The Golden Generation

Gemmill

Is anyone buying this stuff in the press about the end of the golden generation? Seems to me that the bulk of the current team (minus Neville and Beckham) will still be around come the next World Cup, and when you add in players like Lennon, Walcott (if he's actually any good) and obviously future England captain Steven Taylor ( :( ) the future's not all that bad.

Yes, I think an opportunity has been wasted in this tournament by Sven's inability to mould a team out of the players at his disposal, but I don't think it's the end of the world that the press are making out. I think to an extent it's a desperate desire on behalf of the press to lay as much blame at Eriksson's feet as possible.

I was thinking about that myself last night.

Something like this?

.....................Rooney....... ?

Downing....Gerrard..Parker....Lennon

A. Cole..... Terry.......Taylor...... ?

..................Kirkland (injury free permitting? )

You just need to find the next shearer from somewhere : P

Edited by khay

I was thinking about that myself last night.

Something like this?

.....................Rooney....... ? 

Downing....Gerrard..Parker....Lennon

A. Cole..... Terry.......Taylor...... ?

..................Kirkland (injury  free permitting? )

You just need to find the next shearer from somewhere : P

155645[/snapback]

Parker will never play for England in the future unless he cuts down on the "must go to ground" theory he seems to have adopted.

Robinson will be number one keeper for the next 6-8 years too I would have thought.

The golden generation are just as overhyped as any previous bunch of England players. We will always be caught out at international level until we progress technically and stop believing the guff about how good we are, and acheive the same level of basic technical skill as the true good international teams.

Apart from 1966 we have got to a grand total of one semi-final. We just arent as good as we think we are

The golden generation are just as overhyped as any previous bunch of England players. We will always be caught out at international level until we progress technically and stop believing the guff about how good we are, and acheive the same level of basic technical skill as the true good international teams.

Apart from 1966 we have got to a grand total of one semi-final. We just arent as good as we think we are

155715[/snapback]

You read my mind.

Have to say though. The majority of our current team could walk into any other squad.

You can only call it bad management. Expected nowt more on Erriksons previous form though.

the core of the team could be the same for the next world cup, unless some quality new youngsters break through.

assuming owen's knee injury deprives him of pace and mobility, maybe walcott can take his role alongside rooney - he's going to be learning from the likes henry and wenger at arsenal.

the only problem position could be right back i can't see a 35 year old neville still being up for it and there aren't too many other quality english right backs around at the moment.

something like this i reckon....

--------------------robinson

???--------terry-----------ferdinand------a cole

lennon----hargreaves----gerrard---------j cole

----------rooney-----------walcott/???