Hobbies.

catmag

I used to love chess, second best in my school, did okay at chess Congresses. Played until university and haven't played since. Far too taxing to even bother now.

Best player I ever played against was a jail bird who was a flat mate for a while. Learnt in prison, obviously. I couldn't beat him. 

39 minutes ago, Renton said:

I used to love chess, second best in my school, did okay at chess Congresses. Played until university and haven't played since. Far too taxing to even bother now.

Best player I ever played against was a jail bird who was a flat mate for a while. Learnt in prison, obviously. I couldn't beat him. 

Not surprising- if he could stay focused on his Berlin Defense whilst getting bummed to oblivion, not even your seagull psychosis would’ve phased him. 

16 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Hey nerds what's backgammon like? Does it have to be played for money for the game to work? 

It's a good game but I haven't played for ages really. Got into one holiday in Greece and used to play against a local who had a bar when it was quiet, which was pretty much all the time. It's probably better played sipping Metaxa watching the sun set over the Aegean but so are most things I imagine.

16 hours ago, adios said:

I'm not even at a level where I can comprehend Blitz.  A friend of mine is proper good at it and beat me so badly I was traumatised for a long time.

You just need to find whichever game length suits you really. Like I said I like 3 min Blitz but 1 min or 2|1 Bullet is just too hectic for me and I'm just not very good at that speed. In Blitz even going to 5 mins is much more sedate than 3 mins and you can play 10 mins too (plus 3|2 and 15|10). Also there's rapid chess (30 mins) which is just 'normal' chess as it were. On Chess.com a lot of people seem to have one preferred way of playing.

28 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

So it’s a bit like the different modes in Tetris?

More or less

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...