Glenn Roeder on Sportsweek

The Mighty Hog

Not sure if anyone else caught it but Roeder gave a short interview on 5 Live. There wasn't anything major discussed but there was a quick discussion on transfers. Basically:

We are talking to players

No one coming in this week

Hopes for one or two by the time the Intertoto game

Nopefull 5 or 6 in time for the start of the season.

Roeder plans summer transfer raid

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder hopes to make "five or six" signings prior to the start of the new season.

"We need to add to the squad," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"We've already lost one or two players. Alan Shearer has retired, Lee Bowyer and Michael Chopra have gone. That's three players down straight away.

"We won't be signing anybody this week but we're talking to players. I hope we'll have a couple of new faces. Maybe there will be five or six in total."

Roeder added: "It's important for the players we have that they see us bringing in new faces over the coming weeks."

Meanwhile, Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has dismissed reports suggesting full-back Stephen Carr had requested a transfer.

"I have spoken to the player and his agent and the story is simply not true," he told the club website.

"Stephen is a member of our first-team squad, he is an experienced, international player. He will be back with the rest of the first-team squad when they return for pre-season training later this month."

I have no idea what money is available but we should be looking to make 3 big/decent size signings and augment that with cheaper players who are either young and up and coming or older and have a couple of years left, combined with using loa ndeals and trying to spot a decent free tranfer somewhere.

But when have NUFC ever made good use of loan deals, experienced players for reasonable fees or up and coming youngsters before they cost too much?

We already had a squad lacking in depth and we've now lost Shearer, Chopra and Bowyer and Clarkie is semi-retired, with the hope we'll also lose Faye, Butt and Boom. That leaves a large hole to fill in our squad so we have to see some intelligent wheeling and dealing to get our squad up to scratch.

That leaves a large hole to fill in our squad so we have to see some intelligent wheeling and dealing to get our squad up to scratch.

150241[/snapback]

Ha now that is the funniest thing i've seen in a while.

That leaves a large hole to fill in our squad so we have to see some intelligent wheeling and dealing to get our squad up to scratch.

150241[/snapback]

150461[/snapback]

Is your post count and name are a tribute to Heinz?

150241[/snapback]

150461[/snapback]

150585[/snapback]

Is English are your second language? :lol:

150241[/snapback]

150461[/snapback]

150585[/snapback]

Is English are your second language? :lol:

150589[/snapback]

Pees off

150241[/snapback]

150461[/snapback]

150585[/snapback]

Is English are your second language? :D

150589[/snapback]

Pees off

150592[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure we are cash poor in the short to medium term. :lol: