Proven hit man needed

Scottish Mag

Mick Quinn is hoping that Newcastle United's long list of successful No 9s continues next season and believes that only a proven goalscorer will fit the bill.

Since the goalscoring Scouser pulled on the special black-and-white shirt back in 1989, United have had a succession of class acts donning the famous jersey, with David Kelly, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer leading the line in style in the last 17 years.

Quinn admits replacing Shearer won't be an easy task but feels that in Michael Owen, Newcastle are already half-way to a dream partnership that will strike fear throughout the Premiership.

He said today: "United know they need to go out and buy, even though Shola Ameobi finished the season quite strongly.

"I think Shola still has room for improvement, and we are still waiting to see him at his very best.

"But I would love to see someone like Fernando Torres come to Newcastle; he would be perfect to fill the void.

"For me, United need a striker who is available, and although he would cost a bit of money, at 22 he would be a great investment.

"I would snap Atletico Madrid's hand off for him, the lad is pure quality.

"And when it comes to replacing people like Shearer, you cannot just pull them out of a hat!

"Another player I feel would be good for Newcastle is Toni, the Italian striker who has just scored 30 goals for Fiorentina.

"If he can do that in Serie A then God knows what he could do in the Premiership.

"Yes, replacing Shearer will cost money, but I know the chairman has always backed his managers."

Merseysider Quinn, however, believes that United will feel that they have a new striker on the books come August when Michael Owen returns from the World Cup.

The ex-Liverpool man has netted seven in 11 games for Newcastle since his £17m move from Real Madrid and Quinn reckons the best is still to come.

He added: "Michael Owen will be back for Newcastle and will be a big asset for them in the early rounds of Europe.

"At the minute people are saying he isn't sharp or sluggish but he isn't getting the service for England.

"At Newcastle he will get that and will add to his goals tally.

"If Owen doesn't get service he may as well be sat in the Milburn Stand."

I'd like to see Luca Toni or Vincenzo Iaquinta sign for us but both would cost a shed load, but both are traditional number 9's.

I'd like to see Luca Toni or Vincenzo Iaquinta sign for us but both would cost a shed load, but both are traditional number 9's.

150010[/snapback]

as much as i would also like to see those two players at our club i see a problem (assuming that ive interpreted your meaning of 'traditional no 9' as being a target man, back to goal etc etc)

isnt there an argument to having two pacy forwards rather than one 'static' and one with pace?