Ruud alert

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are ready to abandon their interest in Dirk Kuyt - and launch a bold bid for his fellow Dutchman, Ruud van Nistelrooy.

United have gone cool on Kuyt after he failed to impress Alan Shearer during Holland's abortive World Cup campaign.

With Feyenoord quoting a price of £14 million for him, the verdict at St James's Park is that 25-year-old Kuyt (right) is too big a gamble.

And so Newcastle are now preparing to make their move for Van Nistelrooy, one of the Premiership's most successful ever strikers.

The former PSV Eindhoven star is demanding talks with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson this week aimed at booking his passage out of Old Trafford.

And although they face serious competition from top Spanish and Italian clubs, Newcastle will go all out in a bid to convince Van Nistelrooy (above) to stay in England.

With Shearer newly retired and Michael Owen sidelined for the rest of the year, United face a desperate shortage of striking options.

But with James Milner returning from his loan spell at Aston Villa, the Magpies are still only seeking two new forwards.

Anyone who says they wouldnt have him is crazy. 150 goals in 5 years!

155772[/snapback]

I think 99% of Newcastle fans would love for us to sign him. It's only 1% likely though, surely?

155818[/snapback]

I'd say it's even less likely than that tbh.

If you just look at his scoring record he would be a fantastic signing, there is no doubt about that. But I am not sure if he really would be a fantastic signing just down to financial reasons. ManUre will demand a huge transfer fee and Nistelrooy himself will demand enormous wages. Unfortunately the player is already 30 and so isn't a long term investment anymore. He probably has about 2-3 good seasons in him. But can Newcastle really afford it to spend more or less 30m in total on a player to have him on the books for about three seasons and then he probably going to leave for next to nothing?

United have gone cool on Kuyt after he failed to impress Alan Shearer during Holland's abortive World Cup campaign.

If world cup form is what they go on then you couldn't give Lampard away at the moment, can't shoot, can't pass, can't tackle, slow and bottles it on the big occasion.

Edited by ChocChip

Guest alex

If world cup form is what they go on then you couldn't give Lampard away at the moment, can't shoot, can't pass, can't tackle, slow and bottles it on the big occasion.

155862[/snapback]

I don't know what's worse, going off World Cup form or Shearer still running the show despite not being involved the manager or a player any more.

There's nothing wrong with GR asking AS to assess a player. In fact, who better than Shearer to look at a centre forward especially one who plays in a similar fashion? Only a dipshit would see a problem with that.

Guest alex
There's nothing wrong with GR asking AS to assess a player. In fact, who better than Shearer to look at a centre forward especially one who plays in a similar fashion?  Only a dipshit would see a problem with that.

155904[/snapback]

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches, judges of players and / or scouts. Only a dipshit would assume they do :(

155772[/snapback]

I honestly wouldnt have any former Man U players. They play like theyre on garden leave anywhere else after Old Trafford. Not having AF as their boss anymore and playing with sub standard players they soon lose interest and I can understand why. I think we'd be a de-motivating experience for him tbh.

155772[/snapback]

I honestly wouldnt have any former Man U players. They play like theyre on garden leave anywhere else after Old Trafford. Not having AF as their boss anymore and playing with sub standard players they soon lose interest and I can understand why. I think we'd be a de-motivating experience for him tbh.

155913[/snapback]

or on the otherhand he could be sore and bitter at the way he's been treated at man u, giving him a burning desire to prove to AF and any other doubters, that he is still one of the best strikers in the prem.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to sign RVN if we had 4 strikers never mind having pretty much none at the moment!

But we won't have the money and there will be bigger European clubs who will be ahead of us in the queue.

I can't see any point in us chasing Van Nistelrooy, Torres and Kuyt. Unless we throw some serious money down I doubt we'll have any chance of signing any of them and what's worse, I don't think we have any serious money.

155772[/snapback]

155913[/snapback]

or on the otherhand he could be sore and bitter at the way he's been treated at man u, giving him a burning desire to prove to AF and any other doubters, that he is still one of the best strikers in the prem.

155995[/snapback]

It's a nice thought, I'll give you that much.

They had a report in Jormany's leading football magazine today that did make me think. They did reckon that if Bayern would sign RvN it would cost them 40m in 3-4 years. Apparently Bayern (a club with a healthy financial system) would stem it, but it would be a risk.

My question is: Is the Horseface worth 10m a year in wages and transfer sum each year for scoring a couple of goals? I don't really think he would make Newastle a title chasing team. So far I do expect Newcastle to play for a top 6 place with RvN it would be a CL you don't get for granted. IMHO Newcastle should rather look for a younger player who they at least could try to sell if he fails. If RvN fails at Newcastle his market price will be disgusting...

They had a report in Jormany's leading football magazine today that did make me think. They did reckon that if Bayern would sign RvN it would cost them 40m in 3-4 years. Apparently Bayern (a club with a healthy financial system) would stem it, but it would be a risk.

My question is: Is the Horseface worth 10m a year in wages and transfer sum each year for scoring a couple of goals? I don't really think he would make Newastle a title chasing team. So far I do expect Newcastle to play for a top 6 place with RvN it would be a CL you don't get for granted. IMHO Newcastle should rather look for a younger player who they at least could try to sell if he fails. If RvN fails at Newcastle his market price will be disgusting...

156090[/snapback]

:(

Love the expression!

Agree about RvN & cost implications btw. Better spent elsewhere.