Owen out for 5 months

Ted Maul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this based on the scan and medical opinion, or someone like Kenny Sansome watching the replay and making a guess? I'm always wary with SSN cos they talk such shit a lot of the time.

Just heard that now, breaking news, also confirmed Newcastle are now looking for TWO new strikers.

151499[/snapback]

Have we announced it? I can just see Shepherd doing that to alert any club to whack their prices up forthwith, the numbnuts. :lol:

Is this based on the scan and medical opinion, or someone like Kenny Sansome watching the replay and making a guess?  I'm always wary with SSN cos they talk such shit a lot of the time.

151505[/snapback]

Based on the scan apparently. Fucked his cruciates and will be out for 5 months.

The worst fears of Michael Owen and England have been realised after a scan revealed the striker will miss the next five months with cruciate ligament damage.

Owen collapsed in the opening exchanges of England's 2-2 draw with Sweden on Tuesday and initial fears that the injury was a serious one have now been confirmed.

More to follow...

I think 5 month sounds like an underestimate tbh. He's a dead slow healer, and how can they accurately predict anything the day after an injury like that.

It's taken him the best part of 6 months to recover from a broken foot, the little hermer!

Well, we'll get the old "Its like a new signing" when he's fit around Xmas. I thought we needed two new forwards anyway. Its a certainty now.

I know GR wants to wait until after the world cup, and I trust him to know what he is doing. But anything less and we're in trouble.

Fat Fred will be popping an artery over this !

How long before he makes a statement regarding nailing FIFA and the FA for compensation ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4825680.stm

Fifa set for Charleroi court case

Belgian club Charleroi are taking world governing body Fifa to court in a case that may change the game forever.

Charleroi, backed by G14 - which represents the world's richest clubs - are claiming compensation over a player injured in an international match.

Moroccan Abdelmajid Oulmers was out for eight months after playing against Burkina Faso in November 2004.

A meeting between Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Charleroi chairman Abbas Bayat failed to find an agreement.

The G14 group represents 18 of Europe's most powerful clubs and they are supporting Charleroi in their bid for compensation.

A G14 spokesman told BBC Sport: "If the court rules for Charleroi the benefits apply to every club not just the G14."

Charleroi will argue in the Belgian court that the loss of Oulmers scuppered their hopes of winning their domestic league last season.

Fifa has the financial muscle to put together an insurance pool to cover players injured

The G14 group has also joined French champions Olympique Lyon in a similar action regarding defender Eric Abidal, who broke his foot during a France friendly.

"We believe Fifa has the financial muscle to put together an insurance pool to cover players injured while on international duty," said the G14 spokesman.

Thomas Kurth, G14 general manager, said: "The current regulations are written by the federations, for the federations. Professional clubs have no direct representation on the bodies that make the rules and, not surprisingly, these regulations favour federations over clubs.

"The Oulmers case is an example of how a lack of representation can lead to rules which favour one party over another.

"G14 believes that these rules, which are imposed on all clubs without their consent, are unfair, undemocratic and must change. That is why G14 joined Royal Sporting Charleroi in the Oulmers case."

He said: "Firstly, clubs and national associations should be protected from the cost of player injuries. Secondly, clubs should get some reasonable compensation for the contribution they make to international tournaments.

"Thirdly, a harmonised international calendar for club on national team football must be mutually agreed between clubs and federations."

Fifa says there is no link between the injury of Oulmers and where Charleroi finished in the league last season.

It believes national associations should reimburse clubs and it is not the responsibility of the governing body.

Fifa says 75% of the profits from major tournaments are returned to national associations which decide what to do with the money.

Depending on the outcome of the legal action, the G14 could succeed in having the case referred to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.

The last major case in football to be referred to the EU court also started in Belgium and that decision had major ramifications for the game.

The "Bosman" ruling, named after a case brought by Jean-Marc Bosman, gave players the power to move freely between clubs when they were out of contract, increasing player power enormously.

another season of obscurity. well do shit cos wel have no strikers, everyone will get on roeders back, well end up bottom half of the table and hel be sacked by next summer.

gettin!

151534[/snapback]

That will fit in quite nicely with the plans to Shearer in charge by then!

Defo need two quality strikers and another midfielder come attacker pad out the squad now.

It's up to Newcastle to insure their players as they see fit shirley.

151539[/snapback]

indeed it is - as i understand that the fa also insures their players at major tournaments.

So potentially - we could get two massive insurance payouts.

the toon could value owen at say 20m.

the fa could value owen at say 15m.

35m thank you very much.

Torres and kuyt here we come :lol:

I'm really starting to get pissed off at the wee cunt now, I know its not his fault he picked up the injury but fuck rational thinking, its time to put the curtains up round him.

Michael Owen is out of the World Cup and flying back to England after a scan revealed the extent of his knee injury.

The 26-year-old striker twisted his right knee in the second minute of the 2-2 draw with Sweden in Cologne.

"Obviously it's a massive blow to suffer the injury - and be out of the World Cup. As soon as it happened I knew I was in trouble," said Owen.

Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said: "I'm sorry for him. But we have many players who can take that second striker role."

Owen said that he would return to England and work with the Newcastle medical staff to start a recovery programme.

The Magpies are expected to issue more details in a statement later on Wednesday.

"I'm clearly sorry to be leaving the lads in Germany, but I'm convinced they can go on and achieve success. "I'll be following all the matches very closely and giving them my full support, hopefully all the way to Berlin.

"My main objective is now to get fit as quickly as possible for Newcastle United."

Eriksson said: "Michael has had terrible luck with injuries since Christmas.

"I feel very sorry for him to miss out on the rest of the World Cup - it's a blow to him and a big loss for the team.

"However I am sure Michael will work very hard to get back as quickly as possible for Newcastle and England.

"He is a true professional and a very mentally strong person."

However, Eriksson said his team were still capable of lifting the World Cup despite the loss of Owen.

"We have Theo Walcott, who we haven't seen yet, we have the players in the squad who can play second striker such as Joe Cole and Steven Gerrard and Aaron Lennon can do it too.

"I'm not that worried about it. We don't want any more injuries on strikers but I'm not worried," added Eriksson.

England goalkeeper Paul Robinson told BBC Sport: "Everyone's gutted for Michael.

"It looks like we'll go through the rest of the tournament with Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch and hopefully they'll do well."

And England captain David Beckham, who has vowed to win the World Cup for Owen, said: "It's sad - Michael's one of those players you need in big tournaments. It's unfortunate for him and for us,"

The bad injury caps a nightmare season for Owen, who returned to English football last summer in a £17m switch from Real Madrid to Newcastle.

He enjoyed a successful start to his Newcastle career, but broke his foot on New Year's Eve at Tottenham.

Owen battled back to play at the World Cup but looked less than fully fit and was substituted in both of England's opening games, without scoring.

Hardly a heart-warming proposition, is it??