Toon test for French striker

khay

Newcastle's search for a new striker has prompted the club to look into the French market for reinforcements, with Garra Dembele reportedly set for a trial at St James' Park.

With Alan Shearer retired and Michael Owen on the sidelines, Newcastle are desperately short of attacking options ahead of their Intertoto Cup campaign.

Shola Ameobi is not yet fully recovered from the hip complaint which plagued him last season, leaving manager Glenn Roeder with just Albert Luque and James Milner as available attacking options.

Roeder is targeting a big-name striker this summer, but he is also prepared to take a gamble on a rough diamond and this has prompted interest in Dembele.

The 20-year-old, a France Under-20 international, is on the books of Auxerre but could be available for transfer this summer.

Newspaper reports state Dembele will be put through his paces on Tyneside during pre-season, and that a deal could be pushed through if he makes a positive impression on Roeder.

Next Henry.

I know this is not going to the answer to our striking problems but I am pretty pleased to hear about us going for someone like this. We all keep saying how we should be bringing in youngsters like we have with the Zog. If it turns out well we could have a future star if not we don't lose much unlike the big money foreign signings of Viana, Boumsong and Luque.

Jul 9 2006

By The Sunday Sun

Newcastle face competition from Bolton, Charlton and Manchester City for on-trial striker Garra Dembele.

The France Under-20 international has been on Tyneside all week training with Glenn Roeder's squad.

But despite United's lack of attacking options, no decision has yet been made on whether to sign Dembele, who is currently with Auxerre.

And that could allow one of Newcastle's Premiership rivals to step in and land the pacy youngster.

On Trail at Barnsley now.

158205[/snapback]

I saw that. thought i was going menntal for a second.

158329[/snapback]

Guess that's what happens, when you've got a 20 year-old who hasn't played for an average French team.

158205[/snapback]

158329[/snapback]

Guess that's what happens, when you've got a 20 year-old who hasn't played for an average French team.

158331[/snapback]

N'Zogbia had never played for a poor French team.

158205[/snapback]

158329[/snapback]

158331[/snapback]

N'Zogbia had never played for a poor French team.

158332[/snapback]

He was barely 18, mind you.

Too bad he and Morisson rejected by us. It can't be worse by having them in our team, no?

159067[/snapback]

If we sigend the French striker, that would suggest we won't be signing one of these 20 goal a season players supposed to replace Shearer.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Too bad he and Morisson rejected by us. It can't be worse by having them in our team, no?

159067[/snapback]

If we sigend the French striker, that would suggest we won't be signing one of these 20 goal a season players supposed to replace Shearer.

159073[/snapback]

No but it would suggest a long term option on the cheap and hopefully an unearthed gem whilst still being able to afford a 20 goal a season striker.

159067[/snapback]

159073[/snapback]

No but it would suggest a long term option on the cheap and hopefully an unearthed gem whilst still being able to afford a 20 goal a season striker.

159083[/snapback]

Agree.

If Roeder believe by signing him (if it happen) he doesn't have to sign a 20 goals a season striker anymore, then I won't keep my faith in him again

Edited by niina