Glenn tribute to ace Nobby

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has hailed the spirt of Nobby Solano after the South American ace simply shrugged off the trauma of a near-fatal summer car crash in Peru.

Solano somehow climbed out of the wreckage of his vehicle in Lima with just a few scrapes last month, after complaining of jet-lag in his native Peru when he headed home for a break.

However, Solano breezed back into pre-season training with Newcastle without a care in the world with Roeder more than impressed.

He said today: "It has basically been the same old Nobby, which is fantastic. He has been full of enthusiasm and still has that great willingness to do well for this club.

"He is a player that everybody still admires and when we do warm-ups in training he always does them properly and using the right technique.

"Nobby is a good example to the younger players, and if you ever need somebody to demonstrate something he is the man."

Solano re-joined team-mates after six weeks' break, but will be considered one of Roeder's key men in United's two-legged InterToto Cup tie against Lillestrom or Keflavik on July 15.

And even though the former Boca Juniors ace is considered one of the more experienced squad members at Newcastle, Roeder revealed Solano is still as keen as mustard and can't wait to get started again after a successful return to Tyneside last term.

Solano, 31, was sold to Aston Villa under Sir Bobby Robson, but made a return to United in a deal that saw James Milner head the other way on loan.

Now the pair could find themselves in the same team together in United's first European tie.

Roeder had high praise for Solano's approach to life at St James' Park.

He added: "Nobby is simply a man who is in love with football.

"And I know when he does retire from the game he will miss football very much."

However, Roeder does not expect the Peruvian, who is his own country's version of Wayne Rooney or David Beckham, to remain out of the game for long and expects him to go into coaching after when his playing days are over. He said: "Nobby is a big, big name in Peru.

"And it would not be a surprise to me if he ends up being the national coach of Peru.

"When we have had discussions about coaching he has always shown an interest and I think it is what he wants to do after he finishes playing."

Solano has always proved to be a popular figure in a black-and-white shirt but revelled in Roeder's more attacking brand of football after Graeme Souness was sacked.

Roeder's emphasis on wing play was meat and drink for Nobby and the Toon boss acknowledged it is that type of player the Geordies want to see.

He said: "Nobby is a good example of what our supporters appreciate.

"Firstly they want to see the team win, but after that I think they always want to see two or three special players like Solano.

"Emre is another one like Nobby and he can entertain when the ball is at his feet.

"They catch the imagination of the fans."

Do any teams have coaches for specefic positions in the teams? Like Wingers? Could keep Nobby on as one of them when he retires from football and have him teach free kicks and crosses and wing play.

155222[/snapback]

You mean get an ex-pro to teach a professional footballer how to kick/pass a ball?

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

Do any teams have coaches for specefic positions in the teams? Like Wingers? Could keep Nobby on as one of them when he retires from football and have him teach free kicks and crosses and wing play.

155222[/snapback]

You mean get an ex-pro to teach a professional footballer how to kick/pass a ball?

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

155275[/snapback]

Wow, if I ever need to show my kids the meaning of changing someone's words, it's right there in your post.

155222[/snapback]

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

155275[/snapback]

Isn't that called "Coaching" ?

i reckon we should try nobby up front as a withdrawn second striker. he might do well in the beardsley role behind someone with a bit of pace. it would also give us the chance of using a direct, quicker right winger.