Frings Suspension

Gemmill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...any/5138652.stm

He's been banned for two matches for punching Julio Cruz in the aftermath of the Germany-Argentina shootout. The weird thing is that he's been given a two match ban, but the second match has been "suspended" to allow him to play in the World Cup final, should Germany get there. Is that sort of thing normal, or is this just FIFA shitting themselves at the prospect of banning one of the hosts players from the final?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...any/5138652.stm

He's been banned for two matches for punching Julio Cruz in the aftermath of the Germany-Argentina shootout.  The weird thing is that he's been given a two match ban, but the second match has been "suspended" to allow him to play in the World Cup final, should Germany get there.  Is that sort of thing normal, or is this just FIFA shitting themselves at the prospect of banning one of the hosts players from the final?

155973[/snapback]

The other thing is that he wasn't going to get any suspension until some officials did intervene. That is the version of the Jorman tabloids by the way...

Frings does deserve his ban because he was clearly trying to punch a Argentine player. Normal ban is three matches. He was provoked and he didn't hit him hard, so you can argue about a 1-2 match ban. He got something in between and I do think it is a fair decision. It will cost us very much because Frings has had a fantastic tournament so far. Especially against Argentina he was just outstanding.

I think Frings is a quality player, my mate has an irrational hatred for him but he links up with Ballack so well in that midfield.

156084[/snapback]

Well, I think I got it wrong for Euro 2004 when I told O-Nut that no Czech player would win the golden boot, but I did suggest to look out for Frings. At this stage he was up for graps for a decent price. Dortmund were struggling and he ended up at Bayern were he wasn't used correctly. As a hard working midfielder in the Keane/Makelele way there are not too many players in the world who can do the same job IMHO and his performances during the world cup have proved it. Getting him for 5-6m would have been a canny deal.

The other thing is that he wasn't going to get any suspension until some officials did intervene. That is the version of the Jorman tabloids by the way...

156079[/snapback]

The line I heard was "evil bastards from Italian TV sent the footage to FIFA and insisted blah blah blah". Love it. :(