Carr staying put?

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have blasted stories that Stephen Carr has submitted a transfer request.

Reports had claimed the former Republic of Ireland international had asked to quit St James' Park in order to return to London.

Carr has endured an injury-plagued two seasons on Tyneside since joining from Tottenham and was purported to want a return to the capital.

He was linked with Charlton Athletic and Fulham, while it was suggested he could be offered in part-exchange for The Cottagers' Steed Malbranque.

But Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd has reacted angrily to the rumours and insists Carr wants to stay in the North East.

"Stories that Stephen Carr has asked for a transfer are complete rubbish and I do not know where they have come from," Shepherd told the club's official website.

"I have spoken to both the player and his agent and the story is simply not true.

"Stephen is a key member of our first-team squad, he is an experienced, international player, and he will be back with the rest of the squad when they return for pre-season training later this month."

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder was equally perplexed by the reports and has been reassured that Carr does not want to leave the club.

Roeder added: "I have spoken to Stephen's agent and he assures me that he is going nowhere.

"The stories that have circulated today have no truth in them whatsoever."

Carr concluded last season by being sent off against Premiership champions Chelsea, although his red card was later rescinded.