be when they are firing on all cylinders and against paraguay I don't think we'd even turned the engine over...

Argies were good and if they're allowed time to pick their passes they can hurt us, but they were terrified of pace and trickery, hopefully by the time we meet, we'll have Owen, Rooney at full pace and Lennon and Walcott and Cole playing to their best.

147544[/snapback]

England do tend to grow as it goes on and as somebody said earlier in the thread we have a tendency to reflect our oppositon for some reason so if they're poor, theres a chance we won't be at our best.

The worry will remain though that against the very best teams in quarters, semis or final we can't afford to be shite in the second and we will be done by sven's lack of ability to change matches or just outright stupid substituitions.

But with games played away from that kind of heat (made worse by fifa's idiots not allowing players as much water as they wanted) we will definitely be better.