Hargreaves

Kid Dynamite

Can we swap him for Dyer please!

I suppose the one thing going for Sven is that hes the only person in the free world who saw that he could actually play football given half a chance!

155402[/snapback]

Contrary to popular opinion, England is not the free world.

The bloke is not a regular for Bayern Munich for nowt.

While I'm no Sven fan, there's something of an irony in so many people saying (rightly so) "he's taken Walcott - madness, he's never seen him play" while in the same sentence, the majority of the same people will have been saying "Hargreaves is shite", despite the fact that they'd never seen him play either.

Hargreaves showed talent, determination, urgency, and the bulldog spirit that one hopes to see for club & country, .......if the other midfielders' performences had been half of what his was it would have been a cake-walk and there would have been no overtime, no penalty shoot-out, and Rooney's exit would have been a slight hiccup.

As it was, Beckham, Cole, Gerrard, and Lampard, did not perform as good as they are capable of.

Hargreaves showed talent, determination, urgency, and the bulldog spirit that one hopes to see for club & country, .......if the other midfielders' performences had been half of what his was it would have been a cake-walk and there would have been no overtime, no penalty shoot-out, and Rooney's exit would have been a slight hiccup.

As it was, Beckham, Cole, Gerrard, and Lampard, did not perform as good as they are capable of.

155431[/snapback]

Agreed.

:D

To be fair like we didn't see the best of him until SGE was forced into making a change after Rooney went off.

SGE wasted him at right back and then DM. Whilst Hargreaves can tackle and close players down etc, when playing in the holding role it is very important to always make yourself available to take the ball of defenders and then dictate the play, this was something that Carrick was good at but Hargeaves was poor at.

Hargreaves only excelled when we went to a 4-4-1 and then he was the one driving forward from midfield rather than the poor Gerrard and Lampard.

So, although SGE rightly included him in his squad, he never utilised him in his strongest position until events forced him to do so..

I blame over-excited Mods J69

I'll happily admit that I was wrong about Hargreaves, I thought that he was a journeyman, but he seems to be quite sharp, his passing isn't great, but that's forgivable.

I wouldn't sign him simply because I don't think we need a midfielder, we need a striker a couple of center halves and a set of full backs.

Fantastic effort from Hargreaves against Portugal for 120 mins and the only penalty scored.

But its typical of Sven that he had this player who he rated and others didn't and he pissed the bloke aroudn and made him look shite. He's a defensive midfilder who has shown what he can do in that role when he gets full games, but Sven spent years using him from the bench to come on and change games when we're struggling or chasing the game.

I found the amount of stick Hargreaves got from a lot of people very odd. He was an easy target for people who actually wanted to criticise Eriksson and did find in Hargreaves a nice scapegoat for everything.

I found the amount of stick Hargreaves got from a lot of people very odd. He was an easy target for people who actually wanted to criticise Eriksson and did find in Hargreaves a nice scapegoat for everything.

155487[/snapback]

To be fair, you've had the privilege of watching Hargreaves regularly and playing in his preferred position, whereas all we have seen of Hargreaves is when he's been chucked on the pitch by Eriksson, usually when the game has gone tits up and out of position.

155487[/snapback]

To be fair, you've had the privilege of watching Hargreaves regularly and playing in his preferred position, whereas all we have seen of Hargreaves is when he's been chucked on the pitch by Eriksson, usually when the game has gone tits up and out of position.

155495[/snapback]

Actually, Eriksson hasn't really played him out of position. I think except of keeper he has more or less played in every position at club level. Of course there is a bit of difference between club level and in picking the national squad where you normally should be able to pick a special player for every position and therefore versality isn't that much needed.

I do remember the game against Northern Ireland when it was ridiculous that people where more or less blaming Hargreaves for the loss. People didn't criticise those players who were on the pitch for about 80 mins and were crap as well, but the bloke who only played about 10 minutes but didn't turn the game. And chucking in Hargreaves often did make sense too me. Hargreaves is pacey, can run at defenders and has good long shot, so the right attributes to in fact be able to change a match.

Guest Sima

155487[/snapback]

155495[/snapback]

Who's this we? You got a mouse in your pocket?

155487[/snapback]

155495[/snapback]

Who's this we? You got a mouse in your pocket?

155504[/snapback]

That's no mouse in his pocket :(

155487[/snapback]

155495[/snapback]

Actually, Eriksson hasn't really played him out of position. I think except of keeper he has more or less played in every position at club level. Of course there is a bit of difference between club level and in picking the national squad where you normally should be able to pick a special player for every position and therefore versality isn't that much needed.

I do remember the game against Northern Ireland when it was ridiculous that people where more or less blaming Hargreaves for the loss. People didn't criticise those players who were on the pitch for about 80 mins and were crap as well, but the bloke who only played about 10 minutes but didn't turn the game. And chucking in Hargreaves often did make sense too me. Hargreaves is pacey, can run at defenders and has good long shot, so the right attributes to in fact be able to change a match.

155501[/snapback]

Accepted, but all of Hargreave's rightful praise from yesterday's performance, doesn't alter the fact that prior to that he was bloody aweful for England.

he got so much stick because eriksson kept bringing him on for ten minuted here and there, playing him out of position and expecting him to turn a game. he isn't that sort of player.

he's shown his true class given a run in his favoured position and should keep lampard out of the side on current form. he's one of the few good things to have come out of the eriksson era.

Edited by Dan

he's shown his true class given a run in his favoured position and should keep lampard out of the side on current form.

it's blatently obvious that's what should happen. I just hope McLaren won't be another yes man, and will actually do it!

He had an outstanding game against Portugal and I felt more sorry for him than any of the others when we got beat because he personally didn't deserve it.

"There were some performances that defied logic," said Gary Neville, never an easy man to please. "Owen Hargreaves was incredible. Six weeks ago they were booing him and Peter Crouch, and now they are singing his name. They should continue to sing his name because that was incredible. Sometimes during a game you don't notice performances, and when you do it must be a great performance. It was everything you want an England player to give. I said to him afterwards you could not have done any more."

Good craic from Gary Neville.

Edited by Gemmill

"There were some performances that defied logic," said Gary Neville, never an easy man to please. "Owen Hargreaves was incredible. Six weeks ago they were booing him and Peter Crouch, and now they are singing his name. They should continue to sing his name because that was incredible. Sometimes during a game you don't notice performances, and when you do it must be a great performance. It was everything you want an England player to give. I said to him afterwards you could not have done any more."

Good craic from Gary Neville.

155979[/snapback]

I still do call the criticism Hargreaves got xenophobia, Just because he wasn't playing for one of the fancy teams like ManUre, Arsenal or Liverpool but being a Canadian playing in Jormany he was looked out being a cheap target.