Become a squirrel bounty hunter !!

Jimbo

Bounties should be paid for the shooting or trapping of grey squirrels, according to a Conservative MSP.

Murdo Fraser said consideration must be given to such measures to preserve numbers of native red squirrels.

The party's deputy leader said that only suitably qualified people with shotgun licences, like gamekeepers, would get the money.

However, an animal protection group said the proposal would lead to "carnage in the countryside".

Scotland is reported to be home to more than 75% of the UK's red squirrel population, however, they have been under threat of being displaced by the non-native grey.

Scottish Natural Heritage has announced plans for a cull in areas including the north east, Argyll, Loch Lomond and the Highlands, where reds are most under threat and grey squirrels are being shot on sight by patrols in the Borders.

Bounties have previously been paid in the UK but the system was abandoned in the 1950s because of abuse.

Mid Scotland and Fife MSP Mr Fraser said the smaller population could be wiped out unless action is taken and a bounty of a few pounds per grey should be on offer.

He has lodged a motion in the Scottish Parliament seeking the backing of fellow MSPs for his proposal.

He said: "Scotland's red squirrel is now under serious threat from a foreign invader.

"Areas such as Perthshire and Angus are now the frontline for the red squirrel and we are seeing their numbers under threat in these areas."

On the proposal for bounties, he said: "It may seem like a drastic step, but the seriousness of the current situation cannot be underestimated.

"Paying bounties to gamekeepers and others to eradicate the grey squirrel in areas where they threaten red squirrels would be a positive and imaginative step to try and tackle this serious issue."

Ross Minett, director of Advocates for Animals, said: "This is an absolutely ridiculous idea and it would lead to carnage in the countryside with every man and his dog out to raise cash from the killing of squirrels.

"Mr Fraser obviously hasn't studied ecology because if he had he would realise that the grey squirrel is here to stay and killing them in vast numbers is not going to remove them.

"It would be a complete waste of time and taxpayers' money."

so you get a bounty for killing squirrels (rats with Bushy tails) but not Pidgeons (Rats with wings) or Rats (....rats)

bit fookin unfair iyam

I can just imagine people being able to exchange 5 squirrel pelts for a tenner at the post office !

I'd buy an air rifle myself !!

so you get a bounty for killing squirrels (rats with Bushy tails) but not Pidgeons (Rats with wings) or Rats (....rats)

bit fookin unfair iyam

147712[/snapback]

You can get arrested for shooting sea gulls too - and they're dangerous!

needn't bother shooting seagulls, just load up bread with Aspirins or is it paracetemol?

147730[/snapback]

Sodium bicarbonate - makes them explode. The sea gulls round mine are wise to that one though. Using a suitably baited fishing line is also effective I hear.

bit fookin unfair iyam

147712[/snapback]

147717[/snapback]

What, guns or seagulls?

bit fookin unfair iyam

147712[/snapback]

147717[/snapback]

What, guns or seagulls?

147755[/snapback]

Both, but guns don't normally attack you completely unprovoked by themselves!

bit fookin unfair iyam

147712[/snapback]

147717[/snapback]

What, guns or seagulls?

147755[/snapback]

147758[/snapback]

Closet NRA member tbh

bit fookin unfair iyam

147712[/snapback]

147717[/snapback]

What, guns or seagulls?

147755[/snapback]

147758[/snapback]

Closet NRA member tbh

147763[/snapback]

:razz:

Nah, just hate seagulls.

I had a scary moment involving birds yesterday.

Was walking out the back gate when I looked up into the hedge (it surrounds the gate and goes over it as an arch) and saw something colourful. Upon closer inspection I determined it to be a bird hanging by its neck from a branch!!!

Now that freaked me out somewhat. When I reached up to take it down, there was a sudden rustling in the hedge and a fucking pidgeon flew out straight past my head.

Nearly shat meself. :razz:

Dad once told me that pidgeons will move out of the way of your car, so you needn't swerve.

so when my girlfriend was driving down the road and two pidgeons were sat in the middle of the road I assured her that she didn't have to swerve out the way cos the birds would move.

I was wiping the blood and feathers off the windscreen for about five minutes which was coincedently the amount of time it took for wor lass to stop crying.

Dad once told me that pidgeons will move out of the way of your car, so you needn't swerve.

so when my girlfriend was driving down the road and two pidgeons were sat in the middle of the road I assured her that she didn't have to swerve out the way cos the birds would move.

I was wiping the blood and feathers off the windscreen for about five minutes which was coincedently the amount of time it took for wor lass to stop crying.

147782[/snapback]

:razz:

I was once walking when a car squished a pidgeon - it's entire viscera shot out and hit me in the face.

I hate Gulls, aka the greater arsed shite-hawk, with a passion, I work just yards from the sea and am often dive bombed during the nesting season if I need to go to our stores area.

Well im glad you have all moved on to mass seagull murder.... gives us squirrels a chance to run.

:P

148590[/snapback]

:( Old skool!!! Welcome back Sprucette!