How much work actually needs to be done?

Deano

I feel we have a reasonably good squad with a few thats surplus to requirements shipped out and a few quality players drafted in but whats the general opinion on where we need to stregnthen?

With Freddy coming shoutin to the terraces that we are defensively covered that we need more attacking players and with Malbranques and lennons names shouted about maybe he isnt just wanting strikers?

I feel we need one out and out striker and a young talent to get involved partially...but do we need attacking midfielders?

Rumour has it milner may stay to rotate with nobby on the right, charlie looks more than capable of building his already swelly reputation with the fans we are sorted down the left with Emre and young matty patterson and alan o'brien to come...

Parker in the middle with who though?

What do you guys think...

4 or 5 comitted and talented lads a bit more hard work and a top five beckons....

DIRK KUYT NUMBER NINE!!!

our defenders are mostly incompetent. our midfield seems to lack balance and depth and the less said about our striking options the better.

apart from that, brilliant.

our defenders are mostly incompetent. our midfield seems to lack balance and depth and the less said about our striking options the better.

147853[/snapback]

Our manager's nowt to shout about either.

I actually think we now have the worst squad we have had in many a year.

We have a great keeper, one promising centreback, an excellent holding midfielder, a promising left winger, a quality but ageing right winger and a world class goal scorer.

It's a fairly promising shell of a team but beyond that all of the other positions in the team are totally up for grabs and the squad is painfully thin.

In an ideal world we would be bringing in two new fullbacks, an experienced quality centre half, two new wingers (or one and bringing Milner back), two or three central midfielders and at least two strikers.

That's at least eight players we need and I am considerably less than convinced we will get anywhere near that. We may be forced in getting two fullbacks, one out and out striker and a couple more players who can play in a variety of positions. And more likely than not, none of them will be of the quality we are after!

147853[/snapback]

Our manager's nowt to shout about either.

147862[/snapback]

Based on his impressive record of getting us out of the shit you mean? :(

Not sure why you're down on him already tbh.

I think he's took the daring step of looking at his track record :P

148208[/snapback]

:(

Yes, but track records obviously aren't infallible...I'm hugely impressed by the way he turned us around with the resources his predecessor had. Luque came with a good reputation and has so far failed to deliver, Roeder came with a less impressive track record and has delivered. I think until Roeder has a run of bad results it's pretty unfair to criticise him.

I also think Renton is forgetting that we aren't going to get a "big name" until Alan has his bite at the cherry..... :razz::P

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

I think he's took the daring step of looking at his track record :(

148208[/snapback]

Correct.

I'm not down on him, however, I just believe his CV shows cause for concern, and I'm really pissed off we didn't go for O'Neill when he was available, or worse, O'Neill won't come because he doesn't see us as an attractive proposition any more.

I think he's took the daring step of looking at his track record :P

148208[/snapback]

:(

Yes, but track records obviously aren't infallible...I'm hugely impressed by the way he turned us around with the resources his predecessor had. Luque came with a good reputation and has so far failed to deliver, Roeder came with a less impressive track record and has delivered. I think until Roeder has a run of bad results it's pretty unfair to criticise him.

I also think Renton is forgetting that we aren't going to get a "big name" until Alan has his bite at the cherry..... :razz::P

148216[/snapback]

You're making the mistake of comparing him with Souness, the biggest idiot of all time. Anyone would compare favourably with him.

Fair enough, if his track record of two relegations and three sackings doesn't bother you, and you want to judge him solely on his record as a care-taker manager, so be it. But lets see how he fairs with his own signings, having been forced to cut our squad to less than the bare minimum.

I think he's took the daring step of looking at his track record :(

148208[/snapback]

Correct.

I'm not down on him, however, I just believe his CV shows cause for concern, and I'm really pissed off we didn't go for O'Neill when he was available, or worse, O'Neill won't come because he doesn't see us as an attractive proposition any more.

148225[/snapback]

After some of O'Neill's performances on BBC during the world cup I'm begining to become a bit relieved we didn't go for him. He's begining to sound more scatter brained than Sir Bob!

....lets see how he fairs with his own signings, having been forced to cut our squad to less than the bare minimum.

148230[/snapback]

These are my feelings...I just don't see the point in being pessimistic at this point.

We didn't get Hitzfeld, Hiddink or O'Neill, largely because Shepherd hasn't heard of them and if he had, Shearer wouldn't allow it.

The next best thing therefore is to go for someone who knows the club and hasn't put a foot wrong during his time here.

Believe me, I'd have preferred Hitzfeld, but apparently it was all just a betting scam. :(

After some of O'Neill's performances on BBC during the world cup I'm begining to become a bit relieved we didn't go for him.  He's begining to sound more scatter brained than Sir Bob!

148234[/snapback]

Agreed, he tends to go off at a tangent and rambles away to himself like a glasweigan in a shop doorway.

Lots of work to do, very thin squad, no money to get decent players in and too many second rate players on massive contracts that it'll be almost impossible to shift.

Roeder's got plenty on.

148814[/snapback]

That's about the size of it :(

We have to get back competeing for the top four or every year that goes by the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal have an extra £15m - £25m in the kitty more than us.

At the very least and this has probably been said a thousand times this summer already, we need a top tier striker, a left back and a Cb......Also now it looks like a right back.

The problem now is of course after buying big last term we are a little short of cash.

We're fucking awful apart from Given, Taylor, N'Zogbia, Solano and Owen (when he decides to play). We need two world class central midfielders as I have no faith in Emre to perform consistantly week in, week out, Parker is over rated and Faye is shit. I'd like to see a centre back in the Sol Campbell mould but with less of the mental problems come in alongside Taylor. Two decent full backs would be nice aswell. We need a long term partner for Owen that isn't Ameobi. Kuyt would be my first choice but failing that Ashton would do. We desperately need a good, young prospect or two who'd be happy sitting on the bench until Owen gets crocked again.