Hundreds of England fans arrested

Kid Dynamite

England fans held by riot police 

Police in Stuttgart are dealing with the confrontation between fans

Riot police have been removing England supporters from Stuttgart's main square after chairs and bottles were thrown by small groups of rival fans.

Police have so far arrested 150 England fans who were being held together in a corner of the city's main square. That figure is expected to rise to 250.

The square was filled with thousands watching the Argentina vs Mexico match on the big screen.

England fans arrested are likely to be held in custody until Monday night.

A further 122 England supporters arrested in Stuttgart on Friday night are also expected to be held until after Sunday's game against Ecuador.

Police had surrounded fans in the square before gradually leading them away.

BBC News's Claire Heald said German fans were leaving the square following Germany's 2-0 win over Sweden but a small group had refused to move past a bar in which England supporters had gathered and riot police moved in.

English and German fans are singing songs at each other in a good-natured but rowdy atmosphere - but in hot conditions a lot of beer is being drunk

Missiles were thrown during the initial confrontation and the police, some on horseback, then created a barrier to keep the fans about 50m apart.

During the clash several English and German fans exchanged punches and one man in a Germany shirt was seen with his face covered in blood, the Press Association news agency reported.

Erwin Hetger, head of the state police, said: "We had no problems at all with the French, Swiss and Dutch fans that were having a great party here.

"It all changed when the English fans arrived. The atmosphere changed. The incidents began late yesterday evening."

Officers would be more visible on the streets on Sunday ahead of England's second round clash with Ecuador, and would take "offensive action" against anybody involved in aggressive behaviour, he added.

He praised the help he had received from the British police who are in Germany for the tournament.

Earlier, police warned that any fans arrested could miss England's match against Ecuador on Sunday.

But they have stressed that the majority of the expected 60,000 England fans set to watch the game in Stuttgart had not caused authorities any problems.

On Friday, police had tried to move a group of drunken fans in the main square who were singing songs insulting to Germans and other nationalities.

But the group refused to disperse and some threw bottles and chairs, as well as singing racist chants. One man has been charged with assault, after allegedly throwing a chair which hit a Tunisia fan.

Arrested fans could miss the England match on Sunday

The arrests on Friday night and in the early hours of Saturday more than doubled the number of UK citizens held so far during the World Cup.

Total arrests of all nationalities during the tournament stands at more than 4,000.

England are due to play Ecuador in Stuttgart on Sunday at 1600 BST

It was bound to happen sooner or later, I wouldnt be surprised if the German police were a bit over zealous though. The Chief of Police has probably been waiting to say the bit in bold for weeks :(

Shame the rioting between other countries has been overlooked, especially German fans against Poland a week ago, hundreds arrested and nowt said. Kraut Twats!

Edited by J69

F***ing nonsense. If you'd seen the news down here you would have known that only Jormans were blamed for trying to stirr trouble at Cologne and that nothing realy serious has kicked off at Stuttgart so far. The trouble against Poland has been the only issue so far, but very much less than everybody was expecting between Jorman and Polish tossers...

I'll give you photo evidence of what is happening at Stuttgart tomorrow.

An England fan playing the "It only happens to us :(:P:icon_lol::rolleyes:"  card

Quelle surprié

153060[/snapback]

And you being bitter about England, what a surprise.

Read Isegrim's post above you, he knows what he's talking about, and theres nothing wrong in an England fan stating that we've just got a big mention there when the worst trouble so far (such as it was) didn't involve the English.

Seems like the Gremans have been excellent in dealing with trouble, mostly by preventing it before it starts as well as dealing with quickly and efficiently (who'd have guessed!) it when it has kicked off.

I've read the post and I know what I'm talking about.  Carry on son

153126[/snapback]

get over it Sima FFS, you're becoming a caricature of yourself.

I've read the post and I know what I'm talking about.  Carry on son

153126[/snapback]

It would appear you haven't and you as ever don't know what you're talking about, but keep that great big chip on your shoulder evident for us all to laugh at.

haha, It's parody you berk.

153140[/snapback]

:(

not it's not you fucking muppet.

Parody, cartoon, caricature are all perfectly acceptable in this phrase.

I just came back and everything has been brilliant (well, apart from England's performance...). I'll post photos tomorrow as I do unfortunately have the cable for my camera at my office.