Craig Bellamy Signs for Liverpool

Jimbo

Liverpool have completed the signing of striker Craig Bellamy from Blackburn on a four-year contract.

The 26-year-old Welsh international underwent a medical on Wednesday and completed his switch thought to be in the region of £6m on Thursday.

Bellamy told the club's website: "The fact that it was Liverpool made it impossible for me to turn them down.

"As I'm a fan, it doesn't matter what club I was at. I could never turn Liverpool down."

The Reds were given permission to speak to Bellamy earlier this week after their bid met contractual conditions.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes reluctantly told Bellamy that he could talk to the Reds after their bid met contractual conditions.

Bellamy's contract at Ewood Park was thought to include a clause, active until June 30, that allowed him to speak to any club offering £6m.

Liverpool are understood to have offered that amount, paving the way for contract negotiations to begin.

Bellamy scored 17 goals in 26 league and Cup starts for Rovers last season.

His signing has been welcomed by Reds striker Robbie Fowler.

He said: "He's an excellent player who will give an extra dimension to the squad."

Bellamy's arrival will signal competition for places with England forward Peter Crouch also vying for a starting berth.

But Fowler added: "He's quick, a nightmare for defenders to mark, never gives anything up and knows how to score goals.

"If we are going to overhaul Chelsea, we need plenty of competition for places and Craig's arrival will keep us all on our toes."

Guest CrimsonFault

What a fucking disgrace; and to think some people don't want him here because they think he's not a very ncie person.

At a time when we are coming to terms with the fact that the £16.5m replacement for Bellamy might not kick a ball again this year, the news that Bellamy is signing for Liverpool for £6m, when we will be probably delving into the bargain basement for a new striker, I find it rather hard to digest at the moment.

i'd take a fully fit owen over a fully fit bellamy

152159[/snapback]

That wasn't the question. At this exact moment in time, would you swap?

152162[/snapback]

no question. bellamy's fitness and form last season for rovers was as good as it ever was for us, where owen has just suffered a career threatening injury.

if they were both fully fit, i'd go for owen.

152159[/snapback]

152162[/snapback]

Yes, I'd go for the player who's not going to be out injured for the season. What a superbly pointless question. :lol:

152159[/snapback]

152162[/snapback]

Yes, I'd go for the player who's not going to be out injured for the season. What a superbly pointless question. :lol:

152181[/snapback]

Not really, you have to take a loss of 12 million in the process. And it's not just for one season.... :D

OK, it was pointless. ;)

People might say they are not interested in him as he isn't a Newcastle player anymore. Unfortunately I still do care as Bellamy even when not being a Newcastle player anymore is the perfect example of the raise and fall of Newcastle United. He brought us Championsleague football and when went we dropped back in midtable mediocrity again. A nonsensical self-orchestrated downfall. Unfortunately it didn't do his own career any harm and he is back where we actually wanted to be - competing for the top four places. F***ing stupid.

Good luck to him - hopefully it'll put to bed all those daft ideas of him ever coming back to Newcastle.

The whole episode should never have happened and he should still be on our books. But it did and and he was as guilty as anyone.

Do I wish it hadn't happened and he was still our player? Of course. Do I think we should have made the effort to bring him back? No.

Craig, I take it this is one instance where you don't actually mind your summer holiday being cut short?

"No question about that. Just to get the transfer completed today was an unbelievable moment for me. I just got married last month and that was obviously one of the highlights of my life but this is on par with that – I know the missus might not be happy with me saying that but it's true! It's a dream come true to sign for the club I supported as a boy and to actually play for Liverpool will be an enormous honour. I'm a very proud person at the moment."

You sat down with Rafa on Wednesday - did he impress you with his ideas about how he wants to take the club forward?

"As a fan, he's impressed me ever since he arrived at Anfield. What he has achieved as a manager, both at Anfield and before that in Spain, tells you everything you need to know about the man and I didn't need to meet him to know that he was taking the club in the right direction. But as a player, meeting him, what he was saying made so much sense and I just hope I can play a part in this already brilliant football team and hopefully make this great club even more successful."

Every Liverpool supporter wants to see the club finally lift the Premiership. Is that your goal now you've arrived at Anfield?

"Being a Liverpool supporter myself, at the start of every season it's the league title that you're looking to win. Being top of this league is something that Liverpool grew used to in the 70s and 80s but it hasn't happened for a while, and that has to change. Even from the outside looking in, you could tell that things were heading in the right direction under Mr Benitez and if we can improve on what we did last year and move two steps on, hopefully we can win the title."

Was it a hard decision to leave Blackburn Rovers?

"The fact that it was Liverpool made it impossible for me to turn down the move. As I'm a fan, it doesn't matter what club I was at – I could never turn Liverpool down. You get the chance to play for Liverpool and it's a lifelong dream come true. I had a lot of friends at Blackburn - the players, the coaching staff, the chairman are all great people – and I owe them a lot – a hell of a lot to be honest. They helped me improve and they were there at an awkward time for me but I've spoken to a lot of the players and they know the situation. I've had no problem from any player at Blackburn and I'm sure if any of them got the chance to join the team they love with all their heart, they'd do exactly the same thing. It's sad in a way to leave Blackburn but this is too good a chance to turn down."

What do you think you will be able to bring to this Liverpool team?

"Obviously I hope to score plenty of goals, I hope to make a lot of goals for my teammates and just to be another attacking option and a threat. I think I suit the way the team plays and the way the team plays is perfect for me. I just feel I can really excel at this club and hopefully that will be the case."

You just had a quick walk around the stadium and the museum. You've been here plenty of times before but has it sunk in yet that you are now officially a Liverpool player?

"To be honest, it hasn't sunk in yet but it's getting there! I think when I go back on my holiday and sit down with my missus and my two boys and the phone calls start, it'll really start registering just what has happened. I want to say this though – it's hard enough to come to a club like Liverpool, because it's such a special club and these opportunities arrive once in a lifetime, but I'm going to have to work even harder to make a good name for myself here. It's hard work coming here but it's going to be even harder to be a really big hit here – that's the way I'm looking at it. It's going to take a lot of work, a lot of focus, a lot of discipline – everything – to make it at a club like this. Because I want to be a hit. I don't want to just be remembered as a Liverpool player, I want to be remembered as a good Liverpool player. That's my motivation."

The Premiership fixtures came out this morning and Liverpool were handed an away trip to Sheffield United. How much are you looking forward to the season starting and finally pulling on that Liverpool shirt in the Premiership?

"There's so many games at a club like this and they're all great games. Someone just asked me which game I'm most looking forward to but there are so many big games when you play for Liverpool. There's Everton, there's Manchester United, there's club's I've played for in my past and there'll be Champions League games if the qualifying games go well. This club is surrounded with so many great games, week in and week out, and just to pull on the shirt on European nights will be an absolute dream for me."

Finally, have you got a message for the fans who will be desperate to see you play in a Liverpool shirt?

"Not really. I just hope to send out a message to them when I play on the pitch. I've got to win them over as well. I've got to start off well – and that's not usually the case for me to be honest, it usually takes me one or two game – but I'm sure the fans will see what I'm about as soon as I start playing for this great club."

Can you imagine what an even more annoying little shit he's going to be with that strip on?

(He was annoying for us but its okay when its for you)

152159[/snapback]

152162[/snapback]

Yes, I'd go for the player who's not going to be out injured for the season. What a superbly pointless question. :(

152181[/snapback]

Not really, you have to take a loss of 12 million in the process. And it's not just for one season.... :P

OK, it was pointless. :icon_lol:

152186[/snapback]

What are you moaning about, Liverpool have finally got someone who can score. I'd have thought you'd be delighted. :rolleyes: