How much is Owen worth?

Ketsbaia's Mobile

Well isn't the price agreed with Real? It's just that Owen is waiting to see if the mancs and the scousers will come in for him?

12110[/snapback]

Michael Owen is 25. If he's not worth £20m then I'm Ruud Van Nistelrooy's jock strap. ;) At least he'd feel like we were really keen and he'd be a big star again.

Well isn't the price agreed with Real? It's just that Owen is waiting to see if the mancs and the scousers will come in for him?

12110[/snapback]

Michael Owen is 25. If he's not worth £20m then I'm Ruud Van Nistelrooy's jock strap. ;) At least he'd feel like we were really keen and he'd be a big star again.

12112[/snapback]

I'm assuming that by meeting Reals valuation that he sees we are keen.

IF the fee is £12 million and we have "agreed" it why go back and give them £8 million more. Keep that £8 million and give it to Owen, then he'd know how much we want him.

Also why would this £20 million come from? Bearing in mind Souness has already had that amount to spend already since the January window. It's not like he's sold the outgoing players for vast amounts. Fat Fred isn't going to be giving up his dividends.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

Buying Owen would be the best thing the club have done for a decade.

He is a no risk asset. If we don't replace Shearer with someone of Owen's class we don't deserve to be doing anything other than battling it out with Villa, Spurs and the Smoggies for intertoto places. ;)

Edited by Ketsbaia's Mobile

Would £12m have bought him 2 years ago?

Why are we not forcing the issue with a bigger bid?

12102[/snapback]

Well, Real only paid £8m for him !

Owen is that rare thing, a proven goal scorer at every possible level of football who guarentees goals wherever he is. And since goals win matches it makes him very valuable indeed, so if we did bid £12m for him it would still be great business (should he decide to sign for us if none of the others want him!)

It is truly unbeleivable that a player of OWens proven record at all levels cannot get a place in the top 4 PL sides and is valued at HALF the value of Shaun Wright-Phillips and only twice that of Peter Crouch - its unbeleivable..........................................

Owen is that rare thing, a proven goal scorer at every possible level of football who guarentees goals wherever he is. And since goals win matches it makes him very valuable indeed, so if we did bid £12m for him it would still be great business (should he decide to sign for us if none of the others want him!)

12153[/snapback]

Absolutely correct Papa

How often do you hear managers moan "all we need is a proven goal scorer"

Well here is one and we should pay him a bloody fortune to come

Maybe we are looking for the next Peter Crouch tho'.................

Edited by Rob W

Rooney has said that he asked Sir Alex if they'd be signing Owen...he was told no.

Yesterday, Benitez said he wasn't interested in Owen, saying he wants a centre-back, not a centre-forward.

We might end up with him by default! But we MUST bid now.

12258[/snapback]

Sorry mate, with all due respect.

Rooney said that? I know he's thick as pig s#!t but do you really think he is going to go public with a quote like that? Back this up with evidence and we might accept the statement.

Benitez has NOT said he wasn't interested in Owen, his actual quote was

"We have six strikers now," Benitez told Prem Plus.

"And I am thinking about a centre-back rather than a centre-forward. At the moment we only have Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher and they can't play every game."

Nowhere in that statement does he say he is not interested in Owen, all he has said is that his priority lies elsewhere. If, as expected, Baros moves on then there will be only 5 strikers (ONLY!!! :D ) and extra money will be available for an Owen bid. Whilst I would love to see Owen join us I really cannot see it happening although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. He will either stay at Real or rejoin Liverpool IMHO.

Also, I was under the impression that not only had we made an offer for Owen of £11m, but Real had accepted it in principle.

TBH there is so much crap flying around the 'net at the moment in relation to Owen it's hard to know what to believe any more. My only hope, as has been said many times in different threads on here, is that the management are not totally blinded by the efforts to sign Owen so much that they ignore the alternative options, which are decreasing by the hour.

• 2 weeks later...