Liverpool to sign Bellamy for £6m

Scottish Mag

Saturday June 17, 2006

The Guardian

Craig Bellamy will join Liverpool next week for £6m after Rafael Benítez chose to activate a get-out clause for that amount, due to expire at the end of the month, in the striker's contract with Blackburn Rovers.

The Wales international, a Liverpool supporter as a child, has proved a controversial figure in recent years, not least after his very public falling-out with the then Newcastle United manager Graeme Souness when he was at St James' Park. He will replace the outgoing Djibril Cissé at Anfield, as talks continue with Marseille to loan the injured France striker to the French club with a view to a permanent move.

Bellamy's desire to leave Ewood Park since his £5m purchase from Newcastle after a season of relative resurgence under his former Wales mentor Mark Hughes will disappoint Rovers, who had hoped to persuade the 26-year-old to remain in east Lancashire. But the clause in the striker's contract was due to expire at the end of June, after which Blackburn could have demanded a higher fee for their leading scorer from last season, with Liverpool finally choosing to make a move after months of deliberation.

The striker had made it clear he would favour joining Liverpool, who will offer him an immediate return to the Champions League, and Hughes was unable to persuade him otherwise. Even so, Benítez needed convincing that Bellamy, who scored 17 goals last season, was the right man to partner Peter Crouch on Merseyside.

Indeed, Benítez's initial plan was to pursue the Charlton Athletic striker Darren Bent. But once it became clear that Liverpool could not sell Cissé for about £8m - as had been hoped until he suffered a double fracture to his right leg in a friendly for France - those plans quickly shifted. Although Bent has enjoyed only one season in the Premiership, Bellamy actually represents a cheaper option in terms of his transfer fee and undoubtedly offers more proven pedigree.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CrimsonFault

Souness is quite simply a fuckpig. And to think some of our fans dont want him back because they don't think he's a nice lad.

So one of rivals in the league are ultimately going to profit from his services thanks simply to a carry-on of stupid proportions nearly 18 months ago??

And let us not forget there were two parties involved in that spat. It was all being 'put into the past'..........

Then Bellamy decided to speak live on SSN.

I've agreed (and still do) that other managers would have handled the situation better, but anyone who said Bellamy was blameless is kidding themselves. Ultimately, he's engineered himself a move to a club in the CL...

I'll be gutted if he joins Liverpool. Bellamy deserves the move though, he's kept quiet and kept his head down and proven Souness and all the other idiots wrong who said that he was never really any good as a striker anyway because he didn't score enough goals.

I've agreed (and still do) that other managers would have handled the situation better, but anyone who said Bellamy was blameless is kidding themselves. Ultimately, he's engineered himself a move to a club in the CL...

149939[/snapback]

I agree that there were two stupid fuckers in it, but that's bollocks. He desperately wanted to stay but misjudged the situation. He was right that the prick needed to be taken on, he just played it badly; shame a few others (myself included, but mainly people who actually could have done something about it) hadn't sussed the situation out so quickly.

Still only worth 6m though......interesting that his value hasn't skyrocketed.

Maybe someone else will come in for him and that'll change, but still.

Double whammy for Souey though...we qualify for Europe and Bellamy gets signed by a big side......he must be oh so proud. ;)

Still only worth 6m though......interesting that his value hasn't skyrocketed.

Maybe someone else will come in for him and that'll change, but still.

Double whammy for Souey though...we qualify for Europe and Bellamy gets signed by a big side......he must be oh so proud.  ;)

149955[/snapback]

he's probably worth between 8m and 12m but the clause in his contract means that any club who bids at least 6m gets to talk to him and his agent.

in theory he could be sold for a fee of 8.75m

He's not our player any more.  I couldn't give a shit what he does or where he goes.

149942[/snapback]

Ditto. I honestly could not give two fucks. He's not coming back here so he's completely irrelevant.

149939[/snapback]

I agree that there were two stupid fuckers in it, but that's bollocks. He desperately wanted to stay but misjudged the situation. He was right that the prick needed to be taken on, he just played it badly; shame a few others (myself included, but mainly people who actually could have done something about it) hadn't sussed the situation out so quickly.

149953[/snapback]

Sorry DB, what I wrote doesn't actually transcibe my thoughts. What I meant is that in the end his actions have led him to end up at a club in the CL, I didn't mean that that was his aim back in January 2005....

Can't you lot take Leazes back?  ;)

:(

150027[/snapback]

An intelligent post from you, as usual.

It's not my fault I was the only person who said Bellamy was a great player when we signed him....

:D

150027[/snapback]

It's not my fault I was the only person who said Bellamy was a great player when we signed him....

150028[/snapback]

Cheers. :(

150027[/snapback]

150028[/snapback]

A bold statement considering this place, nor it's earlier incarnations, had been created and therefore you couldn't possibly know what the rest of us thought at the time :(

Sorry DB, what I wrote doesn't actually transcibe my thoughts. What I meant is that in the end his actions have led him to end up at a club in the CL, I didn't mean that that was his aim back in January 2005....

149982[/snapback]

Fair enough.

So one of rivals in the league are ultimately going to profit from his services thanks simply to a carry-on of stupid proportions nearly 18 months ago??

And let us not forget there were two parties involved in that spat. It was all being 'put into the past'..........

Then Bellamy decided to speak live on SSN.

149939[/snapback]

Anyone who thinks Liverpool are our "rivals" is kidding themselves tbh

Can't you lot take Leazes back?  :(

150027[/snapback]

150028[/snapback]

;):D:(

Can't you lot take Leazes back?  :lol:

:icon_lol:

150027[/snapback]

150028[/snapback]

A bold statement considering this place, nor it's earlier incarnations, had been created and therefore you couldn't possibly know what the rest of us thought at the time :)

150059[/snapback]

Grassroots will tell you .......

I'm always right Craig, you should know that by now :D Of course, I realise a few others maybe thought he would be top class, not you though !!!

I can't agree we are better off without him, or that he had to go. We aren't and we weren't. For a 4m quid transfer fee, we won't replace him for that either, so we have lost out in every way you look at it.

:icon_lol:

150027[/snapback]

150028[/snapback]

:lol::D:D

150213[/snapback]

:icon_lol::):lol:

interesting.