Portsmouth seal deal for Johnson

khay

Portsmouth have signed Chelsea defender Glen Johnson on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old right-back joined Chelsea from West Ham for £6m in July 2003, but has since fallen down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

Johnson said he wanted first-team football to boost his chances of building on his four England caps.

"This is a great opportunity for me to play regular league football again and force myself back into the England set-up," he told Portsmouth's website.

"The club have big ambitions and I'm looking forward to playing a part in them."

Johnson has made 68 appearances in total for Chelsea, but just eight of them came last season.

But Pompey boss Harry Redknapp said he had long been an admirer of the defender.

"He is a top defender and will continue to get better, so this is a real top quality capture for us.

"The lad has a great future ahead of him. He is already an outstanding defender and the kind of player most Premier League sides would give their right arm for."

At least he wont need to worry about having his passport this season.

Guest CrimsonFault
Thank God, the last thing we needed was this clown at right back.

154395[/snapback]

We have one, he's fat and Irish.