McClaren wants Shearer as England assistant

Jimbo

http://wc2006.telegraph.co.uk./Document.as...DE-EB7CC40393D5

McClaren asks Shearer to be England assistant

By : Henry Winter in Baden Baden, 22/06/2006

Alan Shearer, the former England captain, has been asked by England's next

manager, Steve McClaren, to be his assistant.

Shearer is currently weighing up his options in coaching and the media after retiring as a Newcastle United player.

Football Association big-wigs have long been following the career of the patriotic Geordie, who gave the nation such comfort and joy during England's run to the semi-finals of Euro 96.

Senior figures within the FA even touted Shearer as a future manager of the national team when they appointed Sven-Goran Eriksson five years ago.

Although negotiations have still to be concluded, Shearer's appointment is a canny move by McClaren as the ex-England No 9 brings some credibility to the new regime. Few England fans wanted McClaren as Eriksson's successor but the lion-hearted Shearer will be a popular choice.

Sceptical of McClaren's credentials, many supporters would probably prefer Shearer as No 1 with McClaren, who is respected for his coaching, remaining

as No 2. The former Middlesbrough manager currently fills the assistant job

under Eriksson.

As he is proving in his current incarnation as a studio pundit, Shearer brims with forthright opinions on the way football should be played. His record as one of England's finest centre-forwards will ensure immediate respect within the dressing-room. Shearer's innate commitment will certainly bring some passion to the dug-out absent during the Eriksson era.

Eriksson last night stressed his own commitment to the current England captain, David Beckham, but added that he would drop Beckham if he deemed it tactically pertinent. "I am not married to David Beckham, even if you think I am," said Eriksson. "I'm not even engaged to him."

Beckham created England's first three goals in their opening two World

Cup Group B games, but was criticized for a less than compelling performance against Sweden in Cologne on Tuesday.

The Real Madrid man will lead England out against Ecuador in Sunday's second-round game in Stuttgart to be played in anticipated 30C heat. "Most people think he (Beckham) should be in the team," said Eriksson. "I think so."

Eriksson dismissed talk of Beckham being "untouchable", and is irritated by the debate. "Why all this talk?" he countered. "I don't think it is interesting. I've done it (drop him) for sure. He's the captain but he is treated the same as all the other players - at the dinner table, on the bus, tactically, in training, in a match. He doesn't have any favours just because he's the captain."

Alan Shearer claims he has not been contacted by anybody from The Football Association despite intense speculation that he will be offered a coaching post under Steve McClaren's new regime.

The former Newcastle United striker, who retired at the end of the season, is bidding to win his remaining coaching badges with a view to getting into management at some stage in the future.

The FA have insisted they will not comment on the situation until after the World Cup finals in Germany but Shearer, typically, has attempted to play down the reports.

Speaking during BBC's coverage of the finals, the 35-year-old claimed: "I have no idea where this has come from.

"It's news to me.

"Obviously it would interest me in the future.

"It's very flattering but I've not heard anything."

McClaren is also believed to be keen to recruit former England boss Terry Venables to his coaching team as he prepares for the Euro 2008 qualifiers.