Owen vows to return for Cup medal

Craig

Injured England striker Michael Owen has vowed to return to Germany to collect his World Cup winners' medal.

The 26-year-old ruptured his anterior cruciate knee ligament in England's 2-2 draw with Sweden on Tuesday and is expected to be out for five months.

But the Newcastle forward is remaining positive about England's chances of lifting the trophy in his absence.

He told the Times newspaper: "My tournament might be over, but I still want that medal around my neck."

Owen, who returned back to England on Wednesday, added: "I told Sven-Goran Eriksson that I would be back out for the World Cup final.

"It is strange to think that my farewell was the last I might see of Sven, a manager who has picked me whenever I have been available and for whom I have scored a lot of goals.

"But I haven't given up hope of seeing him again on July 9."

Owen has revealed that although he is disappointed not to be taking any more part in this year's finals, he feels guilty for Newcastle United whom he joined for £17m from Real Madrid last August.

"I was sending text messages apologising to all sorts of people for letting them down," he said.

"I feel really guilty when I think of the people at Newcastle United.

"I think of the chairman Freddy Shepherd, who has invested all that money and Glenn Roeder, the manager, who has kept in touch through the tournament and been very supportive."

Owen has made 11 appearances for the St James' Park outfit and scored seven goals.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...and/5104892.stm

I'm not one of these 'Owen-bashers' who thinks he's a mercenary who is simply at our club for the money, but I'm suprised he made no mention of the fans when he said that...

I'm not one of these 'Owen-bashers' who thinks he's a mercenary who is simply at our club for the money, but I'm suprised he made no mention of the fans when he said that...

151954[/snapback]

Didnt you get a text?

Got mine yesterday afternoon...

"Dear Pud, Im reallly reallllllly sorry for not playing for the Toon, honest I will once this injury has gone I'll be geet fit and everything.

Love n kisses.

Micky"

151954[/snapback]

Didnt you get a text?

Got mine yesterday afternoon...

"Dear Pud, Im reallly reallllllly sorry for not playing for the Toon, honest I will once this injury has gone I'll be geet fit and everything.

Love n kisses.

Micky"

151956[/snapback]

I thin he's got that on a template mind.

Michael Owen has revealed his first thought when he realised the severity of his knee injury was for his club Newcastle United.

Wednesday's scan confirmed that the injury suffered in the opening stages of England's match with Sweden was cruciate ligament damage and the player may now not see action again until 2007.

Some reports are even suggesting Owen will have to sit out the entire forthcoming season and that would come as a huge blow to Newcastle - a club, who despite shelling out £17 million to sign him from Real Madrid last August, have seen Owen make just 11 appearances in a black-and-white shirt.

Having also been without the former Liverpool striker for virtually the whole of the second half of the last campaign following a broken metatarsal sustained in December, Owen admits he now feels guilty.

"I can control my emotions and I can honestly say that when I was flat on my back with ice-packs around my knee, it wasn't self-pity I was feeling but guilt," Owen told the Times.

"I was sending text messages apologising to all sorts of people for letting them down.

"I think of the chairman Freddy Shepherd, who has invested all that money and Glenn Roeder, the manager, who has kept in touch through the tournament and been very supportive. And those great fans who have only seen me for 11 matches."

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder could not hide his disappointment at the loss of Owen, with the news coming as a major blow to his preparations for the new season.

The Magpies may now double their efforts to inject new blood into the team's striking department but Roeder insists the loss of Owen will not be easily compensated.

"Now people will understand why Sir Alex Ferguson has been jumping up and down at Old Trafford about the Wayne Rooney situation," said Roeder.

"For at the end of the day, Rooney will probably be the difference between Manchester United winning the Premiership title or not.

"And Michael Owen is the same for us. Strikers like Alan Shearer and Michael Owen do not just grow on trees and you just cannot go out and get another one.

"Yes, it is a massive blow but what Newcastle United will not do is wallow in self-pity."

While Owen's thoughts are now fixed on a quest to get fit for his club, the striker, who flew home from Germany on Wednesday, is keeping his fingers crossed he will be able to return on July 9 to pick up a World Cup winner's medal.

"As I left the team hotel in Germany yesterday to fly home, I told Sven-Goran Eriksson that I would be back out for the World Cup final," said Owen.

"My tournament might be over, but I still want that medal around my neck.

"It is strange to think that my farewell yesterday was the last I might see of Sven, a manager who has picked me whenever I have been available and for whom I have scored a lot of goals.

Just a little bit more.

The thing that gets me about owen is that he usually talks us in the 3rd person. Shearer would always talk about 'our fans' , 'my club' etc. Owen refers to us as 'THE newcastle fans'. I know its daft but i never get the feeling hes 100percent happy at being here still.

The thing that gets me about owen is that he usually talks us in the 3rd person. Shearer would always talk about 'our fans' , 'my club' etc. Owen refers to us as 'THE newcastle fans'. I know its daft but i never get the feeling hes 100percent happy at being here still.

152015[/snapback]

Or he has never really got the chance to play much, so does not really feel part of the team yet. :lol:

Guest CrimsonFault
To be honest i dont think any england players gonna get a medal at this rate.

152198[/snapback]

Why do all your posts start after 3 blank lines?

152205[/snapback]

He often shoots blanks.

Edited by CrimsonFault

Injured England striker Michael Owen has vowed to return to Germany to collect his World Cup winners' medal.

The 26-year-old ruptured his anterior cruciate knee ligament in England's 2-2 draw with Sweden on Tuesday and is expected to be out for five months.

But the Newcastle forward is remaining positive about England's chances of lifting the trophy in his absence.

He told the Times newspaper: "My tournament might be over, but I still want that medal around my neck."

Owen, who returned back to England on Wednesday, added: "I told Sven-Goran Eriksson that I would be back out for the World Cup final.

"It is strange to think that my farewell was the last I might see of Sven, a manager who has picked me whenever I have been available and for whom I have scored a lot of goals.

Owen has revealed that although he is disappointed not to be taking any more part in this year's finals, he feels guilty for Newcastle United whom he joined for £17m from Real Madrid last August.

"I was sending text messages apologising to all sorts of people for letting them down," he said.

"I think of the chairman Freddy Shepherd, who has invested all that money and Glenn Roeder, the manager, who has kept in touch through the tournament and been very supportive."

Owen has made 11 appearances for the St James' Park outfit and scored seven goals.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...and/5104892.stm

151954[/snapback]

I saw a longer version of that where he ended by mentioning the toon fans, but typically that bit gets missed off making it look as though he didn't give a toss!

I'd been wondering with regards to medals if you had to appear in the final or just in a game at the world cup to qualify for a medal (should we win it!)