Mighty Aussies vs Italy

Steve

An Italian viewpoint on yesterdays game:

Claims that Italy robbed Australia of a place in the last eight of the World Cup are rife across the globe today. But, as Antonio Labbate argues, the unappreciated Azzurri are the true victims

There was nothing scandalous about Italy’s victory over Australia in the last 16 of the World Cup on Monday. At the end of 90 minutes, the best team on both paper and the pitch had qualified for the quarter-finals with a gutsy display that deserved recognition. Instead, the heroes of Kaiserslautern are insulted, labelled as thieves, asked to feel shame instead of joy. Strewth, what do the Azzurri have to do to gain any credit in this game?

Italy robbed nobody at the Fritz-Walter-Stadion. If anything, Marcello Lippi’s boys were the true victims in a game which turned with the wrongful dismissal of Marco Materazzi. The Inter stopper is no angel, his reputation underlines that fact, yet there was nothing devilish about his challenge on Marco Bresciano. It was mistimed, not cynical, not dangerous and definitely not worthy of an early bath.

Up until that point, it was Italy who were threatening to ripple the net with more purposeful attacking plays. The Luca Toni of three months ago would have comfortably fired his side into a commanding position had he shown a little more composure in front of goal. While Aussie claims that they had more of the ball are true, they did little with it – both before and after the Materazzi injustice.

The Socceroos failed to take advantage of the extra man, perhaps thinking that they had some sort of divine right to dump the three-time world champions out of Germany 2006. What they realise now is that it is going to take some effort to defeat this Italy side, one which is unbeaten in over 20 games. There was simply no way that Lippi’s troops, full of character and fighting spirit, were going to go home as second round casualties for the second World Cup running.

Of course, the main gripe from the men from Down Under comes in relation to the debatable penalty decision. It admittedly wasn’t clear cut, contentious, harsh, but these things happen in football as they do in cricket when it comes to LBW decisions. And you definitely don’t need Hawkeye technology to see Lucas Neill providing Fabio Grosso with a barrier in which to run into. A snick-o-meter may have perhaps been useful to assess whether any contact was actually made, but there was no doubt that Neill was guilty of a dropped catch just before tea.

The disappointment in some of the post-match comments from the gutsy Australians was understandable, but others were nothing short of scandalous. Scott Chipperfield had the audacity to lament that referees seem to favour the footballing superpowers. "They look after the big nations," he said. "They want the big countries through to the semis and finals. It's always the way."

As if the Materazzi red card doesn’t provide enough evidence to ridicule that claim, perhaps Chipperfield should ask his Coach, Guus Hiddink, about what happened between Italy and South Korea four years ago when a certain Byron Moreno was blowing the whistle. Now that was a game in which a team [italy, that is] was robbed, yesterday’s result was simply fair dinkum.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest I think it's the disdain for the arrogance of Aussie sportsmen and fans...

153891[/snapback]

If you could objectively compare them to yourselves you might feel differently about that.

I was supporting the Aussies and the Yanks, the nature of the Aussies' exit is the last in a series of incidents that has really turned me off the Fifa World Cup.

To be fair, the Aussies have shown no bollocks going forward in any of their matches, and didn't really deserve to go through.

I hope the Argentinians take it now.

to be honest I think it's the disdain for the arrogance of Aussie sportsmen and fans...

153891[/snapback]

If you could objectively compare them to yourselves you might feel differently about that.

I was supporting the Aussies and the Yanks, the nature of the Aussies' exit is the last in a series of incidents that has really turned me off the Fifa World Cup.

To be fair, the Aussies have shown no bollocks going forward in any of their matches, and didn't really deserve to go through.

I hope the Argentinians take it now.

153897[/snapback]

Filthy FILTHY Irishman!

Download the Guardian daily podcast and listen to Barry Glendenning. From now on, I imagine him as you. :blink:

Is this the one with James Richardson? Am I supposed to listen to the whole of this leftist-waffle, Commie Pinkerton? No doubt pouring subliminal messages to read mind-warping :blink: literature :rolleyes: into my honest and morally upstanding face.

Seriously, I like the English team, but I think Sven is woeful, but even by his standards you've been shite this tournament.

You do love yourselves though...

I don't doubt that many English fans and commentators rate England far higher than they should be, but I've yet to meet a nation so full of themselves with so little reason.

I'll think you'll find the over-riding feeling from England is that our side is underperforming and could do so much better.

I don't think this is egotism or arrogance, but a simple self belief.

I don't know, maybe I just have a bee in my bonnet about the Aussies.. but they're bad losers and awful winners

Don't see how you can criticise Australian mentality when I'm willing to wager that a scapegoat will be found when England go out of the WC

Don't see how you can criticise Australian mentality when I'm willing to wager that a scapegoat will be found when England go out of the WC

153998[/snapback]

Don't see how you can criticise English mentality when I'm willing to wager that a scapegoat will be found when Scotland go...oh.

153998[/snapback]

Don't see how you can criticise English mentality when I'm willing to wager that a scapegoat will be found when Scotland go...oh.

154004[/snapback]

Poor, even for you.

153998[/snapback]

because I won't be looking for a scapegoat, so I can criticise Australian mentality. The Media can do what ever the fuck they like.

the only "scapegoat" is the coaching staff, if you look at the players available, we should have a very good side which plays football pleasing to the eye.

In my opinion we've world Class players at left back, Center back, center mid and striker. We've good players in all the other positions. If a manager cannot shape a top class side from that then he's in the wrong game.

We've a team good enough to get to the Semis of the World Cup, and with a bit of luck or brilliance from individuals we've a team that can beat any team in the world.

153998[/snapback]

154004[/snapback]

Poor, even for you.

154006[/snapback]

:blink: Thanks. I think.

If it makes any difference, I agree with the ott England mentality being cringeworthy. However, the Aussies are fair game... :rolleyes:

I've yet to meet a nation so full of themselves with so little reason.

153997[/snapback]

Yoooooo ESS AY!

Yoooooo ESS AY!

153999[/snapback]

He said without reason. :blink:

I've yet to meet a nation so full of themselves with so little reason.

153997[/snapback]

Being a Newcastle supporter is ideal practice for following England:

Never won anything for nearly 40 years.

Thinking we're a lot better than we really are.

Disappointment lurking round every corner.

Cruel fate twisting the knife at every opportunity.

etc.

important players always crocked,

few asshole fans ruining it for the rest of us

have the potential to play awe inspriing football under good management

play dull unattractive football under uninventive managers

screwed over Bobby Robson

Guest alex

Me and my mates often comment about the similarities between supporting England and Newcastle. I'd say Newcastle fans have lower expectations when it comes to actually winning things though.