Glenn: Luque to get big chance

smoggeordie

.cock

Glenn Roeder will challenge Albert Luque to lay down his claims for a regular place next season when the Magpies squad return for pre-season training today.

The Spaniard suffered a torrid time last term after his big-money switch from Deportivo La Coruna, picking up a serious hamstring injury in only his second game for the club then - by his own admission -struggling to adapt to the rigours of the Premiership when he finally shook off his injury.

But towards the end of the season Luque boosted his popularity with the United fans by breaking his goalscoring duck in the 4-1 thumping of Sunderland, and he also hit the net with a rasping volley against Celtic in Alan Shearer's Testimonial at St. James' Park.

And with Shearer having retired, Michael Chopra left for pastures new, and Michael Owen sidelined with a knee injury, Luque finds himself with a glorious opportunity to make his mark in the new campaign.

Roeder said: "Albert has admitted that last season didn't go exactly as he would have wanted it to.

"It was his first season at Newcastle and it started badly for him when he got a horrible hamstring injury.

"It was as close to a ruptured hamstring as you are ever going to see, and it undoubtedly set him back.

"He didn't really make a full recovery from it because I don't think he ever felt he had the power or confidence in his leg that he would have wanted.

"He wasn't really operating at full capability, but he will be once we have got a full pre-season into him.

"Pre-season is an important time for any player, but it's essentially vital when you've had a long time out like Albert has."

Roeder added: "With Alan retiring and Michael being extraordinarily unlucky with his injury - and unless we bring in a striker before July 15 - we know what we're looking at in terms of selection for our first Intertoto game.

"It looks like it will give Albert a big chance.

"It could be his first opportunity to win the shirt and I've always said that, once you've done that, it becomes yours to lose."

Edited by smoggeordie

Suppose we are in a win-win situation for the inter-toto game. Luque will get to show us what he can do, when fully fit, if not, we will have another striker.

Obviously Luque will break his leg the day before the match, we wont sign anyone, so we have Sir Shola upfront on his todd for the next 23323434 years

Guest CrimsonFault

I have now come to the conclusion that I am prepared to see Luque given a chance, however, if we did sell him, I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

he might do well alongside someone like defoe.

what he does need is an injury free season and a run of a few games.

that way we'll know for sure whether he'd dead wood or not.