Spain v Ukraine

khay

Spain captain Raul is expected to start on the bench, with Fernando Torres and David Villa likely to start up front.

With the injured Asier del Horno ruled out of the tournament, Mariano Pernia - who made his international debut last week - is set to start at left-back.

Ukraine coach Oleg Blokhin will decide whether to hand striker Andriy Shevchenko a starting line-up place.

The 29-year-old has been out for a month with a knee injury but says he is fit to face the Spaniards.

Spain (probable): Casillas, Ramos, Puyol, Ibanez, Pernia, Senna, Alonso, Xavi, Luis Garcia, Torres, Villa.

Ukraine (probable): Shovkovsky, Yezersky, Rusol, Vashchyuk, Nesmachny, Husin, Tymoshchyuk, Shelayev, Rotan, Rebrov, Belik.

Referee: Massimo Busacca (Switzerland)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shevchenko injured his knee playing for AC Milan against Parma in early May, but scored a goal for Ukraine in their 3-0 warm-up win over Luxembourg on 8 June.

"I am feeling quite well. The coach will decide whether I play. I'm ready for any decision he might make."

Ukraine coach Oleg Blokhin said: "We haven't discussed yet if he will play. I will discuss it with him."

Should be a good game this, lets see if Spain can actually do something this time.

line-ups :

[ 4-3-3 ]  [ 4-4-2 ]

Iker Casillas  Alexandr Shovkovskiy

Pablo Ibanez  Andriy Nesmachniy

Carlos Puyol  Andriy Rusol

Sergio Ramos  Vladyslav Vaschuk

Mariano Pernia  Volodymyr Yezerskyi

Xavi Hernadez  Oleg Gusev

Marcos Senna  Andriy Gusin

Xabi Alonso  Anatoli Timoschuk

David Villa  Ruslan Rotan

Fernando Torres  Andriy Voronin

Luis Garcia  Andriy Shevchenko

Shev is starting, think both would be happy with a draw going on the other two teams in the group.

Where is Luque? :(

I read somewhere that the reason Spain under-perform in major tournaments is because 75% of the population don't give a fuck about the national team (Catalans, Basques etc.)

148779[/snapback]

I've read that too and always thought it was a shite excuse. The fact the success on Spanish teams in Europe (or at least the Champs League/European Cup) has relied on foreigners would tend to suggest they're players aren't as good as they make out. I only want them to win this game as I've hoyed my Brazil winnings on them btw.

Where is Luque? :(

I read somewhere that the reason Spain under-perform in major tournaments is because 75% of the population don't give a fuck about the national team (Catalans, Basques etc.)

148779[/snapback]

I dont think their parochial attitudes are any more divisive than the Italians tbh-theres massive regional differences in Italy-but they always seem to get it on for the World Cup. Think they just have better players tbh.

I am looking forward to Spain again failing horribly to fulfill their potential

148769[/snapback]

I know my stuff :P

148794[/snapback]

Tbf, it'll be the 2nd round when they fuck up in spectacular style. I mean, even we beat them in a pentaly shoot out. :(

Aragones even looks like a bitter old racist, doesn't he? He's just the type you'd get down your local, nursing a half of stout all night and grumbling about the free televisions they doled out to that coloured family down the road.

148769[/snapback]

148794[/snapback]

Tbf, it'll be the 2nd round when they fuck up in spectacular style. I mean, even we beat them in a pentaly shoot out. :(

148802[/snapback]

Or as Chris Waddle would say pelanty shoot out.

Spain were robbed in that game. I was there. Soopafantastic tbh :P

148769[/snapback]

I know my stuff :razz:

148794[/snapback]

148802[/snapback]

148811[/snapback]

'England will go shipe for shipe'

Chris, what the fuck are you talking about? :P

148769[/snapback]

148794[/snapback]

148802[/snapback]

148811[/snapback]

:P

Wind your neck in, Alex for Christ's sake!

148769[/snapback]

148794[/snapback]

148802[/snapback]

148811[/snapback]

148817[/snapback]

I was :razz: I was taking the piss though Boxy baby. It took watching the highlights for me to realise Spain's 'goal' was onside.

Edited by Craig

148769[/snapback]

148794[/snapback]

148802[/snapback]

Spain were robbed in that game. I was there. Soopafantastic tbh :razz:

148811[/snapback]

I was :P I was taking the piss though Boxy baby. It took watching the highlights for me to realise Spain's 'goal' was onside.

148817[/snapback]

148819[/snapback]

Speechless tbh. The desired effect. :P