Gianluca Pessotto

geordieshandy

I know no Italian, but the headline is saying it was a suicide attempt!

153946[/snapback]

I don't buy it, these people are experienced divers.

Gazzetta dello Sport reports that he had been suffering from depression and had a clinical appointment only yesterday. He suffered head injuries and has undergone brain surgery to control bleeding. He is currently held in a pharmalogical coma (no idea what the english term would be). His parents have rejected the idea that he would try to kill himself (investigators have initially indicated a 'voluntary act').

How heavily implicated is he in the Italian Football Scandal?  Is it likely to be linked to that does one think?

154099[/snapback]

He's been a fairly big player for Juve over the past few years so I suppose he'll be implicated in some way if they should be found guilty.

He wasn't named by the authorities in the investigation- in fact no players were.

154141[/snapback]

No players names were made public although it's fairly well known there are alot of people they want to speak to about it.

Doctors treating Gianluca Pessotto in a Turin hospital have confirmed that he risked death during the night.

The Juventus team manager, who was rushed to hospital on Tuesday after falling from a window at the club’s headquarters, underwent another operation last night which almost cost him his life.

“Gianluca Pessotto risked dying last night, he was operated on at the limit,” stated professor Antonio Solini.

Police in Turin are investigating the possibility that Pessotto attempted suicide and his wife Reana has today confirmed that her husband has been struggling with depression.

Speaking with the La Repubblica newspaper, she denied claims that her husband was dealing with a serious illness connected with doping.

“There is no truth in that, absolutely none,” she is quoted as saying on repubblica.it. “I want you to tell everybody that. Gianluca was simply stressed, depressed.

“It is also false that there were any problems between us. We had a discussion because we had just organised three days away at Laigueglia with the kids, but he had to work.

“I wanted Gianluca to take a break and I thought it would do him some good. We had already organised everything.

“He hadn’t had a holiday for a year and a half. He was struggling to sleep and wasn’t convinced he had made the right decision in retiring from the game.”

Reana also revealed that her husband was perhaps doubting that he could live up to what was expected after he was recently appointed as the club’s new team manager.

“He feared that he wasn’t up to it,” she added. “But he accepted, although having offers to play on, because of the love he has for Juventus and he thought he had to.”

When asked why yesterday’s traumatic events occurred, she replied: “It was a combination of things: tiredness, melancholy, sadness for what is happening to the club. Gianluca did the worse thing possible.”

Meanwhile, Luciano Moggi, the man at the centre of the Calciopoli debate which could have serious consequences for Juve, has visited Pessotto in hospital.

“I’m here to pray for Gianluca,” he said. “Has this got to do with the scandal? I don’t know.”

Doctors have added that Pessotto’s condition remains serious but stable