Angelic Upstart

Jusoda Kid

Tommy "Mensi" Mensforth feared he would lose an eye after a bottle was thrown at him during a gig.

Mensi, lead singer of North Punk veterans The Angelic Upstarts, was left with a gash in his right eye.

The gig was stopped and he was treated by paramedics at Newcastle's Carling Academy, which was holding an anniversary concert last month celebrating 30 years of punk.

Mensi said: "They called the ambulance and we had to stop the gig because I was concussed and shocked.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"I thought I was going to lose my eye at one point. It was so swollen it closed over itself, so I couldn't see. It's taken a couple of weeks, but it's healing up now."

It is thought the bottle was thrown by a Newcastle fan in the audience, who had taken exception to bandmates wearing Sunderland strips.

Fanatical Sunderland supporter Mensi, who is 50 this year, said: "We all went on in Sunderland shirts, well, all except our guitarist Neil, who's a Newcastle fan.

"But it obviously went down like a lead balloon. Someone obviously didn't take too kindly to it, but if that was the case, why didn't they have the guts to come to the front rather than chucking a bottle from the back? We were making a point to be honest, and I'd do the same again.

"It p*sses us off that whenever the North East is discussed, it's always Newcastle this, Newcastle that, and Sunderland never gets a mention."

The controversial outfit, from South Shields, South Tyneside, formed in 1977 with a line-up featuring Mensi, Mond on guitar, Steve on bass and Decca on drums.

What did the thick mackem bastard expect at a gig in Newcastle full of old punks, they really are a bunch of inbreds.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Why does he expect Sundralnd to ever get a mention, exactly what would they get a mention for???

And how stupid do you have to be to turn up to a punk gig in Newcastle wearing mackem tops!!! The equivalent in Sunderland with their bitterness would have seen far worse happen.

However that still doesn't excuse some prick from chucking the bottle and he is right about one thing, they were a spineless little tosser who didn't have the guts to go to the front and face him, relyign on chucking a bottle from a safe distance.

Why does he expect Sundralnd to ever get a mention, exactly what would they get a mention for???

And how stupid do you have to be to turn up to a punk gig in Newcastle wearing mackem tops!!! The equivalent in Sunderland with their bitterness would have seen far worse happen.

However that still doesn't excuse some prick from chucking the bottle and he is right about one thing, they were a spineless little tosser who didn't have the guts to go to the front and face him, relyign on chucking a bottle from a  safe distance.

150285[/snapback]

A good shot though none the less, if only their strikers were as accurate :lol:

However that still doesn't excuse some prick from chucking the bottle and he is right about one thing, they were a spineless little tosser who didn't have the guts to go to the front and face him, relying on chucking a bottle from a safe distance.

150285[/snapback]

A good shot though none the less, if only their strikers were as accurate :lol:

150293[/snapback]

:D

True, if he was indeed at the back, he covered the dustance well to make an eye shot!

Well if they'd been playing at a major music venue in Sunderland they'd have been okay... Oh shit.

The chip on their shoulders about Newcastle being seen as the be all and end all of the north east makes me smile so much :lol:

youve got to be a bit of C U N T to pay good money to see a band only to throw stuff at them

fucking autocensing bollocks!

Edited by Lazarus

youve got to be a bit of *nast word that catmag dont like to pay good money to see a band only to throw stuff at them

150301[/snapback]

Isn't that all part and parcel of being a punk tho, to throw things, spit on people and jump up and down on each other heads whilst trying to dis-entangle your safety pins and beer towels ??? :lol:

youve got to be a bit of *nast word that catmag dont like to pay good money to see a band only to throw stuff at them

150301[/snapback]

Isn't that all part and parcel of being a punk tho, to throw things, spit on people and jump up and down on each other heads whilst trying to dis-entangle your safety pins and beer towels ??? :lol:

150303[/snapback]

Was it Joe Strummer who during a gig was unfortunate enough to have somebody's spit fly into his mouth and end up cathcing a ddisease or soemthing from it? I'm sure it happened to some well know punk frontman.

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

Was it Joe Strummer who during a gig was unfortunate enough to have somebody's spit fly into his mouth and end up cathcing a ddisease or soemthing from it? I'm sure it happened to some well know punk frontman.

150312[/snapback]

Think that's what is commonly known as an urban myth... :D

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

150312[/snapback]

150315[/snapback]

Well i got it from a tv interview featuring either the person involved himself or band member/crew member who was present, though its from ages ago so i don't remember it well!

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

150312[/snapback]

150315[/snapback]

Well i got it from a tv interview featuring either the person involved himself or band member/crew member who was present, though its from ages ago so i don't remember it well!

150317[/snapback]

No idea then...thought it might be just one of those " and one time at band camp" stories... :D

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

150312[/snapback]

150315[/snapback]

150317[/snapback]

No idea then...thought it might be just one of those " and one time at band camp" stories... :D

150320[/snapback]

Mind you, i wouldn't rule out the fact that i'm confusing that "urban myth" with some other genuine story a band was talking about thats actually true, my memory fluctuates wildly from amazing to abysmal!

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

150312[/snapback]

150315[/snapback]

150317[/snapback]

150320[/snapback]

Mind you, i wouldn't rule out the fact that i'm confusing that "urban myth" with some other genuine story a band was talking about thats actually true, my memory fluctuates wildly from amazing to abysmal!

150324[/snapback]

I think this calls for some research on your part....would be interesting to find out if it's true...I could ask Baz Warne if he knows anything ??

150301[/snapback]

150303[/snapback]

150312[/snapback]

150315[/snapback]

150317[/snapback]

150320[/snapback]

150324[/snapback]

I think this calls for some research on your part....would be interesting to find out if it's true...I could ask Baz Warne if he knows anything ??

150327[/snapback]

I've had a quick look on the net and can't find anythign relating to Joe Strummer like that. So either its somebody else or i've completely mixed up an urban myth with soem real story which i can't remember the details of!

However that still doesn't excuse some prick from chucking the bottle and he is right about one thing, they were a spineless little tosser who didn't have the guts to go to the front and face him, relyign on chucking a bottle from a  safe distance.

150285[/snapback]

Yep, should have gone down to the front maybe then he might have taken the twats eye out.

I have nothing against anyone who wears a sunderland top in Newcastle. However, it's usually done by people who think their being clever and this lot probably thought it would be KERAZY for them to be wearing a mackem shirt in Newcastle OMG! WTF! You'll always ALWAYS get some hard bastids who'll take exception to it and start kicking off. So, tough shit.