Elliott has Asian option

khay

Robbie Elliott has admitted he could turn his back on Newcastle in favour of a Middle East adventure.

The veteran defender has been offered a one-year deal to remain at St James' Park, but he also has a contract on the table from a club in the Middle East.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has told Elliott that he wants an answer in the next seven days and the former Bolton man admits he is agonising over his next move.

"It is something I want to try," said Elliott when asked to comment on the possibility of moving to United Arab Emirates.

Roeder is looking to mould his squad for next term and he added: "I want an offer from him by next week."

We are going to have fuck all players left after the world cup. :(

Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott has denied reports that he is keen for a move to the Middle East.

Elliott, 32, was interviewed on holiday in Dubai and then newspaper reports in the United Arab Emirates suggested he would like to play out there.

"I spoke to a reporter there who asked me what I thought of the place," Elliott told Newcastle's website.

"It seems as though those quotes have been turned around into something they weren't meant to be."

The former Bolton man added: "I haven't had talks with anyone out there and there are certainly no deals on the table."

The full-back is five years into his second stint at St James' Park and has been offered a contract for next season.

Elliott spoke to the reporter when attending a football conference in Dubai - where his ex-manager Ossie Ardiles was giving a speech.