Toon tipped off on Torres

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United could have had the £20m-rated Spanish super striker Fernando Torres for next to nothing - if they had followed up a tip-off three years ago.

United vice-president Malcolm Dix e-mailed United's chief scout Charlie Woods in January 2003 suggesting the club could do worse than have a look at young Torres.

Dix alerted the club after after hearing about Torres, who lines up against France tonight for a place in the World Cup quarter-finals, from former leading Tyneside sports commentator George Bayley.

Dix said today: "George Bayley had retired to his holiday home near Malaga and he was in touch with what was happening on the Spanish football front.

"He rang me to tell me about a 19-year-old striker called Torres who was playing for Athletico Madrid. "George, who has unfortunately passed on now, said at the time that this kid reminded him a lot of Len Shackleton - and everybody knows how good Shack was.

"I e-mailed Charlie Woods at the club but I don't know whether United watched him and did not fancy him or did not bother watching him.

"But I do know that United could probably have got Torres at a fraction of what he would cost now."

United have already been linked with Torres in recent weeks, but at £20m he is way out of their price range.

My information is that Torres has agreed to join one of Spain 's big two - either Real Madrid or Barcelona - but that the announcement will not be made until after the World Cup.

I think this is a crap story tbh. So what if Dix pointed out that there was a good kid in Spain, it means fuck all. It's not like that means he slipped through the net or anything. There are top kids coming through the ranks at all the top clubs all across Europe, just because someone once sent a letter about one in particular means bot all.

I think he wrote an email to NUFC but I can't confirm that.

154129[/snapback]

I think Fat fred replied saying: Torres, how the fuck can he be a geordie with a name like that, stop wasting my time!!!

But i can't confirm that either!

I saw Pavel Nedved play in Euro '96 and said to my dad: "This one is going to be a good player......"

154116[/snapback]

he wouldve been 24 - hardly a rough diamond

I saw Pavel Nedved play in Euro '96 and said to my dad: "This one is going to be a good player......"

154116[/snapback]

he wouldve been 24 - hardly a rough diamond

154143[/snapback]

Still unknown though.

Edited by Holden McGroin