England - Tactics & formations

Geordie Boyo

I’ve heard many times Gerrard & Lampard discuss how they can complement each other in midfield on how when either makes a run the other hangs back in support. Lampard said that it was he who mostly got forward in the Paraguay game, either way we’re not getting the best out of the two of them and it’s affecting our performance on the pitch.

Introducing a defensive midfielder would lead to sacrifice to either our width in having Joe Cole losing out or Peter Crouch who supports Owen in attack up front. I’m not even going to bother talking about Gerrard, Lampard or Bekcham missing out because as you know it’s never going to happen. What I will talk about thou is what I see being effective if England are ambitious enough to reach the finals while Rooney is missing.

In my opinion we can either risk not getting the right result in another game or two playing how we did against Paraguay or Sven can use that large pumpkin sized head of his which I assume contains a brain and make the right changes with the right tactics in order to get the best out of the team we have on the pitch.

As I say, if both Gerrard & Lampard were free to play their own game I think in my opinion they would provide Owen enough support in attack with Joe Cole, Carrick & Beckham there ready to battle and hold our line in support for the attack & defense.

Rooney can be eased in when needed to build on his match fitness in place of Carrick supporting the midfield and supporting Owen in attack playing behind him.

If we want the best out of our two best midfielders you can forget a 4.4.2 in my opinion. If we truly want to be effective and play our best team we are either going to have Carrick in that holding role with Gerrard & Lampard in support of Owen or a 4.4.1.1 with Rooney supporting the midfield and supporting Owen in attack.

.......................OWEN

..........LAMPARD.......GERRARD

J.COLE...........CARRICK.....BECKHAM

A.COLE FERDINAND TERRY G.NEVILLE

....................ROBINSON

......................OWEN

.....................ROONEY

J.COLE LAMPARD GERRARD BECKHAM

A.COLE FERDINAND TERRY G.NEVILLE

...................ROBINSON

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a defensive midfielder - dont moan when he passes the ball backwards and sideways.

(thats a dig at everyone here, not just the OP)

The second team you have posted there is the one Sven wants to pick, I would imagine.

148501[/snapback]

Aye, but my point being is that Rooney is having to build on his match fitness and isn't likely to start the next two games in my opinion so I'm looking at what our best option is in the mean time.

England fans STILL not getting that you can't play Gerrard and Lampard in the same team :P :P :razz::P:razz::D

Enjoy your failure.

148508[/snapback]

We can only dream of being as successful as Scotland. :(

148512[/snapback]

At least we know our level tbh.

if you want a defensive midfielder - dont moan when he passes the ball backwards and sideways.

(thats a dig at everyone here, not just the OP)

148502[/snapback]

I would imagine Gerrard & Lampard to be having words with Carrick if that's all he did.

Carrick wins the ball in midfield, he then plays it to Beckham as Lampard and Gerrard look to get forward. Beckham with a swinging cross to Lampard up in the opposition’s half. Lampard plays it across to Gerrad who in turn places a shot towards goal. The keeper saves well but it rebounds to Owen who SCORES!!

:P

:(

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Hargreaves > Carrick tbh

148541[/snapback]

HERESY

BURN THE UNBELIEVER!

.... we definitely need an "Angry Mob" smiley!

Said it before and say it again. If Beckham hadn't scored that wonder goal against Wimbledon he wouldn't be in the team. He is the most over rated footballer the world has ever known. Anybody know the odds on him getting sent off in the competition are? Sven is a crap England manager and just picks his favourites. I used to wonder how he was successful in Italy but after the revelations this year I reckon I know now.

its an interesting idea but i dont think carrick is good enought to hold the midfield by himself. Makelele would play that role perfectly and we could be world beaters with gerrard and lampard both making those runs towards the box and cracking shots in.

Even though they dont compliment each other too well sven would be mad to drop either of them and replace him with carrick tbh

Said it before and say it again. If Beckham hadn't scored that wonder goal against Wimbledon he wouldn't be in the team. He is the most over rated footballer the world has ever known. Anybody know the odds on him getting sent off in the competition are?

148681[/snapback]

The lad is a class player. Is he only getting picked every week for Real Madrid because of the goal against Wimbledon too? As for the odds on him getting sent off, I would say they're canny long tbh.

Beckham has had an assist in our opening goal in the last 4 international tournaments. Even though i agree that last year he was holding down his place cos of his name the last 3 or 4 internationals he has been one of our best players.

Said it before and say it again. If Beckham hadn't scored that wonder goal against Wimbledon he wouldn't be in the team. He is the most over rated footballer the world has ever known. Anybody know the odds on him getting sent off in the competition are? Sven is a crap England manager and just picks his favourites. I used to wonder how he was successful in Italy but after the revelations this year I reckon I know now.

148681[/snapback]

:( Fucking hell

148681[/snapback]

Do you think anyone is ever going to take any of your posts seriously ever again?

Beckham is over rated, but he's still a very good footballer. Aye, he can't beat a man, but he doesn't need to. His workrate, crossing and set pieces justify his inclusion. He's the one player apart from Rooney I'd expect to dig England out of the shit when we need it.

If/when Rooney is back and we're playing a 'proper'© team then we simply cant afford Lampard and Gerrard in the team tbh-Rooney drops off enough to render 'attacking midfield' qualities redundant (unless they come with defensive qualities an arl). Thing is I dont really rate Carrick-think he's the epitome of average-but I'd bring him in for Lampard.

It's hard to sacrifice a talented player (Lampard) for someone who's not very good (Carrick), but then if you're going to use the player whos not very good to say man mark/cover the defence then it's perfectly justified if theres a 'business need' for that (to use management speak).

As has already been said though, it aint gonna happen.

Unfortunately, out of J. Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, I can honestly see Rooney doing the most defending. Which aint gonna fly against the likes of Brazil/Portugal/Argentina/Dutch.

Beckham is over rated, but he's still a very good footballer. Aye, he can't beat a man, but he doesn't need to. His workrate, crossing and set pieces justify his inclusion. He's the one player apart from Rooney I'd expect to dig England out of the shit when we need it.

148751[/snapback]

apart from he doesnt cross anymore, well not for England anyway. All we need to get the most out of Beckham is for one of the management team to blast him and tell him he's not a CM, to stop dropping too deep and to get back to playing like he did for Man U.

Edited by luckypierre

148751[/snapback]

apart from he doesnt cross anymore, well not for England anyway. All we need to get the most out of Beckham is for one of the management team to blast him and tell him he's not a CM, to stop dropping too deep and to get back to playing like he did for Man U.

148762[/snapback]

Check who has most assists in the last 15 England goals.

How many from set pieces?

How ever you want to put it Gol he doesnt get in the same positions, knock in the amount of crosses and have the same attacking threat as he did when at his peak. Theres nothing physically or tactically that stops him doing it. Its all mental, he wants to be the main man, at the centre of everything so he ends up playing too deep and fairly often nowhere near the right.

Edited by luckypierre

How many from set pieces?

How ever you want to put it Gol he doesnt get in the same positions, knock in the amount of crosses and have the same attacking threat as he did when at his peak. Theres nothing physically or tactically that stops him doing it. Its all mental, he wants to be the main man, at the centre of everything so he ends up playing too deep and fairly often nowhere near the right.

148910[/snapback]

So the other option is to take him out of the team, and replace him with someone who can't deliver anyway (Wright-Phillips).

It's fashionable to knock Beckham though.

Beckham directly sets up goals and can chip in with them himself, that wins matches and will more than do for me. You also can't knock his workrate and his set piece delivery at the moment is absolutely unplayable even for good defences and later in the world cup that could end up being the difference between winning a close match and going out of the tournament.