Walcott suffers calf injury scare

khay

England's teenage World Cup star Theo Walcott has given coach Sven-Goran Eriksson a minor injury scare.

Arsenal's 17-year-old striker suffered a slight calf injury during a training session on Sunday.

But he is expected to resume work again ahead of Thursday's match with Trinidad and Tobago.

Eriksson will not want any further injury worries with Michael Owen still short of match practice and Wayne Rooney on the comeback trail.

Walcott was an unused substitute in the win against Paraguay in Frankfurt.

Guest CrimsonFault
England's teenage World Cup star Theo Walcott has given coach Sven-Goran Eriksson a minor injury scare.

Arsenal's 17-year-old striker suffered a slight calf injury during a training session on Sunday.

But he is expected to resume work again ahead of Thursday's match with Trinidad and Tobago.

Eriksson will not want any further injury worries with Michael Owen still short of match practice and Wayne Rooney on the comeback trail.

Walcott was an unused substitute in the win against Paraguay in Frankfurt.

147620[/snapback]

Eh!?

Making Sven's decision to go with 4 strikers look all the more idiotic tbh. Can't believe some of the stick Owen is getting for his performance though - if he gets a full run-out over the next couple of games I reckon he'll be firing again come the knockout stages.

I think Rooney will get half an hour or so vs. T&T on Thursday though, assuming we're in a comfortable position. I also fancy Paraguay might get a result against Sweden. Those are my predictions for the week. :razz:

It is not certain that the injury was caused by Rooney but in his determination to take part in full-contact training the Manchester United striker was seen clattering into Walcott from behind as the unused substitutes from Saturday's victory over Paraguay went on to the pitch after the game for what was to be a gentle work-out.

Walcott was able to take part in a light training session yesterday but afterwards complained that his calf was sore and he was examined by the team doctor Leif Sward and the physiotherapist Gary Lewin. It is unclear whether he had taken another blow to the same area.

What is clear is that in their five-a-side games the players are instructed not to make what Eriksson describes as "stupid challenges". Rooney operates by different rules. He is notorious among his England and United team-mates for flying into tackles in practice and, perhaps over-eager to prove his fitness, it was a typically robust challenge that flattened Walcott. Lee Sharpe, the former England international, was among those watching the players in Frankfurt's Waldstadion.

"Rooney seemed to be moving well, doing lots of slalom and shuttle runs and booting the ball around," he said on a blog for Yahoo. "He didn't seem to be holding back and at one stage they were doing five-a-side and he smashed Walcott from behind."

Canny stupid from Rooney in what was supposed to be a "gentle" workout. :razz:

It is not certain that the injury was caused by Rooney but in his determination to take part in full-contact training the Manchester United striker was seen clattering into Walcott from behind as the unused substitutes from Saturday's victory over Paraguay went on to the pitch after the game for what was to be a gentle work-out.

Walcott was able to take part in a light training session yesterday but afterwards complained that his calf was sore and he was examined by the team doctor Leif Sward and the physiotherapist Gary Lewin. It is unclear whether he had taken another blow to the same area.

What is clear is that in their five-a-side games the players are instructed not to make what Eriksson describes as "stupid challenges". Rooney operates by different rules. He is notorious among his England and United team-mates for flying into tackles in practice and, perhaps over-eager to prove his fitness, it was a typically robust challenge that flattened Walcott. Lee Sharpe, the former England international, was among those watching the players in Frankfurt's Waldstadion.

"Rooney seemed to be moving well, doing lots of slalom and shuttle runs and booting the ball around," he said on a blog for Yahoo. "He didn't seem to be holding back and at one stage they were doing five-a-side and he smashed Walcott from behind."

Canny stupid from Rooney in what was supposed to be a "gentle" workout. :razz:

147630[/snapback]

Getting rid of the competition tbh.

Just wait for the Sun headline "ROO NUT!" - Wayne Rooney headbutts Peter Crouch in training... full story on Page 8.

Just wait for the Sun headline "ROO NUT!" - Wayne Rooney headbutts Peter Crouch in training... full story on Page 8.

147632[/snapback]

he'll have to stand on a few yellow pages to reach :razz:

147632[/snapback]

he'll have to stand on a few yellow pages to reach :blush:

147634[/snapback]

Didn't say where he nutted him though did I? :razz:

i dont understand why theyve even released walcotts to injury to the press.

its not as if the nation is gonna collectively shit its pants is it ?

now if robinson were to get injured - that would be a brown trouser moment.

With Crouch's booking and Walcott's knock, its looking even more idiotic !

147628[/snapback]

Yeah, basically Sven in his infinite lack of wisdom wen to the world cup with:

Rooney who may not have kicked a ball or may at any moment get crocked again

Owen who could easilly get injured and who isn't yet match fit, so lets keep subbing him!

Crouch who is still unproven at international level despite soem recent form

Walcott who is unproven at premierhip level and who he has never seen

But apart from 2 players at risk of being crocked, two unproven and Rooney always at risk of suspension if he manages to stay fit you can see what Sven is thinking, i mean you have got to find a way to squeeze Jenas in there, thats vital! :razz:

147628[/snapback]

Owen who could easilly get injured and who isn't yet match fit, so lets keep subbing him!

But apart from 2 players at risk of being crocked, two unproven and Rooney always at risk of suspension if he manages to stay fit you can see what Sven is thinking, i mean you have got to find a way to squeeze Jenas in there, thats vital! :P

147960[/snapback]

:( Nice summary

I think Rooney will get half an hour or so vs. T&T on Thursday though, assuming we're in a comfortable position. 

147623[/snapback]

I don't think Rooney can play until the docs have a final assessment, and seeing as they're not flying out till Friday I don't think we'll see him on Thursday.

I think Rooney will get half an hour or so vs. T&T on Thursday though, assuming we're in a comfortable position. 

147623[/snapback]

I don't think Rooney can play until the docs have a final assessment, and seeing as they're not flying out till Friday I don't think we'll see him on Thursday.

148206[/snapback]

Agreed, but when I posted that yesterday morning we didn't know the doctors weren't coming out til Friday. :(

147628[/snapback]

But apart from 2 players at risk of being crocked, two unproven and Rooney always at risk of suspension if he manages to stay fit you can see what Sven is thinking, i mean you have got to find a way to squeeze Jenas in there, thats vital! :(

147960[/snapback]

He shouldn't have taken Walcott. Maybe he just fancies his lass

147628[/snapback]

But apart from 2 players at risk of being crocked, two unproven and Rooney always at risk of suspension if he manages to stay fit you can see what Sven is thinking, i mean you have got to find a way to squeeze Jenas in there, thats vital! :(

147960[/snapback]

148226[/snapback]

Always thought he looked like a nonce.

147628[/snapback]

147960[/snapback]

148226[/snapback]

Always thought he looked like a nonce.

148624[/snapback]

Harsh but fair!

And anyone notice that no matter if a footballer is ugly (the nevilles) or a freak (crouch) or gay (no idea who that could be!) you can bet they will have a hot young lass as their partner...must be their personalities that gets all the women :P

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Why has he taken this lad?  Has anyone worked it out yet?

149573[/snapback]

Makes him look like he's being adventurous. When actually it makes him look like a numpty. Surely last nights game was made for him, their defence made you look speedy.

149573[/snapback]

I know I am in the minority but I think its a great decision to take Walcott. He isnt going to start but if youve got to ten minutes to go and you want one last throw of the dice then Bent or Defoe are a complete waste of time. But throw some teenager who nobody has ever heard of who can run 100 metres in 10 seconds and you might just create enough confusion for something to happem

149573[/snapback]

Why did Brazil take Ronaldo in 94 or Kaka in 2002 ;)

149573[/snapback]

Why did Brazil take Ronaldo in 94 or Kaka in 2002 ;)

149607[/snapback]

Brazil won the world cup on both occasions which suggests they had adequate cover though. We don't. :D