Magpies sign-up Jimmy

DavB93

For heavens sake he's 34 and completely past it. I mean, we used to criticize shearer in the last two season, mainly because he lost pace and stamina due to age. Just wait till this man get on the pitch.

Hope to hell its not true!!!!

Yep, I agree. Not a bad signing. He's always had that touch of quality about him which has always made him look very dangerous; however its goals we want at the end of day so I'm fairly optimistic about him producing the goods. Obviously he won’t be the only striker we'll be signing, but we just have to be careful and spend wisely.

Darren Bent seems to be a natural finisher and I'd be chuffed to bits if he could produce those goals for us as he did for a smaller, weaker team in the Premiership last season.

Darren Bent seems to be a natural finisher and I'd be chuffed to bits if he could produce those goals for us as he did for a smaller, weaker team in the Premiership last season.

153786[/snapback]

The same logic could be applied to Ricketts, Phillips, and Cort. I'm with J69 on this one, he could very well turn out to be a one season wonder.

For heavens sake he's 34 and completely past it. I mean, we used to criticize shearer in the last two season, mainly because he lost pace and stamina due to age. Just wait till this man get on the pitch.

153785[/snapback]

For heaven's sake, we've got no money and a MASSIVE striker crisis. He scored 18 goals for them last season, he's free, and he's a stop gap. Use your brain and see the signing for what it is ffs.

Well, thats made me smile alright!! :rolleyes:

I've always liked Jimmy, I wanted him to come to us when he left Chelski tbh. He's still pretty useful though and will certainly help out whilst Owen recovers.

As for Benty...YESSS please :blink: But im not so sure about him 'being eager' to follow Jimmy to Tyneside. Lets hope so!!

Yup, Im happy with that one. He may be in his last few seasons in top football, but with our current striking options, and him proving last season he can still do it when called upon, I think its a good signing for what will only be his wages.

He will not play every game, but will certainly be a good option for us.

153785[/snapback]

Not much of an arguement I know but he easily beat Boumsong last year at SJP to score.

This is the type of signing we can only make with a £17 mill overdraft and he would do a good job for us imo.

We are going to have to make a few more sensible and safe signings to pad out the squad. It buys a bit of time and makes sense. Hardly overwhelming but we need to be signing freebies and raiding the bargain bin. Some loan deals would also be handy.

I honestly don't hope we blow £10m on Bent. The lad played for a couple of seasons as a regular in Div1/Championsip, just like Ashton did. We could sign three such players for that. I hate to see us act as a profit generator for other clubs- we just can't afford it.

he's a stopgap. nothing more. hopefully he'll only be on a one year deal.

we wouldn't be looking at him if owen was fit.

not a bad signing if we chalk up another two strikers of better quality and use jfh as a bench warmer.

What about Defoe and Nugent then, Defoe is proven in the division and not sure how much Nugent would be but worth a gamble.

153814[/snapback]

Spurs are in the business of asking silly money for first-teamers while signing up promising kids like the pied piper. I'd be loathe to assist their business plans by meeting a silly asking price for Defoe. £7-8m would be fair, but according to HRH The Oracle of North London, they want more than £10m for him, which I think is overboard.

I've seen nothing of Nugent except an odd fleeting glimpse on telly. Is this not just a name that people have heard so bandy about? Or is there someone who has seen a fair bit of Preston?