Woodgate to return with juniors

Scottish Mag

Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate has been told he will make his return from a 16-month injury lay-off with Real Madrid's junior teams.

Woodgate, 25, was at the senior squad's pre-season training camp in Austria.

But Real coach Wanderley Luxemburgo said: "Woody will have to begin by playing alongside boys of 14 and 15, who are weaker and not as tough.

"He has to regain his confidence little by little and then forget the injury he has suffered."

Luxemburgo added: "Then he can go on to play alongside the 16 and 17-year-olds and then with the reserves in the second division.

"He has not played for at least 14 or 15 months and that is a long time to be out of action.

"With only two weeks of full training with the first team behind him he cannot play straight away.

"He has worked hard with the rest of his team-mates but he still has to work on other facets of the game and playing kick-abouts will help him a lot."

Woodgate is going to become one of our most important recruits of the season

Real vice-president Emilio Butragueno

Woodgate joined Real in August 2004 for £13.4m but has yet to make his debut.

The England international has not played a competitive match since he tore a thigh muscle during Newcastle's game against Chelsea in April 2004.

Luxemburgo said it was difficult to predict when the defender would be ready to play for the senior team.

"It is impossible to calculate when Woodgate will be able to play at the top level again," said Luxemburgo. "I'm not an oracle.

"I do have confidence that he will recover and we are going to give him the opportunity to play with us.

"We will let him tell us when he is ready and we will give him time to compete for a place with the other centre-backs and prove that he has recovered."

And Real Madrid vice-president Emilio Butragueno is in no doubt how important Woodgate will be for his club.

"Woodgate is going to surprise a lot of people because he is going to become one of our most important recruits of the season," said Butragueno.

"He has sacrificed a great deal and now is the time for him to get his reward."

He will carve up against 14 year olds!

Im pretty sure he could play reserves football. I think playing with 14 and 15 year olds will kill his confidence being placed so lowly!

How old was Nesta when he crocked Gascoigne?

12042[/snapback]

I think he was about 18-19 but he didn't Gazza crock himself with a reckless tackle on Nesta?