A plea for witnesses.

catmag

Parents of a 12-year-old hit-and-run victim have branded the driver "scum". Suzanne and Neil Kirtley are doubly angry because, as a consequence, their eight-year-old daughter has ended up in hospital.

Dean Kirtley is recovering with a badly broken leg in Gateshead's Queen Elizabeth Hospital after he was mown down on Tuesday.

When sister Jessica, eight, visited him yesterday, she fainted, hit her head and is now in the bed next to him.

Dean was returning to school with friends at lunchtime on Tuesday when he was hit by a 4x4-type vehicle at the junction of Meresyde and Fewster Square, Leam Lane, Gateshead.

As the Heworth Grange Comprehensive pupil lay in agony on the road, the driver fled without stopping.

His mother, of Lingey Lane, Heworth, was visiting shops at Fewster Square to buy lunch for herself and her mother Betty Collyer, both community care workers, when she saw someone lying in the road being cared for by paramedics.

Mrs Kirtley, 34, said: "I thought `Bless, some poor person has been knocked over', then went into the shop. I returned to my car when my mother rang to say the school had been on about Dean and I knew instantly it was him in the road.

"I jumped out of the car and ran over. He was lying there and his leg was in a terrible state. He was conscious and the first thing he said was that he was sorry because he knew I didn't like him coming out of school at lunchtime and he was supposed to stay for dinner.

"A piece of bone had come out of his leg and was lying in the road and he was concerned that they took it to hospital with him."

Newcastle United supporter Dean will have to spent at least a week in hospital and doctors say it could be up to six weeks before they know if the bones have successfully fused.

Mrs Kirtley is furious that the driver never stopped: "If he had stopped, fine - accidents happen. But to leave a child lying in the road, that's not nice."

Mr Kirtley, a hod-carrier, said: "Whoever did this is scum."

I was this boy's anaesthetic nurse when he came to theatre following his accident on Tuesday. The description of his injuries in this article doesn't even come close to describing what had happened to him, and there's very little that turns my stomach at work but his injuries did. I was speaking to his mam before we put him under anaesthetic and she told us how the driver of this 4x4 sped off after he/she realised what they'd done. If ANYONE saw anything or has heard anyone say that they saw this happen then please, please let somebody know because it was a sickening accident and the person that drove off and left that bairn in the road needs to be found. Thanks guys.

Anyone who can mow a kid down like that and then drive off is absolute fucking scum!

Hope they find and nail the bastard!

Nasty business.  You'd have to be a bit of an arsehole to knock a schoolkid down, check the damage, and then take off.

152406[/snapback]

Anyone who drives a 4x4 is inherently an arsehole, but this man is downright scum.

Nasty business.  You'd have to be a bit of an arsehole to knock a schoolkid down, check the damage, and then take off.

152406[/snapback]

Anyone who drives a 4x4 is inherently an arsehole, but this man is downright scum.

152439[/snapback]

Might have been a woman - we don't know.

152406[/snapback]

152439[/snapback]

Might have been a woman - we don't know.

152441[/snapback]

Very true, I was responding to Gemmill's post and don't usually associate the insult 'arsehole' with women.

But as I say, he or she is scum regardless of gender.

Anyone who drives a 4x4 is inherently an arsehole

I'll be sure to tell my other half that shes an arsehole based on the car she drives... :P

152477[/snapback]

Tell her she's going out with one an'all!

:(

152406[/snapback]

152439[/snapback]

Anyone who thinks all 4x4 drivers are arseholes are generally arseholes :(

But yes, the person who done this should be made to suffer. While we accept accidents happen, there is never any excuse at all not to stop. Not to stop and help a young child is worse still.

I'll be sure to tell my other half that shes an arsehole based on the car she drives... :icon_lol:

152477[/snapback]

Tell her she's going out with one an'all!

:(

152485[/snapback]

Fuck you fatboy :rolleyes:

:P

I'll be sure to tell my other half that shes an arsehole based on the car she drives... :(

152477[/snapback]

If you can give me a valid reason why anyone needs one of those petrol-guzzling child killers unless they have to drive up a mountain then I will retract my statement.

Those plastic 4x4s are a menace. An actual 4x4 will off-road, but half of these piss-poor Korean efforts wouldn't get up Dean Street.

On a similar note, why do parents seem to think they need a people mover after having one child? Trying to get out of my estate past the various double parked ignorants dropping off their precious ones, oblivious to the fact other people occasionally use that road is a nightmare, and will sooner or later see someone knocked down.

Those plastic 4x4s are a menace. An actual 4x4 will off-road, but half of these piss-poor Korean efforts wouldn't get up Dean Street.

On a similar note, why do parents seem to think they need a people mover after having one child? Trying to get out of my estate past the various double parked ignorants dropping off their precious ones, oblivious to the fact other people occasionally use that road is a nightmare, and will sooner or later see someone knocked down.

152587[/snapback]

James Nesbitt is prime example of this. In the latest yellow pages advert he buys a Corvette, his bird tells him she's pregnant so he buys a people carrier! Twat!

I'll be sure to tell my other half that shes an arsehole based on the car she drives... :(

152477[/snapback]

If you can give me a valid reason why anyone needs one of those petrol-guzzling child killers unless they have to drive up a mountain then I will retract my statement.

152582[/snapback]

:P Riiight. So if the issue is because people have died as a result of them then surely the same applies to the majority of vehicles? Sorry like, but I dont care if you get hit at 40mph hour by a 4x4 or at 40mph by a mini, Its gonna hurt. As for the fuel consumption, you get less mpg with a high performance car than one of those. My current car (not 4x4) gets about 36mpg on diesel. Thats not really that much better than some 4x4's but is alot better than some high performance cars.

Shocking what this driver did, but I really dont see thats its any worse because he or she was driving a 4x4 and not a standard car.

I'll be sure to tell my other half that shes an arsehole based on the car she drives... :P

152477[/snapback]

152582[/snapback]

:icon_lol: Riiight. So if the issue is because people have died as a result of them then surely the same applies to the majority of vehicles? Sorry like, but I dont care if you get hit at 40mph hour by a 4x4 or at 40mph by a mini, Its gonna hurt. As for the fuel consumption, you get less mpg with a high performance car than one of those. My current car (not 4x4) gets about 36mpg on diesel. Thats not really that much better than some 4x4's but is alot better than some high performance cars.

Shocking what this driver did, but I really dont see thats its any worse because he or she was driving a 4x4 and not a standard car.

152606[/snapback]

I think basically though, he or she was driving a 4x4 in Leam Lane, not exactly off road like. :(

152477[/snapback]

152582[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Riiight. So if the issue is because people have died as a result of them then surely the same applies to the majority of vehicles? Sorry like, but I dont care if you get hit at 40mph hour by a 4x4 or at 40mph by a mini, Its gonna hurt. As for the fuel consumption, you get less mpg with a high performance car than one of those. My current car (not 4x4) gets about 36mpg on diesel. Thats not really that much better than some 4x4's but is alot better than some high performance cars.

152606[/snapback]

I think basically though, he or she was driving a 4x4 in Leam Lane, not exactly off road like. :(

152617[/snapback]

Have you driven through the Leam lately !!! :icon_lol:

152477[/snapback]

152582[/snapback]

:P Riiight. So if the issue is because people have died as a result of them then surely the same applies to the majority of vehicles? Sorry like, but I dont care if you get hit at 40mph hour by a 4x4 or at 40mph by a mini, Its gonna hurt. As for the fuel consumption, you get less mpg with a high performance car than one of those. My current car (not 4x4) gets about 36mpg on diesel. Thats not really that much better than some 4x4's but is alot better than some high performance cars.

152606[/snapback]

You're right, it will hurt if you get hit no matter what the make of vehicle. But the size of a 4x4 means the impact is more directed towards your head and chest there's an increased risk of lethal injuries. Plus a lot of 4x4s have those bullbars which make things even worse.

I agree like, theres no need for a 4X4 unless you are a farmer or live in the sticks.

A normal run around car like a clio, fiesta, punto etc. doesnt stand a chance in a collision with a 4x4 and working in casualty i saw a lot of nasty sights where 4x4s were involved.

whats worse is that most people who drive them are 30something housewives with young kids who spend all day at tesco or sainsburys in there best outfits and sunglasses. i live in a street with about 6 of them!

I agree like, theres no need for a 4X4 unless you are a farmer or live in the sticks.

A normal run around car like a clio, fiesta, punto etc. doesnt stand a chance in a collision with a 4x4 and working in casualty i saw a lot of nasty sights where 4x4s were involved.

whats worse is that most people who drive them are 30something housewives with young kids who spend all day at tesco or sainsburys in there best outfits and sunglasses. i live in a street with about 6 of them!

152623[/snapback]

My sister is one of those 30 somethings with a young kid and another one on the way, hence the 4 by 4 she bought to get everyting in and for it's other space and safety features .....she does not however wear the best clothes and spend all day in Sainsbury's....she started out as an Ambulance Technician, then became a Paramedic, then a Station Officer and now runs the Control room....thanks :(

EDIT : my other halfs son knows the kid that was knocked down as he goes to the same school, I also know the parents personally so my sympathy is with them and the family regardless of what kind of car it was !

Edited by Radgina

Sorry like, Im gonna stick up fo rthe 4x4 driver. And not only because Im planning one for my next :(

For one, Bullbars are meant to be illegal. But I agree people shouldnt have them. Another, if I was driving through leam lane I'd want a cow plough on the front never mind anything else :P

But I dont but this whole stereo typical thing that the newspapers and media kick up.

I drive alot with work. Both Rural and Urban. I see a great mixture of bad drivers and I cant really say there is any real pattern. Cars, 4x4's men, women, young old. All of them have their tossers. What I will say, is I reckon the worst offenders are those who do 40mph in the inside lane and those who tailgate.

If someone wants to drive one to take their kids to school then its their cash and is their choice. However, I agree that loads of drivers are totally inconsiderate when parking around schools. I live next to one and see it all the time. But again, its a mixture of 4x4's, people carriers, normal cars or whatever.

I just dont like the whole generalisation thing.

If it was up to me (and God help the country if it ever was) I'd increase the speed limit on motorways to 80mph, increase the driving age to 21, and decrease the limit in resedential area's to 20. Also ban motorway use for vehicles under 70mph between 6AM and 8PM.

Aye .... :icon_lol:

I'm test driving a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior tomorrow as it happens.

FUCKING LOVE 4X4's ME LIKE!!!!

152632[/snapback]

I used to drive the L200 Animal Twin Cab. Cracking machine with loads of space. Now that drunk the fuel though I chipped the engine which helps. I had the cab on the back part as well which was handy as owt. Bit of a knacker to park like and had the turning cirle of a line of elephants :(