Penalties

Ted Maul

Did anyone else notice that all the ones Ricardo saved were pretty much in the middle. They weren't right down the throat of the 'keeper but they weren't tucked right in the bottom corner like a good penalty should be.

If we've been practicing penalties nearly every day like Sven said then we certainly haven't been practising good enough.

IMHO it's just down to confidence. Jormany haven't missed a penalty since 1982 IIRC. So you just turn up, thinking you are a fantastic and hit it into some corner. English players get told they are crap at penalties, they turn up and hit it right at the keeper (even if the first one was actually quite good ... if the referee would have given the clearance),

I've seen quite a few players score the 'perfect' penalties- which go in hitting the inside of the side of the net with power. No goalkeeper is going to save them. The shorter keepers won't reach, the taller ones won't get down in time.

I don't mean to blow smoke up my country's arse, as it were, but all our penalties in the shootout against Uruguay last year were perfect. Except Viduka, but all in all honesty I expected him to miss anyway, because he's SHIT.

Even more impressive was the fact that was Australia's first shootout since 1993, which we won also. We rule!

Graham Taylor was on 5 live a day or 2 ago asking if they practice the whole deal...like walking from the centre circle to take each penalty etc....putting money on it might help too...like everyone chips in £10k so there's a fair pot of money to be won....

Whatever, it's too common an occurence to not look at very closely as to how we can improve and overcome the nerves.

Euro 96: penalties

WC 98: penalties

Euro 00:

WC 02:

Euro 04: penalties

WC 06: penalties

:(

Didn't Sven go on record before the tournament saying that there's no point in practising penalties as you can't recreate the atmosphere? (Which Frank Skinner pulled apart by saying there's no point in training then given that explanation!)

Well done Sven......well done!

Personally, I'd be tapping FIFA to see if we'd be allowed to finish our friendly matches with a penalty shoot out just to give the lads as much practice as possible. I agree with Isegrim that it's all a confidence thing, so bollocks to getting them to allow us 11 substitutes in friendly matches, lets having something which potentially could help us!

It is obviously difficult to recreate the pressure in training, but the best preparation I heard was Ady Boothroyd at Watford last season, asked the crowd to stay behind after a game to create a proper atmosphere and the players practiced penalties with a crowd.

Guest alex

I bet Tiger Woods still practises along the lines of 'this putt to win the Open' even though you can't recreate the pressure.

It's a tabloid 'allegedly' but they were supposed to have practicsed penalties last week.

And allegedly the stewards were kept busy fetching balls that had missed the target.

Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it might explain why the England penalties in the shootout went quite central and at 'saveable' height instead of low and hard in the corners.

They'd have been better off just copying the Germans from the night before, they were absolutely brilliant.

Players have mentioned in interviews that they had praticed pens more than any England team has ever done and they based to choice of Lampard first as he was easilly the best followed by Carragher (which was why he came on as sub) and that they were suprememly confident of winning on pens.

And everyone saw what happene which is why i said before the world cup that praticing kicking a ball from 12 yards for proffesional footballers woudl do little or no good at all when it has nothign in common with a place in the semis of a world cup at stake with a full stadium, millions at home counting on you and you have to handle that pressure.

All of your 5 chosen can take a penaly, they're international footballers and of the team they are the best, practice or not they are capable of hitting a goal from that distance.

What counts is how you handle the situation and we like a few other teams just never do, whereas the Germans and apprently the Portugese handle it well (or have a keeper adept at saving them!)

We spent ages practicing like never before and what did we get, 1 single, solitary penalty scored, it did no good whatsoever because it comes down to the situation and we made a mess of it again.

The Germans just seem to have the perfect combination of confidence/arrogance/self belief, cool, calm detached emotions and almost robotic ability to hit that target under imense pressure.

Anyone know who the nominated 5th person was going to be?? My guess was either John Terry or Ashley Cole.

I agree with what Lineker said - Owen, Rooney and Beckham would have been dead certs and I'm guessing were involved in the practicising which occurred prior to the Sweden game...

One suggestion I heard was to abolish draws in all matches even in domestic football, and have a penalty shoot out decide the winner, so that a penalty shoot out isn't such a shock to the system during international tournaments.

Anyone know who the nominated 5th person was going to be?? My guess was either John Terry or Ashley Cole.

I agree with what Lineker said - Owen, Rooney and Beckham would have been dead certs and I'm guessing were involved in the practicising which occurred prior to the Sweden game...

156847[/snapback]

I think Terry would be the sort to step up, so he'd be a good shout.

And as you say Owen, Rooney and Beckham would have been among the penalty takers.