Trust us with transfers

Scottish Mag

MAGPIES supremo Freddy Shepherd has assured fans that he and manager Glenn Roeder will work hard to boost the strikeforce ahead of the new season.

With Alan Shearer having retired and Michael Chopra moved onto Cardiff City, strengthening the team's attack was a priority even before Michael Owen's knee injury this week.

And with the chairman admitting that his record signing will not figure again for "five or six months", he will sit down with manager Glenn Roeder next week to draw up an action plan.

Facing the TV cameras at St. James' Park on Wednesday afternoon, Mr Shepherd said: "We have always delivered the goods in the past, so just leave it to us in the transfer market.

"As everyone knows, Glenn is away on his Pro Licence course, but I'll be speaking to him later tonight, and when he's back at the weekend, we'll be sorting things out then.

"It's not easy - how do you replace Shearer and Owen? It's very difficult. But they (strikers) are there somewhere - we just have to find them."

When asked to reveal any targets, the chairman added: "There are plenty of names in the frame - but I'm not telling you."

to be fair everyone creamed their pants when we signed those 3 players, and there were plenty of others interested. I think it more a sign of crap management than bad buys that they turned out so shit!

151982[/snapback]

Hindsight is great isn't it.

If Owen's wages are fully covered by insurance as has been claimed, it should at least give as a few million extra to spend on a (very) cheap replacement.

151997[/snapback]

I'll get me boots ready.....

it's made for defoe. he's not happy at spurs and he'd be an ideal replacement for owen as he's like for like. i say test the water them with a cheeky £7m bid.

it's made for defoe. he's not happy at spurs and he'd be an ideal replacement for owen as he's like for like. i say test the water them with a cheeky £7m bid.

152076[/snapback]

I reckon they'd laugh at us with that bid. They reportedly turned down a £12m bid from Portsmouth, while Redknapp denied it was £12m I'm sure it was probably £10m+. The fact is that Spurs don't need to sell but we need to buy and they know that, I can't see us having the money to meet their price.

152076[/snapback]

I reckon they'd laugh at us with that bid. They reportedly turned down a £12m bid from Portsmouth, while Redknapp denied it was £12m I'm sure it was probably £10m+. The fact is that Spurs don't need to sell but we need to buy and they know that, I can't see us having the money to meet their price.

152091[/snapback]

Exactly. Once again everyone knows we are desperately short in certain positions. We will get screwed.

What's the Milner situation? Someone please tell me we haven't sold him yet.

James Back At St. James'

By Ian Willis

JAMES Milner will be back on Tyneside next week for pre-season training ready to stake his claim for a place in Glenn Roeder's team.

Milner, who signed for the Magpies in the summer of 2004, spent the bulk of last season on loan at Aston Villa after moving to the Midlands on transfer deadline day.

Villa boss David O'Leary has been keen to make the move permanent, with some reports suggesting signing Milner on a permanent deal was the Irishman's main priority this summer.

But the former Leeds starlet has been in contact with Roeder, and the manager told him he would be happy to have him fighting for a place at St. James' Park next season.

And with Michael Owen out injured, Alan Shearer having retired and Michael Chopra now with Cardiff City, Milner's ability to operate as a striker will give Roeder a boost.

Roeder said: "I have already met James, and I have told him I am very happy for him to stay here.

"He told me that he knows nobody can be guaranteed first team football, but all he wanted was a fair opportunity and he is happy at what I told him.

"He has been away at Aston Villa for a year, and let's hope that even though he is still only 20 he comes back better for the experience and a lot more mature and assertive."

Pigface O'Leary will be gutted. Bet he's taking down his Milner posters from Match and Shoot as we speak.