Al's scouting mission

Scottish Mag

Newcastle will send Alan Shearer on a scouting mission tonight - for a definitive verdict on striking target Dirk Kuyt.

Shearer will be in Nuremberg at the request of Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd to watch Kuyt in Holland's World Cup clash with Portugal.

The Feyenoord hitman is set to play in his favoured central striking role after struggling to impress out wide in the tournament so far.

And that will give Shearer an opportunity to pass proper judgement on Kuyt's ability to replace him in the United front-line.

Although the 25-year-old has been linked with several Premiership clubs, Newcastle believe they face little serious competition for a player who has scored 20-plus goals a season for the past four years.

Shepherd and United boss Glenn Roeder have also discussed Tottenham's Jermain Defoe as they bid to plug the gap left by the injured Michael Owen.

But the Sunday Sun understands Roeder is cool on Defoe, and budget moves for Wigan's Henri Camara and Middlesbrough's Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink are other options.

I said Roberts would be a good buy back when he played for West Brom ffs.  :P

153094[/snapback]

is that all?? If we're getting into this argument, I said it when he played for Torquay on loan from Bristol :icon_lol::(

wonder what bigAl thought of Kuyt's performance then? :( Hard to judge under those circumstances i know but i hope Al doesnt give him the thumbs up... personally i didnt like what i saw, he's a whinging diver who didnt take the one or two really good chances he had.

wonder what bigAl thought of Kuyt's performance then?  :(  Hard to judge under those circumstances i know but i hope Al doesnt give him the thumbs up... personally i didnt like what i saw, he's a whinging diver who didnt take the one or two really good chances he had.

153297[/snapback]

I actually did like his style of play, except the diving antics. He always seems to be a bit Sheareresque to me: strong in the air, being able to keep the ball under pressure, having a good ability to spot good positioned team mates...

wonder what bigAl thought of Kuyt's performance then?  :blink:  Hard to judge under those circumstances i know but i hope Al doesnt give him the thumbs up... personally i didnt like what i saw, he's a whinging diver who didnt take the one or two really good chances he had.

153297[/snapback]

I actually did like his style of play, except the diving antics. He always seems to be a bit Sheareresque to me: strong in the air, being able to keep the ball under pressure, having a good ability to spot good positioned team mates...

153314[/snapback]

he did put himself about and yes, i could quite easily see him playing in the prem, but i dunno...i wanted better for us :( I think it was his attitude i didnt like more than anything. Im comparing him to some of the really talented players i've been watching this last 2 weeks i suppose :rolleyes:

wonder what bigAl thought of Kuyt's performance then?  :blink:  Hard to judge under those circumstances i know but i hope Al doesnt give him the thumbs up... personally i didnt like what i saw, he's a whinging diver who didnt take the one or two really good chances he had.

153297[/snapback]

153314[/snapback]

he did put himself about and yes, i could quite easily see him playing in the prem, but i dunno...i wanted better for us :( I think it was his attitude i didnt like more than anything. Im comparing him to some of the really talented players i've been watching this last 2 weeks i suppose :rolleyes:

153318[/snapback]

Which striker really has really impressed you in recent two weeks? I thought most striker's performances were pretty shocking so far...

153297[/snapback]

153314[/snapback]

153318[/snapback]

Which striker really has really impressed you in recent two weeks? I thought most striker's performances were pretty shocking so far...

153325[/snapback]

i liked the look of Pauleta tonight (till he had to be subbed) Quality!

Riquelme and Messi have impressed too...i suppose these type of players are so good technically, they control the ball so quickly, our players seem to have to take one too many touches before they can take a pop at goal, then its too late!

153297[/snapback]

153314[/snapback]

153318[/snapback]

153325[/snapback]

i liked the look of Pauleta tonight (till he had to be subbed) Quality!

Riquelme and Messi have impressed too...i suppose these type of players are so good technically, they control the ball so quickly, our players seem to have to take one too many touches before they can take a pop at goal, then its too late!

153330[/snapback]

I don't think Pauleta has really been that impressive so far, even as he had a decent first half today. Messi of course has talent, but the chances of him being of interest for Newcastle are as high as me getting voted English Prime Minister. Riquelme is a midfielder anyway...

153297[/snapback]

He's been absolutely immense for Feyenoord and i still stand by my comment's and say he'd be a cracking signing

153297[/snapback]

He's been absolutely immense for Feyenoord and i still stand by my comment's and say he'd be a cracking signing

153348[/snapback]

Judge him on one of two games man! Stop being logical and looking at his club form. Jason Roberts is a much better player!

:rolleyes:

153297[/snapback]

153348[/snapback]

Judge him on one of two games man! Stop being logical and looking at his club form. Jason Roberts is a much better player!

:rolleyes:

153376[/snapback]

ha ha :(

Be as sarky as you please, yes, Kuyt could come to Newcastle and be a success....not saying that couldnt happen. But take the piss all you like, i like Roberts, we know what he can do, he's hungry, fit and not over priced.

Edited by Toonraider

I always wonder how people have the time to watch football from various European leagues and become mini-experts on player X, Y and Z. When do they ever find a moment to do important things like posting on here? :blink: