Milner staying

Paul

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~841965,00.html

James Back At St. James'

By Ian Willis

JAMES Milner will be back on Tyneside next week for pre-season training ready to stake his claim for a place in Glenn Roeder's team.

Milner, who signed for the Magpies in the summer of 2004, spent the bulk of last season on loan at Aston Villa after moving to the Midlands on transfer deadline day.

Villa boss David O'Leary has been keen to make the move permanent, with some reports suggesting signing Milner on a permanent deal was the Irishman's main priority this summer.

But the former Leeds starlet has been in contact with Roeder, and the manager told him he would be happy to have him fighting for a place at St. James' Park next season.

And with Michael Owen out injured, Alan Shearer having retired and Michael Chopra now with Cardiff City, Milner's ability to operate as a striker will give Roeder a boost.

Roeder said: "I have already met James, and I have told him I am very happy for him to stay here.

"He told me that he knows nobody can be guaranteed first team football, but all he wanted was a fair opportunity and he is happy at what I told him.

"He has been away at Aston Villa for a year, and let's hope that even though he is still only 20 he comes back better for the experience and a lot more mature and assertive."

Good decision imo.

Edited by Paul