The Lindisfarne Gospels

thenorthumbrian

The Lindisfarne Gospels

The kingdom of Northumbria stretched from the Humber to the Forth and was once the most powerful kingdom in the British Isles and was a nation before either England or Scotland existed.

The Lindisfarne Gospels are the greatest Northumbrian treasure.

There has been an ongoing campaign to have the Gospels returned to the North East from London for some time. Back home the gospels would be a boost to Northumbrian pride in our own achievements; they would become a focal point for people studying our unique culture & history.

And I would like to see regional organisations such as One North-East, the Regional Assembly, and Culture North East put their weight behind the campaign, these organisations seem to keep such a low profile in relation to our regional culture I am sure most people aren’t even aware they exist.

It would be nice to see prominent individuals from our region backing the campaign as well.

Now there is an opportunity for the people of this region to make their feelings known by signing an online petition for the permanent return of the Gospels at the Northumbrian Association website.

http://www.northumbrianassociation.co.uk/index.html

&

There is also

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/nepride/index.jhtml

Pointless fact. The house forms in my school were named Aidan, Bede, Cuthbert, Hilda and Oswald after the Northumbrian saints.

You can all rest easier for knowing that..

Pointless fact.  The house forms in my school were named Aidan, Bede, Cuthbert, Hilda and Oswald after the Northumbrian saints.

150985[/snapback]

Hilda house instantly sound like the ones that must have come last on every sports day. :lol:

Pointless fact.  The house forms in my school were named Aidan, Bede, Cuthbert, Hilda and Oswald after the Northumbrian saints.

150985[/snapback]

They were Aidan, Bede and Cuthbert at my Middle School. At my High School they had the highly original names of Red, Yellow and Green.

They could be in Timbuktu for all I care tbh.  Sorry like.

150986[/snapback]

Here's an idea, stick them in the British Library :lol:

Am I the only one whose forms were named A, B, C, D etc?!

151000[/snapback]

Think i was in the quality group that was purple....

Long-jumper and triple-jumper on Sports Day :lol:

150985[/snapback]

All the roads in holy cross are simlarly named - i used to live on bede crescent when i was a wee nipper. used to go to sunday school in the 'green hut' as well :lol:

150985[/snapback]

Aiden, Cuthbert, Oswin, and Bede at mine.

Am I the only one whose forms were named A, B, C, D etc?!

151000[/snapback]

Ours were letters, but not in alphabetical order.

At our school, the form letters were the first letter of the form teacher's surname, with the year number (7,8,9,10, 11) in front of it.

Ours were named after a letter from 'Thomas' in St Thomas More. We were 'm'. If I remember, 'o' was the one full of mongs.

151039[/snapback]

Ours were after the letters in ANSELms. My other post was referring to "houses" you were put in for the purpose of merits/sporting achievements etc. I take it those were dropped?

Ours were named after a letter from 'Thomas' in St Thomas More. We were 'm'. If I remember, 'o' was the one full of mongs.

151039[/snapback]

Ours were after the letters in ANSELms. My other post was referring to "houses" you were put in for the purpose of merits/sporting achievements etc. I take it those were dropped?

151043[/snapback]

Aye, no houses, it was the 90's man...get wid it.

150985[/snapback]

Hilda house instantly sound like the ones that must have come last on every sports day. :lol:

150987[/snapback]

On the contrary.

Aidan - geeks and musicians

Bede - charvas

Cuthbert - brainboxes

Hilda - sporty-types

Oswald - retards and mongs

150985[/snapback]

Hilda house instantly sound like the ones that must have come last on every sports day. :D

150987[/snapback]

On the contrary.

Bede - charvas

Cuthbert - brainboxes

Hilda - sporty-types

151087[/snapback]

I notice you don't tell us which one you were in :lol:

150985[/snapback]

Hilda house instantly sound like the ones that must have come last on every sports day. :D

150987[/snapback]

On the contrary.

Bede - charvas

Cuthbert - brainboxes

Hilda - sporty-types

151087[/snapback]

I notice you don't tell us which one you were in :lol:

151095[/snapback]

Cuthbert.

On the contrary.

Bede - charvas

Cuthbert - brainboxes

Hilda - sporty-types

151087[/snapback]

Fook me, did the Sorting Hat ever get it wrong?

:lol: