Bookies back Owen move

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have a great chance of signing Michael Owen - in the eyes of the bookies.

For 24 hours after Graeme Souness said he thought United had a "good chance" of persuading the England striker to come to St James' Park, the Chronicle can reveal that the bookies have slashed the odds of Owen wearing a black and white shirt.

When their book opened yesterday morning, Internet odds-layers Blue Square were quoting the chances of Owen becoming a United player at 14/1.

After Souness's press conference a few hours later, those odds had come down to 8/1. And by last night they were standing at 5/1.

Certainly, after visiting St James' Park yesterday I sensed an air of confidence that United could pull off the deal, although they accept that they are behind both Manchester United and Liverpool in the pecking order.

Clearly, United do not want to say too much about the Owen situation for a variety of reasons, one of them being that they do not want to build up their fans' hopes after the Wayne Rooney affair.

But the club did reveal that they are trying to get Owen on a permanent transfer from Real Madrid and not just on loan.

Owen will be receiving so much advice from family, friends and former colleagues that he has every right to be a trifle confused.

Like some United fans, I have always had my doubts whether United could make what would surely rank behind only Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan among the club's greatest signings.

But now I genuinely feel that United are in with a shout of a signing which would sweep away the despondency on Tyneside due to a lack of strikers at the club.

United were in an upbeat mood today after Kieron Dyer finally signed a three-year extension to his contract, tying the England midfielder to St James' Park until 2009 and actually put him in line for a testimonial - something the Chronicle reported in our later editions yesterday.

And after a close season of haggling, I believe United will finally tie up the £5m transfer of Fulham's Luis Boa Morte in time for the visit of West Ham to St James' Park next Saturday.

But United have finally given up on Inter Milan left-back Francesco Coco, who has now returned home to Italy. A 12-month loan deal for the 28-year-old, 17-times capped defender has been on and off all week but in the end United decided not to go ahead with it.

What could be pushed through in the next couple of days is Hugo Viana's return to Sporting Lisbon, with the United midfielder back at his former club for talks.

Elsewhere, Blackburn Rovers contacted United this week to ask them for former striker Craig Bellamy's full medical history.

Is that the sound of straws being clutched at and Oliver cranking up the PR machine?

Incedently on the Bellamy front I was listening to the Blackburn match and they said that Bellamy had been carrying a knock this week. Also they weren't massivly complimentary about his performance. But neither did a few Blackburn players. namely Dickov (for obvious reasons) and Emerton.

Is that the sound of straws being clutched at and Oliver cranking up the PR machine?

Incedently on the Bellamy front I was listening to the Blackburn match and they said that Bellamy had been carrying a knock this week. Also they weren't massivly complimentary about his performance. But neither did a few Blackburn players. namely Dickov (for obvious reasons) and Emerton.

11752[/snapback]

I see Sky gave both Bellamy and Robert a 6 in their ratings..

11752[/snapback]

I see Sky gave both Bellamy and Robert a 6 in their ratings..

11754[/snapback]

The bloke that was doing the match updates on 5 Live said all of Pompeys chances came from Roberts deliveries. Nothing else about how involved in the match he was. Mainly had my ears open for ex-player news today more than anything else.

Call me a cynic, but the bookies are doing this in the hope that many newcaslte fans will stick the cash on Owen coming when there is bugger all chance of it happening. He's staying at madrid or going back to liverpool.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on him having a season on loan at Liverpool.

Anyone know if odds are available on Owen and Jenas being at NUFC on Sept. 1st?

11918[/snapback]

Odds reducing just means some mugs are putting their cash on it. I doubt it'll happen. As an ex Liverpool player he's bound to have heard more than a few whispers about the type of manager Souness is, that's almost certain to scare him off. Especially as he's a little bloke.

But United have finally given up on Inter Milan left-back Francesco Coco, who has now returned home to Italy. A 12-month loan deal for the 28-year-old, 17-times capped defender has been on and off all week but in the end United decided not to go ahead with it.

not good(

assume there was more to the situation than we are fully ware of. Seemed to me that he was worth a gamble on.....esp given the low price tag!