Owen out for 5 months

Ted Maul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

owen said he was fit to play against chelsea and refused? i must have missed that one like. can you provide a link?

151651[/snapback]

Look at my above post, Eriksson said he was fit to play but whatever reason he didn't even make the bench.

151654[/snapback]

those quotes don't paint the best picture i admit.

but i find it hard to believe that a fully fit and confident michael owen would have refused to play for us, regardless of what erikson says. maybe i should be more cynical. i'm basing my opinion of his commitment to nufc on the performances i've seen him put in for us.

he was obviously desperate to get fit for the world cup but does that mean he isn't committed to newcastle? was he deliberately misleading our medical staff or was he genuinely concerned about coming back too soon? i don't know. to be fair to him it was the last game of the season - he didn't want to take any chances.

owen said he was fit to play against chelsea and refused? i must have missed that one like. can you provide a link?

151651[/snapback]

Look at my above post, Eriksson said he was fit to play but whatever reason he didn't even make the bench.

151654[/snapback]

but i find it hard to believe that a fully fit and confident michael owen would have refused to play for us, regardless of what erikson says. maybe i should be more cynical. i'm basing my opinion of his commitment to nufc on the performances i've seen him put in for us.

he was obviously desperate to get fit for the world cup but does that mean he isn't committed to newcastle? was he deliberately misleading our medical staff or was he genuinely concerned about coming back too soon? i don't know. to be fair to him it was the last game of the season - he didn't want to take any chances.

151664[/snapback]

A match very important to us (NUFC), the club that pays his wages.

It has been widely reported that the sole reason Owen joined us from Real Madrid was to improve his England chances. Have you forgotten this?

It may have been our final game but we had European football riding on it. I'll agree that Owen has given nothing but 100% for us when playing and I know it was only one game he missed but it annoys me that it appears he chose to miss it when we've paid a fortune for and to him and he knew how important the game was to us.

It is his anterior cruciate.  Shite.

151670[/snapback]

It's weird. It was such a nothing incident. No one near him, no studs stuck in the turf or anything. Just a weird buckling of his knee and now this.

Apparently his missus was inconsolable during the game, bealing and that.

151651[/snapback]

151654[/snapback]

151664[/snapback]

A match very important to us (NUFC), the club that pays his wages.

It has been widely reported that the sole reason Owen joined us from Real Madrid was to improve his England chances. Have you forgotten this?

151671[/snapback]

Renton man, he came to us to get regular football for two reasons: a) he was pig sick of sitting on the bench, and b ) he wanted to play in the World Cup. You're making far too much of the England thing.

Yes, he clearly loves playing for his country (although I think a lot of the shine will have been taken off by this World Cup), but he's not stupid enough to want a football career where he just went through the motions at club level to get to big tournaments with England. He's still got to have a club career and that's with us at the minute.

He broke his foot and now he's buggered his knee. I don't know what you want from the bloke??? :lol:

It is his anterior cruciate.  Shite.

151670[/snapback]

It's weird. It was such a nothing incident. No one near him, no studs stuck in the turf or anything. Just a weird buckling of his knee and now this.

Apparently his missus was inconsolable during the game, bealing and that.

151674[/snapback]

Stuck at home with him in Chester for the next 12 months while he pisses his wages up the wall on the geegees tbh.

If it's his anterior cruciate then he'll probably need reconstructive surgery and full recovery at Premiership level would probably be 9 months to a year, but full and absolute recovery is rare in those cased.  A better (!) scenario is if he's torn some meniscus or something but we won't know til the scan results are revealed.

151644[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah, you said Rooney wouldn't be fit and he is. On this evidence I reckon we'll see Owen by September. :lol:

As for Roeder not picking Owen when he was fit, it's a pointless debate because Shearer picked the team. :D

he came to us to get regular football for two reasons:  a) he was pig sick of sitting on the bench, and b ) he wanted to play in the World Cup.  You're making far too much of the England thing.

Yes, he clearly loves playing for his country (although I think a lot of the shine will have been taken off by this World Cup), but he's not stupid enough to want a football career where he just went through the motions at club level to get to big tournaments with England.  He's still got to have a club career and that's with us at the minute. 

He broke his foot and now he's buggered his knee.  I don't know what you want from the bloke???  :lol:

151675[/snapback]

Had this not been a WC year do you think Owen would've joined us? I reckon he would have taken his chances and stuck it out in Madrid. He is only here for regular football and the king's ransom we are paying him. Owen doesn't appear to have any affinity with the club, nor should he but when he is being paid the wages he is the least we should expect is for him to play when fit. If it wasn't "England's Michael Owen" in the situation but some dirty foreigner he would've been crucified.

Had this not been a WC year do you think Owen would've joined us? I reckon he would have taken his chances and stuck it out in Madrid. He is only here for regular football and the king's ransom we are paying him. Owen doesn't appear to have any affinity with the club, nor should he but when he is being paid the wages he is the least we should expect is for him to play when fit. If it wasn't "England's Michael Owen" in the situation but some dirty foreigner he would've been crucified.

151678[/snapback]

I must say, I have to agree with some of that. Although, I don't think he's a mecenary, he's a professional who's well advised.

151678[/snapback]

I must say, I have to agree with some of that. Although, I don't think he's a mecenary, he's a professional who's well advised.

151680[/snapback]

There's a difference?

Are only foreign players mercenaries?

If it's his anterior cruciate then he'll probably need reconstructive surgery and full recovery at Premiership level would probably be 9 months to a year, but full and absolute recovery is rare in those cased.  A better (!) scenario is if he's torn some meniscus or something but we won't know til the scan results are revealed.

151644[/snapback]

A full recovery in 5-6 months is quite possible. I had mine operation excactly one year ago and was allowed to do full sports again in December. The biggest problem normally is rather the lack of match practice which means you need another couple of months to rediscover your form.

151644[/snapback]

A full recovery in 5-6 months is quite possible. I had mine operationexcactly one year ago and was allowed to do full sports again in December. The biggest problem normally is rather the lack of match practice which means you need another couple of months to rediscover your form.

151708[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe Isegrim is really German.

Freddie's just been on 5 Live. :lol:

Took his time like, 20 hours before he was whinging to the press.

Fat!

Fat!

Fat!

Fat!

Fat!

151644[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah, you said Rooney wouldn't be fit and he is. On this evidence I reckon we'll see Owen by September. :lol:

151677[/snapback]

September 2007 you mean?

151644[/snapback]

A full recovery in 5-6 months is quite possible. I had mine operation excactly one year ago and was allowed to do full sports again in December. The biggest problem normally is rather the lack of match practice which means you need another couple of months to rediscover your form.

151708[/snapback]

I reckon rediscovering your form as a chubby, bespectacled German lecturer is a different kettle of fish tbh. :lol:

owen's comments

""I'm clearly sorry to be leaving the lads in Germany, but I'm convinced they can go on and achieve success. I'll be following all the matches very closely and giving them my full support, hopefully all the way to Berlin. My main objective is now to get fit as quickly as possible for Newcastle United.""

At least this should encourage the club to sign a striker.

I wish Owen a speedy recovery, it's a bad injury, let's just hope there's no long-term damage (me mam did the same thing).

May be a silly question but are we entitled to compensation as a result of such an injury?