Shepherd fury over FA insurance

Bombadil

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd says he is unhappy at claims the Football Association gave Wayne Rooney extra insurance over other England players.

Newcastle's Michael Owen faces a long lay-off with a knee injury and Shepherd says Rooney, who recently broke his foot, allegedly received better cover.

"From what I hear - and the source is good - a separate deal was done for Rooney," he told the Daily Express.

"If it's true the FA took out extra cover for Rooney then that is wrong."

Owen has barely played for Newcastle this year after suffering a broken foot on New Year's Eve, and now faces another long lay-off after falling awkwardly and damaging knee ligaments in England's 2-2 draw with Sweden.

Newcastle and the FA both had insurance policies to cover any injury that Owen might suffer when he was on England duty.

But Shepherd is unhappy at the thought that Rooney, who has only just returned to action after breaking his foot in April, may have been treated as a special case.

"We should be treated fairly, not discriminated against and this is discrimination of the highest order," he said.

"We have already alerted our lawyers and if we have to go to court, we will.

"We want fair play and equality. Michael is every bit as important to us and other clubs will feel the same."

Fat Fred is spot on on this one.

Guest CrimsonFault
If this is true and he does not make an issue of it, then he's not acting in the best interests of Newcastle. Or the rest of the clubs.

It's idiotic to suggest he keeps his mouth shut.

152541[/snapback]

But he doesn't have to go public and make a cock of himself. I wish he'd just keep his opinions behind closed doors.

If this is true and he does not make an issue of it, then he's not acting in the best interests of Newcastle. Or the rest of the clubs.

It's idiotic to suggest he keeps his mouth shut.

152541[/snapback]

I think Shephard has got a point with this one, but with the amount of times he's made a tit out of himself in the press I do wince everytime I see he's made another appearance.