Expectations for next season?

Bombadil

It is not really the same squad as last season when we have lost Shearer (from the pitch and as assistant manager), Owen is out until goodness knows when and much as I didn't like him Bowyer who was one of our better midfielders has gone.

Then you also have to take into account other teams around us e.g. Spurs, Everton etc improving.

Unless Freddy Shepherd amazes me with his signings in the next few weeks I believe we will finish in the bottom half of the table. The better teams try and tie up the signings at the start of the close season so that the new players can start pre-season with the squad. We are back in training without any new faces. We are either completely skint as the Luque needs a chance quotes suggest or will probably end up with panic buys (I have no faith in either Roeder or Shepherd's history of signings)

Anyone who thinks we will finish in a Champions League spot is deluded. As NUFC.com say Sky clearly don't see us as a top team anymore because they aren't televising any of our matches with Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc

If ameobi is anything but a 4th choice striker then we won't be scoring any goals. I see another patchy season where we'll have a couple of surges but will be overall inconsistent and we'll be lucky to challenge for a top six spot. All the usual excuses will be trotted out and we'll be in the same position next summer. The same muppets will be claiming that ameoba is still young....pushing 26 by then....and will show us what he can do next season when he can partner a rejeuvenated Michael Owen who unfortunately only manages a few games in April.

This will happen unless GR shows some creativity in the market and unearths a couple of productive forwards who are able to settle immediately and produce goals. That probably means no foreigners, unless they have shown they can do the business in the premier league, as they'll require the mandatory 12 month settling in period.

I expect to be proved right in my opion that we are a 3rd rate piss poorly ran club who are now firmly one of the also rans.

I hope we manage to find some players from somewhere and that our manager far exceeds my expectations of him. I doubt this will happen though.

I really do have my lowest expectations of a coming season for as long as I can remember. And considering Souness was our manager this time last year that is saying something.

I expect to be proved right in my opion that we are a 3rd rate piss poorly ran club who are now firmly one of the also rans.

I hope we manage to find some players from somewhere and that our manager far exceeds my expectations of him.  I doubt this will happen though.

I really do have my lowest expectations of a coming season for as long as I can remember.  And considering Souness was our manager this time last year that is saying something.

155912[/snapback]

Agreed. We've been directionless for about 3 years now and stagnation like that at this level takes some overhauling.

Shepherd needs to get his act together and sort out the players we want.

155956[/snapback]

He's shown for many years now that backing his manager with money isn't the way to succeed, despite what some people claim.

Now that Roeder has been given the job permanently i expect the players to start acting like the cocktasters that they are and put in piss poor performances week in week out, they'll then blame roeder and we'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

Thats my honest opinion about the current state of affairs at our club, 6th or 7th........keep sniffing the evo

I hope we manage to find some players from somewhere and that our manager far exceeds my expectations of him.  I doubt this will happen though.

I really do have my lowest expectations of a coming season for as long as I can remember.  And considering Souness was our manager this time last year that is saying something.

155912[/snapback]

I honestly don't feel it's all doom and gloom - personally, I'm more optimistic about our chances than I was this time last year (admittedly, that was before we bought Owen). Roeder has done okay so far and he seems to have the players on his side, unlike the previous regime. I'm optimistic and I think we'll surprise a few people.

Having said that, we really are a piss poorly run club...if we do well, it will be in spite of the people at the top and not because of them.

Shepherd needs to get his act together and sort out the players we want.

155956[/snapback]

He's shown for many years now that backing his manager with money isn't the way to succeed, despite what some people claim.

155961[/snapback]

So we should buy half the team from the mackems, or Francis Jeffers today ?

Funny because we finished 7th last season with the same squad (minus Shearer) despite a horrendous first half to the season.  I don't see how 5th or 6th is "pie in the sky" taking into account that fact and the assumption that we WILL be making some signings.

155799[/snapback]

That's what I was trying to say. We have an easy start to the season on paper and if we make the most of that, like Tottenham did last season and Everton the season before last, finishing 5th or 6th will be a possibility.

Unless we soon pull a few much needed rabbits out the hat i firmly believe that we are fucked.

A 20 goal a season striker is what we should have, we don't. Owen injured, Luque god knows, ameobi god help us. that leaves us with ..........................................................................................................