Craig Bellamy Signs for Liverpool

Jimbo

Do I wish it hadn't happened and he was still our player? Of course. Do I think we should have made the effort to bring him back? No.

152196[/snapback]

Sorry, but that is a stance I cannot understand at all. Bellamy was an annoying little shit who wasn't totally innocent in the whole saga that led to his departure, but also proved to be total value for money. You won't get players of his calibre often for 6m. So Newcastle's loss has been Liverpool's gain. How people can be happy with this is beyond me.

But he can't have signed for Liverpool, people insisted he wasn't good enough and that the top clubs wouldn't touch him meaning Blackburn was the best he could do!!!

Those fans who have always appreciated just how good he is knew he wouldn't be at Blackburn long if the release clause was proven to be true and it has.

The fact that we didn't get him back is just another depressing incident in a long line concerning Bellamy and NUFC. We lose essentially our best player (along with Given) for a piss poor transfer fee, remain short of strikers, see him get Blackburn into the uefa ahead of us and now help Liverpool move ever further away from us.

And amazingly enough he didn't single-handedly destroy the morale and team spirit at Blackburn, and he won't at Liverpool either, just as he didn't at Coventry, Norwhich and Wales, you know all those teams not managed by a lying, selfish, egotistical cockend like Souness, helped by the people who believed and backed him.

Plenty of toon spoke up for Bellamy, as did ex managers, and John Carver who famously had the fight with him was at his wedding not long back and always speaks well of him. But what did any of that matter when Souness said he was a cancer.

Why people think his being annoying and their not liking him, is in anyway relivent is beyond me. Anyone here think the likes of Keane, Cantona etc. are lovely friendly blokes who are nice to everyone, or more importantly did their manager and fans think what happens on the pitch counts and not give a shit about their personalities.

And the final myth the Bellamy haters held on to in defence of having been happy to see us lose him was that he wasn't actually that good, didn't score enough and the top clubs wouldn't touch him, well that theory has gone as well.

But he can't have signed for Liverpool, people insisted he wasn't good enough and that the top clubs wouldn't touch him meaning Blackburn was the best he could do!!!

Those fans who have always appreciated just how good he is knew he wouldn't be at Blackburn long if the release clause was proven to be true and it has.

The fact that we didn't get him back is just another depressing incident in a long line concerning Bellamy and NUFC. We lose essentially our best player (along with Given) for a piss poor transfer fee, remain short of strikers, see him get Blackburn into the uefa ahead of us and now help Liverpool move ever further away from us.

And amazingly enough he didn't single-handedly destroy the morale and team spirit at Blackburn, and he won't at Liverpool either, just as he didn't at Coventry, Norwhich and Wales, you know all those teams not managed by a lying, selfish, egotistical cockend like Souness, helped by the people who believed and backed him.

Plenty of toon spoke up for Bellamy, as did ex managers, and John Carver who famously had the fight with him was at his wedding not long back and always speaks well of him. But what did any of that matter when Souness said he was a cancer.

Why people think his being annoying and their not liking him, is in anyway relivent is beyond me. Anyone here think the likes of Keane, Cantona etc. are lovely friendly blokes who are nice to everyone, or more importantly did their manager and fans think what happens on the pitch counts and not give a shit about their personalities.

And the final myth the Bellamy haters held on to in defence of having been happy to see us lose him was that he wasn't actually that good, didn't score enough and the top clubs wouldn't touch him, well that theory has gone as well.

152498[/snapback]

Except we're not competing with Liverpool any more, but the likes of Blackburn, so....essentially it's a good thing. :(

152498[/snapback]

Exactly. I could understand the people who said there was no way back for Bellamy after what happened (even though I didn't agree), but the amount of people who agreed with Souness when he said that Bellamy was never really good enough as a footballer was embarrassing. I'll hate to see Bellamy do well for Liverpool next season, but you've got to hand it to him - he was laughed at for ending up at Blackburn, he remained silent when Souness kept dishing out bullshit about the fantastic team spirit, he worked hard and he got his dream move in the end. Fair play and good luck to him. From our point of view you'd hope that he goes back to missing large parts of next season through injury...

152498[/snapback]

:(

Calm down dear, it's only a Welsh dwarf!

Re: the interview posted above, the way he stresses how much of a Liverpool fan he is is interesting...when he was playing for us he would often say that we were the biggest club he'd ever want to play for... :(

152498[/snapback]

:(

Calm down dear, it's only a Welsh dwarf!

152531[/snapback]

Us dwarves have to stick together!!! Just like you'd stick up for any fat ginger players out there :P

Do I wish it hadn't happened and he was still our player? Of course. Do I think we should have made the effort to bring him back? No.

152196[/snapback]

Sorry, but that is a stance I cannot understand at all. Bellamy was an annoying little shit who wasn't totally innocent in the whole saga that led to his departure, but also proved to be total value for money. You won't get players of his calibre often for 6m. So Newcastle's loss has been Liverpool's gain. How people can be happy with this is beyond me.

152483[/snapback]

I'm anything but happy mate, but the way I see it is that the club made a decision last summer to sell Bellamy on account of what had happened a few months before hand. For them to reverse that decision just 12 months down the line would have been, IMO, quite damaging to the reputation of the club and those that run it.

As I said, the whole episode should never have happened but sadly, it did!

I'm dreading us facing Bellamy, I've always been in the Pro-Bellamy camp, but he's always been firmly in the "i'd hate the fucker if he played for anyone else" category, He'll be such a wind up merchant, I can see the shit he gave the Wolves fans being aimed at us at some point.

No surprise at all. Where have the 'no big clubs were interested in him because he's shit' lot disappeared to? They seemed pretty vocal when he signed for Blackburn.

152750[/snapback]

Nobody said he was shit. But the fact is that no big clubs were interested in him at the time because there was a perception that he was a troublemaker and more hassle than he's worth. He's kept his nose clean and played very well since he went to Blackburn, but that doesn't change what his behaviour was like when he was at Newcastle.

I'm just so not-arsed about Bellamy and what club he signs for and think people need to fucking get over it tbh.

No surprise at all. Where have the 'no big clubs were interested in him because he's shit' lot disappeared to? They seemed pretty vocal when he signed for Blackburn.

152750[/snapback]

Nobody said he was shit. But the fact is that no big clubs were interested in him at the time because there was a perception that he was a troublemaker and more hassle than he's worth. He's kept his nose clean and played very well since he went to Blackburn, but that doesn't change what his behaviour was like when he was at Newcastle.

I'm just so not-arsed about Bellamy and what club he signs for and think people need to fucking get over it tbh.

152781[/snapback]

I still don't accept the Souness line that Bellamy was a massive troublemaker. My distinct recollection was that people on here not only felt we were better off shot of him because he was trouble but also because he wasn't that good anyway.

He's gone, I accept that. However, given the striking crisis we're facing, it does make you think.

152834[/snapback]

I've always thought the signs were there that he was the cause of bother but I guiltyly tended to apply the HTL "Only on the pitch" menatality. I agreed with those who suggested he was symptomatic of Bobby "losing it". I honestly thought a "tougher" approach ie Souness would sort him out but he lost any support he would have had from me by incredible idiocy leading up to departure. I freely admit to being surprised how much he has calmed down since but I'm looking forward to seeing how he reacts to Benitez' rotation policy.

I think people who obviously still back him totally have to look at how the question of going for him after Souness left was never suggested in any quarter (at the club) - it would have been easy for Freddie or Roeder to say "Souness had a problem with Craig" etc, etc and try and re-sign him. I honestly think that shows that at least some of the "propaganda" had a basis in truth.

I'm more gutted that Liverpool have signed a class striker, than it being Bellamy.

Having said that, it does free Defoe up.

152832[/snapback]

The thing is that Defoe will cost double the money that Bellamy's fee was. I don't think that Bellamy was totally innocent it the trouble that did lead to his departure, but I can't see how resigning him would have done Newcastle's reputation much harm. Bellamy acted like a spoilt child (something he probably is), but in the end was worth every penny in transfer fees and wages. That is something that cannot be said about a lot of players. Newcastle will go in the second season with a problem to replace him and as long as Bellamy will make a lot of people make eat their words (or Alan Hansen's home made humble pie), he will be a topic for Newcastle United, either if people like it or not.

I've always thought the signs were there that he was the cause of bother but I guiltyly tended to apply the HTL "Only on the pitch" menatality. I agreed with those who suggested he was symptomatic of Bobby "losing it". I honestly thought a "tougher" approach ie Souness would sort him out but he lost any support he would have had from me by incredible idiocy leading up to departure. I freely admit to being surprised how much he has calmed down since but I'm looking forward to seeing how he reacts to Benitez' rotation policy.

I think people who obviously still back him totally have to look at how the question of going for him after Souness left was never suggested in any quarter (at the club) - it would have been easy for Freddie or Roeder to say "Souness had a problem with Craig" etc, etc and try and re-sign him. I honestly think that shows that at least some  of the "propaganda" had a basis in truth.

152849[/snapback]

That is exactly word for word what I think, but couldnt be bothered to write.