Gerrard vs Lampard

Kid Dynamite

I think today showed perfectly why lampard should sit in the middle and let gerrard get forward and not vice versa. Lampard missed 4 or 5 decent chances and gerrard managed to bury his only half chance.

I know Lampard scores plenty for chelsea but i rate gerrard above him as a player and think we would threaten a lot more with him playing further forward.

ps. i know he scored, but leaving crouch on instead of owen again sven ;)

Play one or the other, whilst Lampard was able to get forward and miss, Gerrard did very little apart from his cameo at the end, Sven needs to have the balls to drop one or the other and play Carrick instead.

Gerrard was the most involved out of all the midfield, as he was playing deep it was hard for him to make any impression but it was him who was keeping it ticking over.

I agree with Jimbo , its one or the other and for me its Gerrard. Imo he just offers more at this level. Shame Beckham cant tackle/play a more defensive role cos it could solve two problems.

Edited by luckypierre

I've stated all along it has to be Gerrard to play, i've always believed Lampard is firmly overrated and is nowhere near Gerrard's level, against the top teams Lampard struggles with the technical side of things as was evident against Barcelona

Hargreaves instead of Lampard

*runs for cover*

149502[/snapback]

Played in his proper role I think that would work. The good thing about a Gerrard OR Lampard approach is that if Gerrard picks up a one-match ban, knock or whatever, you've got a fully fit Lampard to come in and replace him. As things stand if they both get booked in the next game we're facing the hideous prospect of Jenas v Ecuador/Germany. I'd definitely give one of them (Lampard) the night off against Sweden for that reason if nothing else.

Whoever mentioned playing Beckham at RB and Lampard in the middle and Gerrard on the right was onto something. Not sure Beckham can do a job there against the best teams but if Sven is insisting on playing all 3 then perhaps Beckham could be the one sitting in front of the back four.

I think Sven deserves some credit for the substitutions last night btw, although I can hardly believe I'm saying this.

The worst thing about England at the moment is that we are just totally out of ideas. Admitedly, on the hour mark yesterday, Sven did throw a wee bit of caution to the wind by hoying Lennon on, who along with Rooney managed to puch the Trinidadians back. But it until that point we were just bland, nowt going for us at all. Is annoying that Sven takes these other lads, Hargreaves, Jenas, Walcott, and he's never going to play them in a million years. Hargreaves is a talented footballer, he played with Ballack and was regularly the main man in that pair, but he'll never get a chance for England.

Whoever mentioned playing Beckham at RB and Lampard in the middle and Gerrard on the right was onto something. Not sure Beckham can do a job there against the best teams but if Sven is insisting on playing all 3 then perhaps Beckham could be the one sitting in front of the back four.

I think Sven deserves some credit for the substitutions last night btw, although I can hardly believe I'm saying this.

149506[/snapback]

Aye, fair play to the man, he went for it. Thought Downing did very canny when he came on, at least he managed to beat a man.

149506[/snapback]

Beckham should be nowhere near RB against any half decent team. I'd rather see us go 3 at the back, as a RWB his defensive deficiencies will be less of an issue. He's no good as a holding CM either, we've been there before.

Edited by luckypierre

149506[/snapback]

Beckham should be nowhere near RB against any half decent team. I'd rather see us go 3 at the back, as a RWB his defensive deficiencies will be less of an issue. He's no good as a holding CM either, we've been there before.

149523[/snapback]

Lampard needs dropping. Against weaker teams we can start 352. Too much caution. Show the lads you beleive in them Sven. ;)

*runs for cover*

149502[/snapback]

I think that is probably the best solution.

Lampard and Gerard can work, they both played when we beat Germany 5-1 but Lampard plainly isnt playing well, and is also stopping Gerard from performing

149540[/snapback]

Think thats a good shout aswell. Hargreaves imo, sured England up aginst paraguay when he came on. He plays DM for bayern aswell, better shout in the spot then carrick aswell.

*runs for cover*

149502[/snapback]

I think that is probably the best solution.

Lampard and Gerard can work, they both played when we beat Germany 5-1 but Lampard plainly isnt playing well, and is also stopping Gerard from performing

149540[/snapback]

Agreed. But will Sven have the balls?

149506[/snapback]

149523[/snapback]

I wouldn't really disagree, it's just Sven will insist on playing all 3 of them and will not go to 3 at the back.

I don't even think it's a question of him having the balls anymore tbh, as listening to the pundits and the phone-ins most people recognise that one or the other needs to be dropped. I just think he's got his favourites and can't/doesn't want to see that it isn't working